2010s here?

General water gun discussion.
soakernerd

Re: 2010s here?

Post by soakernerd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:27 pm

I wasn't saying that Piston blasters are the best option, just that they're not as bad as many people see them.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:07 pm

I see that, because they are definately better than little pistols. Of course, they aren't great, but they aren't that bad. 25 feet of range actually beats a lot of soakers out there (but the one's it does probably are cheap remakes of good soakers, like the Dream which gets like 20 feet range or something). Not best, but not worst!
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:06 am

I am really looking forward to the Vanquisher, especially if it uses CPS technology. If not, at least I can still get a Vindicator. And to the piston water guns, if you can put a scope on top of the water gun, couldn't you just take a water bottle, attatch a tactical rail clamp to the bottom, and use it as a secondary resevoir? :D
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:21 pm

That's true zadebeta, but not as easy as you may think. Maybe you could clamp multiple bottles and use them to refill when needed, kinda like nerf storage (except you have water instead). This may work, though to make it have reservoir capabilities you'll need to figure out what to do with caps, refill areas, tubing, etc. However, it may work well if possible.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:49 pm

You could strip out the tactical rail on a Nerf accessory and attach it to a bottle, but it won't be stored securely and may fall off.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:25 pm

Well, also, the bottles are rounded so the stock won't really go on very well. Unless you use Fiji bottles, of course. Bottles filled also weigh some and will fall off without very much tilting if not attached sufficiently. Unfortunately, this does not look very practicle.

Here's something interesting. The Rattler looks and is shaped very similarly to the Firefly, and has the same shoulder stock. One thing I like about the upcoming line-up is the handle size. All the handles look larger than the average, especially the Rattler. That's a plus!
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:47 pm

Yeah the idea was a concept that could have used a little more thinking through. But maybe we can still use the backpacks with these guns, so as to get as much water as possible.

I think that an extra tank would be a useful thing to have, maybe if I can build a mount then it will be held in place. Oh, and about the bigger handles, now the more mature water enthusiasts can have still use the guns. :p

-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:50 pm

zeta.beta, you could attach a bottle with the tactical rail and than you add cable ties to secure it. Cut open one side on the end of the bottle, epoxy, glue, and do anything else needed to attach a ball/check valve. Take off the caps of each parts, the bottle and the soaker and then use 1/2" PVC parts until they fit well into each other. Glue. When done, should work. Tilt back to refill reservoir after filling using the ball/check valve and then fire. If you use a 2 liter bottle, you'll now have 3 liters of water (the Shot Blast itself holds 1.1 l, and you just added 2).
SPLASH! You're dead!

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:19 pm

I have to admit that I am going to buy a Shot Blast just because it looks majorly cool and therefore all my friends/opponents will pick it to use against me when I offer them a choice of weapons - and then I will destroy them. I'm always surprised at what people pick from my collection. Most people at college end up using one of my Arctic Blasts or something similar. I end up destroying them with the CPS 2000 or Monster XL that they didn't choose.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:52 pm

I get some of that too, where friends choose mediocre weaponry. It's a real problem when the person's on my team and the weaponry ends up getting unbalanced, but there's not much I could do about it when it happened before. I guess they probably don't want something too heavy.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:18 pm

They probably want to be light, and they don't care very much either, I don't think. I also think that they like the Flood/Blast nozzles because it "drenches" the oppenent. But obviously, the CPS 2000 has such an advantage over these smaller-lowerend blasters.

Some people are just like that. I've experienced it, too (some people on in the OVU take Secret Strikes and Bottle Shots only, or even ABs).
SPLASH! You're dead!

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:14 pm

The thing that Hasbro likes about the flood nozzles is that they can drench an opponent, and Hasbro can advertise that, but they don't have to worry about someone getting hurt. They also don't have to take their time making nice nozzles.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:37 pm

Ya, it's actually pretty smart by Hasbro, unfortunately not many of us enjoy it. I think the people benefitting from this are really just smaller kids and their parents.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:07 pm

I still agree that any high-range water blaster short of a SuperCannon II cannot hurt anyone anymore than a powerful XP. The thin stream can damage the eye and sting sensitive skin at very close range while a CPS 2000's blast can only hurt the face. By close range I mean within 3ft; you may even need a distance no greater than 1ft; air resistance will make it impossible to hurt anyone past those close ranges. That said, I can personally vouch for the fact that a Nerf Longshot, coupled with a good new dart, can easily hurt a kid's eye at the same ranges. I've been hit in the eye directly by one from roughly 10ft and it felt bad for about a minute.

