New and first APH

Homemade water gun threads that are notable.
Tyler

Re: New and first APH

Post by Tyler » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:34 pm

Silence wrote:iSoaker's review pegs the Splashzooka's range at 36 feet. That's about the same as some of the better soakers on the market.
Yes I have read that but was wondering if there was any other accounts, since on isoaker's review of the cps 1000 it said 39ft when it was actually farther when I tested one myself. I know some are 'Effective Range" some are 'Last Drop" as well.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:39 pm

The review on this site didn't have a range measurement.

I've found that iSoaker's numbers can be a little on the lower end, but as I said, this range is a little above average and probably comparable to water guns that you can buy from stores today.

Maybe 40 feet would be closer...but this is all speculation, so if in doubt, go with an empirical measurement like iSoaker's.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:48 pm

Here is a picture, hope this works!
Last edited by Silence on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed the image display

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Nice structuring, I haven't really gotten a pump to PC bracing to work on my CPH yet. Only thing I can suggest however, is to space the firing valve away from the PC's, a but more forward, so that your hand has more room to operate it. A torque arm as seen on the Supercannon II wouldn't be a bad idea either.

iSoaker's ranges seem to show that ranges differ considerably with different manufacturing of the same gun. My 1200 has roughly the same range as my 1000, while iSc's 1200 has less range than modern blasters. Or perhaps I'm taking stream concentration into consideration more than actual range, since that also determines effective soaking range.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:17 pm

Wow, looks like a clean build. The brace for the pump and the paintjob help too. The fittings are close together, which makes the water gun more compact but harder to salvage should you want to switch one fitting for another. Then again, with painted PVC, I don't know if it would even be possible to rebuild it.

Anyway, it's much nicer than anything I've ever built.

Do you have any pictures of the backpack with your APH?

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:13 pm

Picture with backpack and the final pump I made that works.
Sorry if these aren't in the right format, I have enough trouble getting this far. LOL.

Actually, I have plenty of room for my hand at the ball valve.
Also, since this is finished I will update people on the cost to build one of these. Compared to the $58 a few years ago it now cost about $75. Ouch! I already had all the tape, paint, strap, backpack, ect....
Last edited by Silence on Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:53 pm

C-A_99 wrote:iSoaker's ranges seem to show that ranges differ considerably with different manufacturing of the same gun. My 1200 has roughly the same range as my 1000, while iSc's 1200 has less range than modern blasters. Or perhaps I'm taking stream concentration into consideration more than actual range, since that also determines effective soaking range.
Yeah. Someone today mentioned that my 1200 was in good condition, whereas my 2100 was short on range. This was useful info when it came to determining which to risk breaking by filling from the river.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:22 am

Tyler, if you're having trouble with the pictures, click on "Go Advanced" here and there should be a button to help you insert a picture. Or go to the Photobucket page for the picture and copy the text from the "IMG Thumb" field in the bottom left of the page. I've fixed these links for you, though. :cool:

Just curious, what type of tape (if any) did you use to hold the pump's O-ring in place? Is it masking tape?