K-mod!

Threads about water gun modifications.
BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sun May 23, 2004 4:15 am

Sorry about the double post, but this is way later in the day, and I have some news to report about the origional topic of this thread.
I completely messed up the check valve freeze as most know. And after drilling into the T to try and clear away a path to the pressure chamber, I realized I would have had to cut the screw and do a bunch of fansy smanshy patchup work.
I knew I wouldn't be able to do this, at least not within a few days of tries, so I came up with a new idea. I completely cut off the T so that the pump shaft was not at all connected to the tubing to the PC. Then after a trip to the hardware store, I used epoxy as a sealent to connect the pump shaft, and the tubing with some vinyl tubing. Ta-da! It hasn't dried yet, but there is no way it can't work. Plus it looks way better with just that tubing instead of a bunch of screws, and epoxy and partial check valves. I recommend this for anyone who ****s up their check valve freeze like me.

EDIT: spelling
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 23, 2004 2:08 pm

...actually, there is no way that will work good. If you cut out of the the actual check valves, either the water won't be pumped in at all, or your pump will be hard as XPBackfire-esque to pump. I know, I've experimented with this stuff. You could however buy a check valve at the store and attach it to the tubing and it will work fine. Go to Lowes, buy a 1/2" ID check valve, 2 couplers (the kind with a PVC and screw on side), 2 barbed fittings that will screw in to the screw on side (they're easier to find at Home Depot), and 2 tubing clamps. That will work. Make sure the check valve is facing the correct direction. Take a picture of this when it's done, maybe I could add it to the article as an example of what you can do when it goes wrong.
I just built one. I need to epoxy the leaks, and add some more innertubing to the PC. So far I only have one tire's worth of tubing.
No, use PVC cement on the leaks. If you made it without any PVC cement or PVC purple primer, then you don't even know what you are doing. PVC primer gets the PVC clean and ready for the cement. PVC cement melts the PVC together. You're supposed to use both. Epoxy from what I know doesn't work very will with PVC anyway. At least use Plumbers Goop, or maybe even that stuff Xray has.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sun May 23, 2004 6:34 pm

I did use purple primer and all purpose pipe glue. I got the all purpose cus my gun is like 20% ABS. The part where it leaks, is where the ABS connects to the PVC. The weight of the water was pulling down on the ABS and the glue couldn't hold it. So I drilled in some silicone covered screws to take the weight, and so the glue would only be responsible for the seal. I let it dry overnight, and the next day I tried it, but the glue hadn't made a good seal, so I coted the outside with silicone, so it made a sort of fish tank seal. Now there is just a small leak, and I don't think that PVC glue will work on it.

EDIT: and about the mod not working... it works fine, none of your fancy stuff. Also, the term hard as XPBackfire-esque is stupid....XPBackfire-esque Ain'T tHat HarD!
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 23, 2004 9:40 pm

Well, I don't know what ABS is, but I do know another one of your problems. Never think silicone glue is for pressure. It does not hold pressure at all. Maybe if you replace the silicone with something else it might fix the leak.

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sun May 23, 2004 11:26 pm

Also, the term hard as XPBackfire-esque is stupid....XPBackfire-esque Ain'T tHat HarD!
oooooook.......

Back to the topic...

I have decided that I will be putting 60 balloons on my 12000, then I will valve freeze. I have now this on my soaker:

CPS 12000:
K mod at 25 balloons, soon to be 60.
Soon-To-Be-Frozen check valve.
Custom pump handle. (I'll have a pic soon)
Drilled nozzle, Aprox. 6X.

That sound good?
I don't check this forum anymore.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Mon May 24, 2004 1:39 am

Dude, you will have like the same gun as me now. Cept I have 70 balloons, no custom pump handle, and as many repairs as the VW.

EDIT: [at] doom, ABS plastic is the stuff that those black pipes are made of that you always see next to PVC. They are traditionaly used for waste lines. As for the silicone glue, I used it only in sealing the leak that was in the reservoir which shouldn't be taking much pressure. As for how well it holds pressure: Silicone is used to seal huge fish tanks which must be creating a large amount of pressure just by gravity, Especially in 100 gallons or bigger.
BlueSoak.net

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Mon May 24, 2004 1:43 pm

The handle is made out of 1/2 inch PVC, I'll have pics and instructions how to make one.
I don't check this forum anymore.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon May 24, 2004 9:17 pm

As for how well it holds pressure: Silicone is used to seal huge fish tanks which must be creating a large amount of pressure just by gravity, Especially in 100 gallons or bigger.
They probably use a hugeass amount on it. I don't care what it's used profesionally for, it's how I can use it that counts.

I've tried a few of my guns without pump handles and I actually liked it a bit better. I don't know why though. Try it to see if you like it.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Mon May 24, 2004 11:15 pm

I tried that and the holes where the screws went hurt my hands. I also feel like a get a better grip on the pump handle.
BlueSoak.net

DX

Post by DX » Tue May 25, 2004 12:32 am

My CPS 21000 is finally finished and working! The range has been extended so it now has a range of about 40-55ft. The nozzle is also way more than the original 7.5x, but I'm not sure how to figure out what the x is now.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Tue May 25, 2004 2:00 am

use isoaker's output for the xp 70, we don't have stats on it. take output of your 21k. divide 21k output by xp 70 output. that is your x rating.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 25, 2004 2:35 am

I don't use the XP 70's output. I use one ounce a second, or 29 ml a second. That is from what I know the XP 70's output. One ounce a second always seemed to make sense too, it just makes it simple.

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 26, 2004 1:04 am

Im trying to figure out the output of the 21k. Im not very good at this.......1 ounce per second.........Im weak on being able to tell how many ounces are shot a second. Im not about to examine the stream too close while its shooting, either, the gun has remarkable kickback and the stream is strong.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Wed May 26, 2004 1:19 am

I know what you mean. I thought I had finished my 12k. I put it back together, and after 3 pumps there was a huge eruption of water. I opened it up. Just to let you guys know, never use epoxy to seal two pieces of plastic tubing together. I guess its back to the hardware store again to pick up some barbs.
BlueSoak.net

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 26, 2004 1:23 am

I used some glue that was like epoxy, but it worked well. Nibor Dude and I let it dry overnight. We used a plastic square instead of the screw but it kept falling off. There was the hardened "crust" of glue so we put fresh glue on that, completely sealing the tube with nothing but glue. It works.