My Homemade Backpack Soaker

Homemade water gun threads that are notable.
BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:53 am

where can you buy CPS tubing?
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:54 am

I'm not exactly sure, check http://www.mcmaster.com
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:57 am

What will it be called? I doubt it will be called CPS tubing
BlueSoak.net

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:03 am

heh, no, it's some form of rubber tubing, I'm assuming latex, I just don't know what size people are using...

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:10 am

It's called latex tubing. You buy the stuff called "Latex Rubber Tubing" in that page. I bought black, the amber stuff I think someone said might be different. The power depends on how thick it is, the thickness is labled on the page, you can buy some to collosus it with also. Despite what it says you can buy it in smaller lengths, I only bought 2 feet. It actually goes a long way, expands to about 3 times it's length, so that really is like 6 feet of tubing there. I was thinking about maybe buying some of the "High-Pressure Buna-N Rubber Tubing" stuff, but it might make a gun that is too hard to pump.

Btw, would you mind if I make a homemade based on yours, much of what you've done has been done before (check nerfhaven.com), I would like to make some improvements on your design, it needs to be smaller, and a few other modifications. The trigger I completely forgot about, it makes the homemades easier to make for some reason, I really want to put the "beginner" CPS homemade on SSC.

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:35 am

sounds like one for me :D

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:44 am

what length, width, PSI did you buy?
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:46 am

As I said before, the PSI is completely controled by how thick it is. I bought 3/8" ID tubing with a 3/8" Wall, and some other tubing to collosus it with. According to the site that tubing alone creates 35 PSI, combined with another piece that should be 70 right? I don't know about the accuracy of that statement, but it should be true from what I know.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:22 pm

If only I had some CPS tubing... :(

EDIT: ...can't find Latex Rubber Tubing here yet... <_<
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Xray

Post by Xray » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:26 pm

Just get a pressure guage and you can verify that... notice the one mounted on my gun, its not needed at all with my CPS design, but once I get a pressurized backpack it will indicate how much water I have left (and the pressure of the tank, obviously). If the pressure is low - it means ive used most of the water, and vise-versa.

BTW Doomsoaker, I don't care if you re-make my soaker, im actually making my own soaker site right now (not really big, just for my projects) and ill give a link as soon as im done.

I Don't see why the CPS tubing would be better than an inner tube, all it does is make it require less layers. Bike innertubing is free too... I get my local bike stores' tubes instead of them throwing them in the garbage.

-blake

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:33 pm

Originally posted by Xray@Apr 27 2004, 04:26 PM
I Don't see why the CPS tubing would be better than an inner tube, all it does is make it require less layers.
I tried layers of bike inners, but it didn't work well. 1) Not enough power, 2) they burst. <_<

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:24 pm

I feel more and more like a inexperienced user in this forum every day. I think it's probably because I have way too much homework to do any mods or homemades.

Xray

Post by Xray » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:00 pm

Originally posted by spinner@Apr 27 2004, 10:33 AM
I tried layers of bike inners, but it didn't work well. 1) Not enough power, 2) they burst. <_<
1) How many layers did you use?

2) Mine don't burst.

-blake

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:06 pm

I bet the bike tubes work about as well as the CPS tubing if you get the right kind, layer (collosus) it enough and get the tubing clamps on. I personally use both, the CPS tubing seals much better than bike tubes, but the bike tubes give you more control on how much power you want, so I put the CPS tubing first and then use the bike tubes.

I'm not remaking your soaker, I am basing my design remotely off yours. The only real part I am using that is in yours is the trigger, you gave me a reminder that garden things make good simple triggers. ;) Everything else is different, I'm using a homemade pump, different PC, ect.

How did you get the gauge in that spot, did you drill it and then epoxy it in? I have a guage that goes up to 90 psi, I was going to use it on an air pressure gun, but I want higher PSI on it so I guess it would work here.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:22 pm

Originally posted by Xray+Apr 27 2004, 10:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xray @ Apr 27 2004, 10:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-spinner@Apr 27 2004, 10:33 AM
1) How many layers did you use?

2) Mine don't burst.

-blake [/b][/quote]
I used several. I couldn't get any more on, in fact, it was next to impossible to slip them on. Has anybody got any good ideas on how to slip bike tubes over one another easily?

The thing I made (SC...kinda...only...at least for the start) had very long shot time, just not enough power and range. It improved markedly with more layers, but then I went too far and they burst. :angry: I used a garden hose trigger for the...er...trigger. <_<