Safety is not the concern. It's the public perception of it which was the most likely reason the CPS 2000 MK I was revised to the 2500. It could also be that Super Soaker had reliability concerns with the MK I bladder and wanted to revise the whole system but to cite actual safety as a reason is mistaken as the 2500 could hurt someone just as easily as the 2000, if not more with the smaller nozzles and high velocity streams. Perhaps the bladder was made less powerful to accomodate for those nozzles.

That said, a Nerf or water blaster is far more dangerous to melee someone with than it ever is to shoot anyway. Unless it's a modified Nerf blaster designed for ridiculous range.

The CPS 2000 myth spread misperception pretty far. If a kid is so small that the blast would knock out their eye (and that they would elicit no natural responses to avoid it; the blaster would have to be positioned very accurately to point towards the eye), the one shooting him would've been far too weak to pump it up. Even if the stream managed to hit his eye (from that close range), it should be a natural reaction to flinch and avoid the rest of the shot. Thus I highly doubt anyone's eye would be knocked out, though it'd still hurt like hell.

Basically, Nerf and high end water blasters are about as safe as each other and much of the concern comes from public perception, blaster design, and other factors unrelated to safety. The "do not aim at eyes or face" should be all they need to be immune to liability, though they'd still have to deal with idiot consumer complaints. Perhaps parents shouldn't give their kids toy guns with 35ft range when they're freaking babies?

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:58 pm

C-A_99 wrote:I still agree that any high-range water blaster short of a SuperCannon II cannot hurt anyone anymore than a powerful XP. The thin stream can damage the eye and sting sensitive skin at very close range while a CPS 2000's blast can only hurt the face. By close range I mean within 3ft; you may even need a distance no greater than 1ft; air resistance will make it impossible to hurt anyone past those close ranges. That said, I can personally vouch for the fact that a Nerf Longshot, coupled with a good new dart, can easily hurt a kid's eye at the same ranges. I've been hit in the eye directly by one from roughly 10ft and it felt bad for about a minute.

Safety is not the concern. It's the public perception of it which was the most likely reason the CPS 2000 MK I was revised to the 2500. It could also be that Super Soaker had reliability concerns with the MK I bladder and wanted to revise the whole system but to cite actual safety as a reason is mistaken as the 2500 could hurt someone just as easily as the 2000, if not more with the smaller nozzles and high velocity streams. Perhaps the bladder was made less powerful to accomodate for those nozzles.

The CPS 2000 myth spread misperception pretty far. If a kid is so small that the blast would knock out their eye (and that they would elicit no natural responses to avoid it; the blaster would have to be positioned very accurately to point towards the eye), the one shooting him would've been far too weak to pump it up. Even if the stream managed to hit his eye (from that close range), it should be a natural reaction to flinch and avoid the rest of the shot. Thus I highly doubt anyone's eye would be knocked out, though it'd still hurt like hell.

Basically, Nerf and high end water blasters are about as safe as each other and much of the concern comes from public perception, blaster design, and other factors unrelated to safety. The "do not aim at eyes or face" should be all they need to be immune to liability, though they'd still have to deal with idiot consumer complaints. Perhaps parents shouldn't give their kids toy guns with 35ft range when they're freaking babies?
Agreed. Why would parents of 5 year olds' buy them CPS 2000s anyway? The kid doesn't have any care, and also isn't responsible enough to not shoot someone in the face or eye (also, it's longer in length than them). That's why I think the myth, not saying it's true, happened. Perhaps it did happen, a five year old shot another 5 year old (highly unlikely, but possible) or even an older kid (9 or 10 years) shot their little brother or a smaller kid in the face.

I always laugh when I see the "do not aim at eyes or face" on stinky blasters and nerf "toys." It's funny! :cool:

EDIT: 300th post! Explosions!!! :-)
Last edited by JuchTurtles on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPLASH! You're dead!