The Small Question Thread

General water gun discussion.
Fredcompany

Re: The Small Question Thread

Post by Fredcompany » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:36 pm

With 2 PCs, you get extra power, but extra pumping too.
I'm a dude

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:21 pm

Extra power just makes pumping slightly more difficult. More pumping comes from the extra capacity, which *gasp* can be negated by making the PC's smaller.

Adding extra PC's has the same effect as increasing the surface area which increases performance considerably. Why doesn't anyone use 1/2" PVC tubes for PC's? Well aside from the fact that you'd end up with a really oddly shaped PC to get any decent capacity, it provides so little power that you could probably get more range by slashing water bottles at your targets.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:29 am

Thank you very much Fredcompany and C-A_99. I think I will spend extra money for another PC. I don't mind extra pumping. (Unless it's a LOT of extra pumping, like even more then a CPS 2000.)
Captain of the Catskill Mountain S.E.A.L.s (Soaker Elite Assault Legion.)

robotrage

Post by robotrage » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:35 pm

I might make my own, so how might I be able to start off? I have never made one before.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Well, robotrage, read the APH (air pressure homemade) guides in the homemades section (Click me). Start by reading all of the different guides provided so you know what you're doing.

After you know the parts needed and have a general understanding about how water guns work, you should be ready to go to the store and buy parts. This is the time to be creative, maybe change up the design, but always remeber to get pressure rated parts (if a piece of PVC says SC-40 it's pressure rated). And remeber, you also need to match up sizes and make sure pipe and fittings are compatible.

To build a water gun, generally you need PVC cement and priming to glue things together and "prime" pipe for the pressures present in your design(Click me).

Any more questions? Ask at our forum or read the FAQs and good luck. After your first homemade, you understand how things work and continue to build stronger and better designs. Feel free to post your work at our homemades section after you have built your new weapon.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

robotrage

Post by robotrage » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Cool! I'll take a look. I have plans to make a "rifle" type weapon, with a balloon launcher attachment (quite hard, considering that this is my first one. I'll figure it out...). :D

Edit: I really don't know how a pump works. Should I take apart another Super Soaker to look at it? I truly am a newbie at this, and have bunches of questions. May I ask them all?
Last edited by robotrage on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:44 pm

WBL attatchments have been considered, but get too llittle range to be effective. You can get better distance when just throwing a balloon.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:20 pm

robotrage wrote:Edit: I really don't know how a pump works.
The usual sort of pump is simply a piston inside a cylinder, hooked up to two one-way valves ("check valves"). Extend the pump and water is drawn in through the intake valve, compress it and water is pushed out the outlet valve. In homemades, the valves are external to the pump rod and cylinder, and are commonly available valves, being used in plumbing to stop backflow eg from a property into the municipal supply.

Indeed, a good performing WBL is a large and bulky device. You COULD combine a WBL and soaker, but it's going to be a heavy cannon type thing.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

robotrage

Post by robotrage » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:32 pm

cantab wrote:Extend the pump and water is drawn in through the intake valve, compress it and water is pushed out the outlet valve.
So... I am pressuring it by pulling on the pump, and water comes in one way, and when I push on the pump, it goes out another? And both of these valves are one way? If so, then I got the general idea.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:25 am

Yeah, you pull water in throught one valve, and then when you compress the pump, the water has to go through the second valve.
Quack damn you.

robotrage

Post by robotrage » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:47 pm

Alright. So, how do the PC's release the water when the trigger is pulled? Is it released when all of the compressed air finds a way out the barrel?

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:44 pm

The whole area between the pump outlet valve and the firing valve, which includes the pressure chambers, is under pressure owing to the compressed air in the pressure chambers. Open the firing valve and the pressure forces the water out of it.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:18 pm

The air tries to expand back to normal pressure, and in doing so, forces any water between the PC and the barrel to leave through the nearest opening.
Quack damn you.

robotrage

Post by robotrage » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Okay. I might start on it soon. I need the parts. Im going to lowes or something.

BobyKiller

Post by BobyKiller » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:02 pm

I was thinking of buying a water gun to start doing mods (So I want them to be easy). I was just wondering wich one is the best between the Super Soaker Max Infusion Flash Flood and the Arctic Shock Super Soaker?

Thanks to answer fast

Boby