The dangers of over pumping/over filling

Threads about water gun modifications.
joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:14 pm

w00t - I've help pioneer a new acronym.

Perhaps PRVD (Pressure Release Valve Disabling - I would say Removal, but Disabling covers gluing up PR soakers as well) would be better still - I remember posts that seem to believe actual freezing is needed.

If we are changing, why do anything but make it as clear as possible?

Of course we should mention the old acronym for the mod as well so we don't get posts saying: "OMG, what is a CVF and how do I do it?" only to say "It's the old name for PRVD"

At least with this - check valve can mean only one thing.

It'll take some getting used to, but as both SM and SSC are renovating, then we can try to clear this stuff up.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Lucius Octavion

Post by Lucius Octavion » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:42 pm

Ok, one other thing I don't get is step 3 in mad zook. It says to "plug" the nozzle before glueing the QF on the part where the check valve used to be. What does this mean?

And are you sure it's 1/4 inch? In the picture it looks way bigger than that. I'm confused...
Guns in possession:

Speed Loader Double Cross 3000, 2 Speed Loader One Thousands, SS XP 110, Splashzooka, used to have more but they were unfixable.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:52 pm

@ joannaardway: Nice...I'd support that change if we're changing everything else.

@ Lucius Octavion: Apparently they want you to use epoxy to close up the original nozzle. I had been assuming you would just add a ball valve and then be able to use either one, but I guess I was wrong.

PVC size measurements match the inner diameter (ID) of the tubing, not the outer diameter (OD). So it's going to be greater than 1/4" on the outside.

Lucius Octavion

Post by Lucius Octavion » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:31 pm

Do they mean to seal it? Then the water can't shoot out. Do they mean around the cracks then?
Guns in possession:

Speed Loader Double Cross 3000, 2 Speed Loader One Thousands, SS XP 110, Splashzooka, used to have more but they were unfixable.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:39 pm

Just seal the pipe onto the hole so that it can function as a nozzle. That's what they mean for you to do. I'd also suggest using a male adaptor to thread on different nozzle orifice sizes, but that's up to you. ;)

Lucius Octavion

Post by Lucius Octavion » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:44 pm

Do they have male adaptors that small? I have 3/8 inch pipe, that should be ok. The outer diameter is 1/2 inch and has no threading on it.
Guns in possession:

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:11 am

I'm currently holding an male end cap for 1/4" pipe.

It's for copper pipe, but it's certainly 1/4".
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Lucius Octavion

Post by Lucius Octavion » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:36 pm

Ok I need to know exactly 2 things.

What should the outer diameter of the pipe used for the nozzle be?

What should the inner diameter of the pipe used for the nozzle be?

Currently I have an outer diameter of 3/8 inch and that is too small.
Guns in possession:

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:13 pm

Use the largest ID that isn't larger than that of the actual tubing. The whole point is to reduce the restricted flow, so use something as large as possible--but if it's too large, then you'll have terrible performance. You can use a male adapter and threaded endcaps to change the size to a smaller one at any time.

Lucius Octavion

Post by Lucius Octavion » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:16 pm

How big should the outer diameter be in order to fit the trigger valve?
Guns in possession:

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:36 pm

I don't know, since I don't actually have a Splashzooka, but common sense should tell you--I really wouldn't know. I guess you could always just use a ball valve of the correct size...

Lucius Octavion

Post by Lucius Octavion » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:25 am

Is it possible to use the check valve you just cut off?
Guns in possession:

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:47 am

Well, it's not a true check valve. It's a pressure release valve, and only opens at a certain pressure. I would just buy a real check valve.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!