2010s here?

General water gun discussion.
JuchTurtles

Re: 2010s here?

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:08 pm

Interesting. I've been reading but not posting. Some of these look very neat, but they all are based off nerf-designs. But sadly, they're overpriced and underpowered.

Some of these I'm definately getting. But I hope WW have some more powerful (and cheap) models to check out.

I think some of the reasons these are expensive (for range and size especially) are because they're designing is:
1: Overdone
2: Not simplistic
3: Too complicated

Look at the Hydroblitz. Hello? It has tons of check valves and triggers, and when so many valves are used, it gets expensive and hard-to operate.

Im anxious to see what WW is coming out with.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 pm

None of the new soakers look complicated at all (they're freaking piston guns); they just added a rail and stock but those parts probably don't cost as much as the unecessities in the HydroBlitz. The Nerf Recon was $20 for it's size and extras like the magazine, removable (fake) barrel, and the "tactical light". The only removable on the Shot Blast would be the stock and it doesn't include have any of those extra parts attached to the rail.

Edit: It just hit me; perhaps they described them as air pressure because they do have a small air chamber for continuous streams. Previous recent piston blasters also had small PC's and some (like the Quick Blast) have a self-activating trigger that opens when the PC fills up. Self-activating triggers are often cheaper than manually operated ones depending on the situation.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:53 pm

I was in a Nerf IRC channel when someone posted this: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/428 ... da65_o.jpg

Looks like Water Warriors has at least one nice new gun!
Last edited by SSCBen on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:25 pm

If that's a CPS chamber up front, then it's probably got some serious power.
But I'm not convinced by the ergonomics. It looks like yet another blaster that can't be held one-handed. Of course one can't know without actually holding them.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:54 pm

The entire line up looks like a gimmick for team based merchandise. And half of them look like remakes of last year's guns!
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:12 am

Interesting find, Ben. I would conjecture spherical CPS, or they would've used the label "Hydro Power" instead of "Pressurized Performance System", which was the same label used on the Vindicator. There should also be enough room between the PC case and the nozzle for a spherical bladder.

The nozzles are alarming though. There's only 2 small ones and the notoriously useless fan "blast". Those would be indicators of the HydroPower system since there was never one that could perform decently on larger (above 3x) nozzles. Perhaps this is one of their medium end blasters? Or perhaps it is indeed powerful enough but just needs a nozzle drill. I wonder how good the handling on it is...

Looks like the NIC is keeping very good tabs on soaker releases. It seems that they're finding many of the new soakers to be more useful than we are with the conversions.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:17 pm

Cool find, Ben! ...but on a Nerf forum? How ironic.

At any rate, the Vanquisher looks interesting; hopefully the nozzles are a little larger than those in that packaging shot. As for missing the term "Hydro Power", from my understanding, BBT is phasing out that phrase and sticking to "Pressurized Performance System" for both rubber bladder and air pressure water blasters. Only the "Pulse" line's spring-based system was differentiated last year.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Just noticed this: on the box, it says "pressurized hydro-power", so it may be their usual diaphragm design.

On another note, has Hasbro been fitting ALL of it's blasters with Max-D triggers, or just the new ones. I am actually quite fond of XP-215's, and will buy their 2 pack if the trigger won't break.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:59 pm

I very much doubt the 215 has been given a Max-D trigger. There'd be no room for it, for one. They tend to keep the old designs the same, except for the open remakes (like the SS50 20th anniv).

For the vanquishers nozzles - note the picture is smaller than the real size or the selector. So the nozzle's aren't quite as tiny as in the picture. They're still not huge though. My guess is it's simply a small valve and tubing limiting it.
Also it has a strap - somehow I didn't notice that before. That helps ergonomics.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:45 pm

Dude, that looks kinda looks like a remodled Renegade with a CPS chamber. It looks decent, or at least better than what Hasbro has to offer. Its size, capacity, and power are all better, and it looks kinda like a CPS 1200 in layout.

Cool find, Ben. I can't wait to get one of these things! I wonder if they'll have a Vindicator either remodled or re-done. Cool!
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:01 pm

Do we have an arrival date for the Vanquisher? That thing looks seriously cool. :)
Can we get a scale of that thing (As big as the HydroBlitz, as small as the Equalizer, etc.).
If that is BBT's update to the Performance line, I can't wait for the Pulse series. :)
Having the handle in the middle may be cramped, but it should be much more balanced than the Vindicator.

At least the fact that Hasbro has changed its Super Soakers means that BBT's competition has had some effect on them. :cool: I must say though, their soakers are worse than the Arctic Shock; at least that had a PC.
If they must make "realistic" looking guns, couldn't they just make the gun clear, and paint the design on (with external molding, so there would be texture)???

Since BBT is now making more traditional, spherical CPS systems (Vindicator, Vanquisher) does that mean that Hasbro's patent has expired? :D :D :)
Last edited by soakernerd on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:05 pm

That looks like the medium performance-pressurized system gun. It might be the largest, because it holds 108 oz. of water, the same as the Vindicator. Or maybe they'll make something like a MXL (doubtful).

The Vanquisher, after further looks, looks fantastic. I think that's a rubber bladder up front becuase it's hydro powered (the air pressured say air pressured on the box). The hydro power is a different type of rubber I think, and it's a little bit less constant than CPS. Still general principle, though.

The K-modding is back (not definate)!
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:51 pm

I'd guess that Hasbro still has the patent, but whatever it is has eliminated any concerns of getting sued. The CPS patents were very limited and did not, nor could not apply to the idea of using a rubber bladder in general. From what I remember, they specifically refered only to cylindrical bladders designed to expand starting from the end closer to the nozzle. (like the FF's bladder, which has a small bulb on the nozzle end when not pumped up)

I really hope BBT isn't using the diaphragms. They are bad designs to go by and air pressure, given enough PC volume and design that allows good flow, performs significantly better.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:11 am

C-A_99 wrote:I really hope BBT isn't using the diaphragms. They are bad designs to go by and air pressure, given enough PC volume and design that allows good flow, performs significantly better.
Can you specify? I don't really understand what you mean.

WW uses a combination of air pressure and "hydropower" for their pressurized performance system. Then they have the awesome "pulse" series.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:39 pm

The design using a flat sheet of rubber against a rigid plastic plate. Used in the early 'Hydro Power' guns like the Blazer and Tigershark. Results in distinctive hemispherical PCs.
Arsenal: