Water Warriors Orca... annoying sound

Threads about water gun modifications.
zuloon

Water Warriors Orca... annoying sound

Post by zuloon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:24 am

Is there any way to stop the Orca from making its annoying sound?

Silence

Re: Water Warriors Orca... annoying sound

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:40 am

Drill a tiny hole in the top of the reservoir and use glue to plug up the hole in the cap. The 2008 Orca has the cap on top anyway, so air being sucked into the reservoir doesn't go through the water and gurgle. It's a unique but gimmicky sound - I like it, but I am by no means hardcore. :p

zuloon

Post by zuloon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:51 am

It's 2007...

Wait are you talking about 2007 or 2008?

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:13 am

He's assuming you have the 2007 model with the cap on the bottom because the 2008 model has the cap on top and doesn't make the whale noises. His Post is clear on how to solve the problem. :)
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

zuloon

Post by zuloon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:31 am

Specter wrote:He's assuming you have the 2007 model with the cap on the bottom because the 2008 model has the cap on top and doesn't make the whale noises. His Post is clear on how to solve the problem. :)
Okay, thanks guys!

But, if there's a hole on the cap, why doesn't the water leak? :confused:

I'm wondering because I don't want my Orca to leak when I fill it.

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:29 am

It has a seal that lets air in one way and water doesn't come out the other way :)
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:37 am

Yep. If you drill a small hole, there will be a little leaking when the water gun is upside down and being filled. However, if the hole is very small (maybe the size of a pin head), the leak will be nothing compared to the dribble that always seems to come out of the cap, etc. anyway.

zuloon

Post by zuloon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:57 am

Specter wrote:It has a seal that lets air in one way and water doesn't come out the other way :)
Is there a way to make it?

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:13 am

If you're handy with plasticwork and epoxy and stuff, maybe you could try moving the cap yourself. Cut it out, patch the hole left, cut a new hole in the top of the reservoir, and glue the cap in there. You'll likely want epoxy putty for this.

Or you could just buy the new model, with the cap moved to prevent the noises.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:02 pm

You could scrap together your own valve. Tape a rubber sheet over the new hole, from the inside, with the tape not creating a perfect seal. When you flip the water gun over, the water should push on the sheet from the wrong direction and mostly stay inside. When you pump, air pushes in from the outside. But that's a lot of hassle and hard to construct inside the reservoirs, at least when you have to work through the mouth of the reservoir.

You could also open the water gun, cut a hole in part of the pipe, and epoxy in a small plastic check valve from McMaster-Carr. The Orca check valve was engineered to squeal; a regular check valve letting air into water probably won't make any sound.

used man

Post by used man » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:36 pm

cantab wrote:If you're handy with plasticwork and epoxy and stuff, maybe you could try moving the cap yourself. Cut it out, patch the hole left, cut a new hole in the top of the reservoir, and glue the cap in there. You'll likely want epoxy putty for this.
That is what i did with my xp 150, except i added an entirely new cap.
"dont mess with used man!"-sloganizer.net
thanks to dx for link to website

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:59 pm

But, if there's a hole on the cap, why doesn't the water leak?
To elaborate on what Specter said, the cap contains a small 1-way valve (know to many people as a check valve) that lets air in to replace the water leaving the reservoir. Without the valve, the leaving water would make a vacuum in the reservoir. Without a cap, water could just leak out. The 1-way valve lets air come in without letting water come out.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.