Convert Gorgon water reservoir into additional pressure tank?

Threads about water gun modifications.
DLVR8R

Convert Gorgon water reservoir into additional pressure tank?

Post by DLVR8R » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:51 am

I'm going to convert my Gorgon to draw water directly from a backpack tank. My original plan was to connect the backpack line directly to the pump's inlet, so that I could remove the reservoir tank from the gun altogether and save weight.

Then I thought, why don't I leave the reservoir on, but connect it to the existing pressure tank line, so that I could have a HUGE pressure reserve! I guess the only question is if the reservoir is strong enough to contain pressure, but it seems just as sturdy as any other pressure tank I've seen on a SS style gun. I would just have to plug the air vent on its cap and probably glue the cap on.

What do you think?

Oh yeah, first post, hi :D

atvan

Re: Convert Gorgon water reservoir into additional pressure tank?

Post by atvan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:59 am

Welcome to SSC!

Air pressure tends to work better with less volume. You will have to pre-pump and pump a lot to get anysort of range. I'm thinking at least 50 of air plus 50-100 of water. I it worth it to need 100 pumps to useable pressure?
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

DLVR8R

Post by DLVR8R » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:32 am

Makes sense.

Maybe what I should ask then is, what is the practical upper limit in volume, for the type of pressure tanks that come stock on the Gorgon?

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:42 pm

About 250 ml, or 1 cup are the stock numbers. Not sure what you are asking, though.
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:37 pm

It depends on how long you want to be pumping for. My air-pressure homemade has somewhere between 2-3L of capacity in the pressure chambers, but it takes 80 pumps to pressurize. That's the beauty of air pressure, the bigger a pressure chamber you put in, the more power you get, but the less practical it becomes.
If you're planning on replacing the Gorgon's pressure chambers, I would day the upper limit is around 1.5 or 2L total.

Fatalness

Post by Fatalness » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:05 pm

DLVR8R wrote: Then I thought, why don't I leave the reservoir on, but connect it to the existing pressure tank line, so that I could have a HUGE pressure reserve! I guess the only question is if the reservoir is strong enough to contain pressure, but it seems just as sturdy as any other pressure tank I've seen on a SS style gun.
From what i am reading you seem to have the parts confused :confused: or don't know how this particular gun works. The reservoir is not at all pressurized because the two chambers at the front are the PC's (pressure chamber). The reservoir only holds water but has a vacuum created whenever you pump that's why they have a valve in the cap.

What I did was i took advantage of this, and added pretty simple backpack. Check my signature.
My Very First Mod and Gun - The $5 Dollar QFD Backpack Mod

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:41 pm

He seems to understand. What he said was- make a backpack reservoir, convert the reservoir to PC, remove PCs. Just scale everything up. It would take too many pumps imo.
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

DLVR8R

Post by DLVR8R » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Atvan is correct.

I think what I will do is just stick with my plan and keep the stock PCs, and remove the reservoir completely (since I'll have the backpack reservoir). I have some other interesting ideas in mind, so I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks.

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:36 pm

Good Luck. We want pics!
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog