Lever-action pump for SC Powerpak

Threads about water gun modifications.
cantab

Lever-action pump for SC Powerpak

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:04 pm

I have an SC Powerpak and no QFD. Obviously I'll get round to making a QFD at some point. (I have managed to fill it anyway, but not without getting myself wet). However, I also think a pump would be useful.

I'd particularly like a lever-action design, like is used on knapsack sprayers.

http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatalog/ ... spray.html

That way I can pump with it still on my back. I'd probably have it take water from an intake hose into whatever I wanted.

Basically, how can I make a lever-action pump that will move as much water per stroke as a normal pump?
Or would I be better off attaching a normal pump to the blaster part?

Other mods I'm considering for the Powerpak:

'Stretching' the backpack, basically a PC case expansion.

Colossus, obviously.

Replacing the QFD intake with a Hozelock plug. That way it can be filled from most hoses without needing any other parts.

Nozzle mods obviously. The shower head doesn't seem too great, and 'fan' is exactly what I'm not of that type of nozzle.

Electronic fill gauge. This is one gun that actually needs it! Basically, the readout would be on the blaster part, so no need to take the backpack off to see how full it is.

Hose replacement. The stock one is kinked. More of a repair than a mod really.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

StormGlorious

Re: Lever-action pump for SC Powerpak

Post by StormGlorious » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:19 pm

The Sc Powerpak would take a hell of a lot of pumping! Otherwise this could be good.
Keep me posted.
Storm
Armoury:CPS 2500, CPS 1700, 2xCPS 2100, SC PowerPack,
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast
'Wherever there' s a Dark Age, There are Dark Apostles'
Play Magic: the Gathering

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:35 pm

Well, it would probably feel like a lot because it would be all in one go. But it shouldn't actually be more than it would take any other gun to get through the same amount of water (3.4l, similar to the CPSes 2000, 2500 or Monster X).

Besides, it's better than the gun being a paperweight when you're next to a sink and miles from a QFD
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:17 am

You may find that having to fill up a backpack up with a pump will get annoying. Seriously. I went with that route with my homemade (see signature) and it doesn't work as well as you think. Basically, unless you have a high-volume high-pressure pump, you're going to be finding you self pumping as long as shooting. I believe that's why there's a QFD on there in the first place.

If you do go with making a pump, then try and make the larges one you can pump using two hands. (that's important) If you make it smaller than that or you only use one hand you'll be there for too long. Just my advice,

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:59 am

You find yourself pumping more than shooting with most high-output guns. You're right, it will be annoying. But better than carrying a brick on my back because I'm out and away from a QFD.

You might also be right about just going with a big pump; something to put on the ground and pump two handed. That's how my larger garden sprayer works, and it takes about 50 pumps to pressurise 3l of water. So hopefully a powerpak pump would be similar.

One advantage I do have is since the powerpak is CPS, I can make the pump diameter wide (within limits) without it affecting gun performance.
Arsenal: