Arctic Blast modifications

Threads about water gun modifications.
Silence

Re: Arctic Blast modifications

Post by Silence » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:16 pm

I'm also curious, although it's not too big a deal. I'm mainly wondering whether the hesitation was due to technical difficulties or for other reasons. :cool:

Aqua_Flash

Post by Aqua_Flash » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:55 pm

After some more thought I didn't go through with it as the end result for my style wouldn't be worth it. Getting the parts for this for me wouldn't be too cheap and not a fully smooth process either for what the end result would be, I could spend that money and time on something elsewhere that I would be fully committed to doing (modding older CPS's like the 1000) as well as being able to do a fair job quite simply.

I was loosing interest in it because of this, I felt there was no point in spending time and money making something that at the end of the day wouldn't really make me consider it more than my light and medium CPS's, which I just prefer far much more for how I play. They give better power, the smaller CPS's like the 1000 are easier to modify and give a better result when only being lightly modded because of them being simple to the point with no gimmicks.

The user unfriendliness compared to the older soakers when opening and modifying the newer soakers (Flash Flood in this case) also annoyed me as well, I really hate it how the internals are screwed in to the casing, I preferred it when you could just easily take out internals on the older soakers, I've just gotten more used to that.

That most likely makes me look a bit lazy now, but I don't do things when my heart isn't in it, like it turned out to be here. I gave the new Hasbro stuff a try, and until they improve (could be a while) I'm leaving them alone.

Like I said, the modifications I'm sure will benefit the gun, it just needs somebody who likes the newer soakers and is more willing to do this than me. My focus is working on the older Larami soakers, and not the newer Hasbro soakers.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 am

Hey, those are valid complaints. Modifications really can only do so much. It's hard to juggle size, reliability, and strength when water guns are designed with much lower goals in mind.

I believe part of Ben's motivation for modding an Arctic Blast was that many readers of the site may only have access to 2007 and 2008 water guns. For them, modifications such as bladder case expansion are useful, so the article itself could prove useful. Admittedly there's not much other reason to get a modern water gun.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:29 am

I can see where you're coming from with that, but you already have the guns, so you might as well improve them. And you don't have to spend any money. I've heavily modded a Flash Flood before, if you remove the PC case (not even expand it, just chop the entire thing off, be sure to duct tape the sharp edges you leave behind though), colossus it (I did 5 layers, and a PRVD) and a nozzle mod (haven't gotten around to that yet), it will be so much better.
I haven't measured range yet, but it's definately 40'+.

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:46 am

I can see where you're both coming from. However, as Aqua_Flash said even after he mods it won't compare to his light CPS cannons. So what's the point of going to that effort if you're not going to bother using it?

SilentGuy is right, the modifications are really for new members who simply don't have access to older guns. If you already have better guns and don't want to use anything smaller, I don't see much point.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:32 am

There's few reasons to do any modification unless you're going to use the water gun, so it makes perfect sense to not modify. As SilentGuy and sbell have said, my reason for doing these modifications was to help people out, especially those who only have access to today's water guns. I don't intend to use my Arctic Blast.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 am

I've always thought that whether or not you modify a gun was just one choice of many--and a balancing act at best. To tell the truth, I've never modified any of my guns (I've repaired one), but then again I feel that I already have two great guns (CPS 1200 and 2100); if I needed a better one, I'll build it. But many people don't want to build a gun, so improving one of the newer guns is a better option for some because they don't have anything better yet want something better. But there are limits still: to quote Ben, "You can't turn a tricycle into a monster truck." Or something like that.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

mettaurlover

Post by mettaurlover » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:17 am

in response to post # 17, the flash flood is HELL to get apart, especially the gate trigger and the pump opening.

Ariz0na

Post by Ariz0na » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:36 am

Hey guys, I'm looking for an article regarding the arctic blast. Something about drilling the smaller nozzle. May I know where I can find it? Thanks :D
Armoury : CPS 2500, Arctic Blast & Max Infusion pack,
Super Soaker Quick Blast Twin Pack

i speak my mind My Garage Sale

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:22 pm

Ariz0na

Post by Ariz0na » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:06 am

Ahh Thank you so much Ben. I was looking for the article like mad :p
I should be getting my Arctic blast by this week. Can you believe in Toys R Us here in Malaysia, they don't sell the Arctic Blast? sheesh :p

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:04 pm

ToysRUs in the UK didn't sell them either. Only super soaker they sold was the Transformers gun. Then they had a lot of 'stats splash' guns, which looked like rebranded water warriors.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Ariz0na

Post by Ariz0na » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:59 am

I think the closest we got to the Monster series was the Green coloured one. I'm surprised I even got my CPS2500. hahaha. I practically lived in Toys R Us, very sure they didn't bring the Monster XL down.

Tigerstickfigure

Post by Tigerstickfigure » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:19 am

This is The Mantis!
I inherited a broken Arctic Blast last Summer, and decided to try to repair, then modify it. It ended up being so cool that I bought a new one ($20 including shipping from Barnes and Noble). I chopped it all apart and put it back together with a 2-liter juice bottle to protect the expansion chamber, which is probably the most important modification, because it allows the pressure chamber to holds more than 30 ounces, now, instead of 10 ounces stock! The key is girth, not length!! The entire resevoir is 42 ounces, so if I fill it up, fully pressurize, then refill the gun, it holds almost double the water of the original!
I also painted all the internals with 30-minute epoxy (had time to wipe off excess from moving parts), disabled the Pressure Valve, bored out the main nozzle slightly, reinforced the pump handle with Gorrilla Glue and a piece of a plastic coat hanger. I also coated the moving parts and the rubber pressure tube with silicone lubricant.
The other dramatic improvement, I call the Skunk Mod; I glued a PVC end-cap to the riot blast nozzle (with smaller holes bored through it). Just like a skunk, when cornered, it sprays everybody!! What's more, with the much improved quantity of pressurized water, the Skunk can be used several times on one pressurization, or in one, long deluge!!
And because intimidation is a factor in water wars, I painted the exterior of the gun with one color of lawn chair paint (Fusion), then made a camo stencil and used another color over the top. The first gun was just a trial, and I know now to use a solvent to wipe the painted surfaces clean, mask the moving parts, and use specialty plastic paint! The results speak for themselves- videos on YouTube will follow- just found a videographer!
PS- The bottle in this first picture is smaller than the final one, but you can see there how much more water it is already holding!
IMG_0372.jpg
IMG_0392.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0397.jpg

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:05 am

That looks great! Cant wait for video! Skunk riot blast idea is awesome! Im gonna use that idea on something.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!