High Pressure Water Gun That Shoots Paint!

General water gun discussion.
SuperSoaker1000

High Pressure Water Gun That Shoots Paint!

Post by SuperSoaker1000 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Guys and Girls!

I am trying build a water gun that shoots diluted paint. I am relatively new to this and would really appreciate your input on how I can best do this. Here are the specs I'm looking for:

Projection of 20-30 feet
Two tanks holding one color of diluted paint each.
Tank liquid and air pressure lasting at least 3 minutes of constant spray

Thanks so much! I'm very excited about the project and can't wait to build this thing!

Edward

zeda.beta

Re: High Pressure Water Gun That Shoots Paint!

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:13 pm

What I'm envisioning is almost as if you built two guns, but grafted them together right before the nozzle area. Each should have a separate one way valve, and separate pumps joined together with wood or plastic or the like. I'll start on a drawing, but somebody else might have a better idea.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

SuperSoaker1000

Post by SuperSoaker1000 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:59 pm

That would be awesome! Thanks so much for your reply. I'm thinking of doing a backpack composed of the various tanks so you can hold all the weight on your back and then a shooter (barrel) that you hold and aim with......

I think two of everything is a good idea. To get the specs I listed, what components would you recommend? (size/type of air tank, psi, tubing, valve type...)

Thanks!

Edward

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:49 pm

The viscosity has an effect on range, but I'm not sure if its positive or negative. I'm thinking a more viscous liquid should be able to achieve further ranges due to better lamination, but am worried that flow may be constricted.

Do you want the storage (non-pressurized) paint/water stored in a backpack or onboard the gun? Do you want to mix before loading the gun, or have the gun do the mixing?

Air pressure may be your best bet. I'm not sure if paint is bad for latex rubber as it is used in CPS pressure chambers. There are numerous designs and possibilities, and assuming that the viscosity has a positive effect on range, you may be able to achieve 50-60 feet of range, up to 70ft with some (slightly impractical) designs. These ranges are when shot at 45 degrees. Most water guns can easily shoot past 20-30ft.

Overall, more specifics on what you need would be better. Budget may be another consideration to make. What will this paint gun be used for?

SuperSoaker1000

Thanks CA99!

Post by SuperSoaker1000 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:51 am

I'd like to have as much on the back as possible. I'll be mixing the paint before filling the tanks. I'd like for the paint to shoot through a tube on command. Either one color, the other color, or both colors at once. It's very important the paint shoots at least 15 feet, and that 1 gallon of each color (so 2 gallons total) last at least 3 minutes of continuous spray. I realize the spray will need to be pretty skinny to achieve this. Which I'm pretty sure just means I will have to have a pretty small nozzle. I'd like for it to shoot out a stream as thick as a pencil and as laser like as possible (as opposed to a mist). I'd like to not spend more than $200....

I've never built something quite like this before and I'm not sure a lot of the vocab and abbreviations mean... Are there graphic instructions on how to build some of the various models? Which of the models do you think would meet all the specifications?

Do any of you guys live in Chicago? I'd really like to have an actual conversation about all this stuff. I'm so excited about building this thing! Its going to be used for painting on large canvases and maybe for having paint wars. It's part of my thesis project.

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate it.
Attachments
SSPX2180.jpg

SuperSoaker1000

Post by SuperSoaker1000 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:34 am

That's a quick sketch I did just for the backpack part. I want two gallon size paint reservoirs to be pressured by a tank full of compressed air. Then valves opening and closing on demand that will shoot one of the paints or both paints at once out of a tube. It needs to hold enough air to shoot continuously for at least 3 minutes shooting the paint at least 15 feet. I want to start buying the materials I need to build it but I want to be sure I'm buying the right things. I want the valves to be operated electronically to open up the possibilities a bit. This thread is kind of a brainstorming of what is possible and how to best build this thing! Let me know what you think. I think my first step is to decide exactly which setup to use and then buying the air tank (not sure which model to get) and paint reservoirs (again not sure what to buy...) and piping, tubing and nozzle tips... Are there any other resources I could look into? Maybe plans for building similar devices?