Hawk's APH

Homemade water gun threads that are notable.
Hawk

Re: My latest creation

Post by Hawk » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:53 am

There was an error with the pics, here they are now.

I also forgot to mention there is a problem with the gap between the reservoir and the check valve leading to the PC/barrel. The gap is about a 1/2" too large, so the PVC leading to the reservoir needs to be a 1/2" longer than the handle piece, or about 5.5". The reservoir needs to be secured to the elbow by electrical tape or long zip ties, as it will wiggle otherwise. I still haven't determined whether I need a dowel support between the pump and barrel assembly.
Attachments
APH-C Comparison - 3.JPG
APH-C Comparison - 1.JPG
Last edited by Hawk on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:03 am

I've just finished bench testing my APH-C, and these are the results I got:

PC: a little under 1 pint
Res: a little under 2 quarts
5/32" nozzle: about 2x, 7sec shot time, 40ft range
1/4" nozzle: about 5x, 3.5sec shot time, 40ft range
16 pumps for initial charge, 10 pumps to recharge after firing

Definitely a SS200-class Heavy Rifle as I had originally expected. Compare to XP-250, CPS-1000, CPS-1200, and CPS-2100. My next project is creating a 3qt on-board resevoir that is an accessory for the APH-1 to create a CPS2000-class Light Cannon soaker.

Changes I would make to the design would be to increase the 3" PVC resevoir from 9" to 10", and decrease the 6" rear handle to 5.5", and increase the pump from 8" of 1/2" PVC to 9". Otherwise the parts are 1/2" threaded cap, 1/2" threaded male, 1/2" ball valve, 2x 1/2" check valves, 2x 1/2" elbows, 2x 1/2" tees, 1/2" cap, 7x 1/2" PVC 2" long, 5" long 1/2" PVC, 2x 1/2"x1.5" reducers, 2"x1.5" reducer, 5" of 2" PVC, 2" cap, 3" cap, and a 3"x1.5" swivel drum. With the washer, O-ring and 13" of 1/2" dowel.

Another thing I have given thought to is renaming my APHs. To reconize their class, I was thinking of renaming the APH-C to an APH-200. I could also rename the APH-1 and APH-2 to APH-2000/3000 and APH-300 respectively. But I have also considered just calling them an APH-300 and APH-400 respectively to keep it more standard.
Last edited by Hawk on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:57 am

I took some pics of the parts for my add-on reservoir for an APH. The parts pictured include a 1/2" male connector, 1/2" elbow, 1/2"-1.5" reducer, 3"x1.5" drum trap, and 3" cap. I've including a couple of pics of the drum trap with its plug. The design also uses a 2" piece of 1/2" PVC and a 5.5" piece of 1/2" PVC. I do not have the 3" cut yet for the pics, but a 10" piece will create a 2qt reservoir and a 16" piece should create a 3qt reservoir. For the CPS-2000 class soaker I'm creating with the single PC APH, I'm making a 3qt reservoir. I included a picture of the test-fit assembly (w/o 3" PVC) attached to the APH. Be careful to screw the male connector in first (after removing the hose attachment) and then fit the parts and mark them with a marker for alignment before cementing them together. The reservoir will be removable to switch to a 2 gallon backpack when desired, but this will not be something that can done in the field. It will require a wrench, zip tie, and wire cutters for assembly and disassembly.
Attachments
Onboard Resevoir - 6.JPG
Onboard Resevoir - 5.JPG
Onboard Resevoir - 4.JPG
Onboard Resevoir - 2.JPG

Silence

Re: Hawk's APH

Post by Silence » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:53 pm

That looks like a really clean reservoir, and nice find with the drum trap, since it acts as a cap, a reducer, and an elbow all at once. I'd make the reservoir permanent and bind it to the rest of the gun for more rigidity, with another port for the backpack...but then it might be too bulky.

By the way, I've split your posts off from the original thread - your APHs deserve their own thread. Sorry for the crap title...you'll probably want to change it. :cool:

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:09 pm

Thanks, I logged on was wondering where all my posts went. I was just trying to keep all the APH info together, although my 200 series soaker is a new design but built on the same layout.

I'm building it as an add-on since I already have a single res APH assembled. If you are building one from the beginning, then you could build it with an option for a backpack reservoir. I would change out the male & female connectors for a single long piece of 1/2" PVC, then replace the elbow with a tee, add 2" of 1/2" PVC to that and put the female on the back. Then have the bard that you attach while using it with a backpack, and put a male cap on it while you are using the onboard reservoir. I might try that on a next build.

Silence wrote:That looks like a really clean reservoir, and nice find with the drum trap, since it acts as a cap, a reducer, and an elbow all at once. I'd make the reservoir permanent and bind it to the rest of the gun for more rigidity, with another port for the backpack...but then it might be too bulky.

By the way, I've split your posts off from the original thread - your APHs deserve their own thread. Sorry for the crap title...you'll probably want to change it. :cool:

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Mon May 04, 2009 4:33 am

I hadn't added any information on my APH projects in awhile. I did complete my add-on reservoir for my original APH-1. It holds 3qts of water, but I don't remember what length I cut the 3" pipe too. I'll have to measure it again.

With my 3 designs complete, I decided on how to equip battlefield fire teams using these as replacements to my current arsenal (excuse the light infantry lingo from my officer training):

rifleman - using APH-C with 2x or 5x nozzle
grenadier - using APH-1 with on-board reservoir and 5x or 20x nozzle
automatic rifleman - using APH-1 with 2.5gal backpack reservoir and 2x or 5x nozzle
team leader - using same as rifleman

squad leader (commands 2 fire teams) - same as rifleman
med machine gunner - uses APH-2 with 2.5gal backpack res and 5x or 20x nozzle
assistant machine gunner - same as rifleman, carries extra 2.5gal reservoir for gunner

I feel I have come up with a pattern of soaker sizes that make sense in combat. With the assault rifle with a pint PC, grenade launcher/SAW with a quart PC, and a medium MG with a 2qt PC. The next logical step up would be a crew-served soaker that increases to the next step of 4qt PC with 5 or 10 gallons of reservoir. A heavy canon that is part of a fixed position or mounted on a vehicle for mobility. I'm not sure of the basic design yet, although a cheaper route would be to increase the dual PC sizes from 5" to 10" to achieve the 4qt volume. I was also considering reversing the pump so it pumps backward to make it easier for the gunner. But before I start that project, I'm going to be continuing to build more of my current designs to equip at least a squad.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 04, 2009 5:03 am

You might find that diversifying doesn't really offer many advantages. The checks and balances of infantry, cavalry, etc. don't translate very well to water wars...a strong person equipped with a CPS 1500 can run fast, fire far, and carry enough water to beat nearly any opponent. IMO. :cool:

Of course, there's nothing wrong with having different water guns. I'd probably want a smaller one than the next person, and it would get boring if everyone used the same blaster.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon May 04, 2009 10:03 am

Capture The Flag promotes lighter weapons. In yesterday's match I started out using a Aquashock Secret Strike + backpack, which was around the heaviest in use (we weren''t playing with big CPSes because the weather wasn't warm enough). After a few battles though I switched tactics, took my Sting Ray, and managed to succeed in a flag capture due to their defender being inaccurate, and then I had the speed to outpace the enemy teammembers who chased me (I'm one of the faster people, which helps)

Unfortunately in a later match it failed. I had done a similar thing (though actually got passed the flag from an ally - he was better armed and I'm the better runner). However, seconds before reaching my base, a member of the third team shot our defender and stole our own flag! (We were playing 3way. Any two flags in your base or all opposition eliminated wins it.)
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier: