Granta - my copper APH (design phase currently)

Homemade water gun threads that are notable.
SSCBen

Re: Granta - my copper APH (design phase currently)

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:42 pm

Hmm.. I've never heard of non-return valves but alternate names are good to add to the guide. I'll get on that.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:38 pm

Latest possible change to my design: I'm considering using a product called "Just For Copper". It's basically a glue specifically for pipework. It's quite expensive, but the cost can be saved back by the use of the very cheap, and also light, end-feed solder fittings. It's pressure rated to 500 psi.

http://www.solderlesscopperbonding.com/pg/index.html
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

devvo

Post by devvo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:22 pm

why dont you want to solder your fittings, soldering capillary fittings is very easy, just get the ones with solder inside the fitting, there just heat and go and cost 30p a fitting

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:34 pm

Hmmm...I'm not really sure. I think it's in part because I know the people I'm staying with now won't like me using a blowtorch. In any case though, I might postpone the build until I go back to uni, that way I don't have to transport the gun; since I'm going by train, luggage space is at a premium.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:33 am

Yeah, you should probably go with soldered fittings. I've actually been considering making my own copper gun with soldered fittings for the sake of enlightenment. My father has a torch and he knows how to solder copper pipe so it shouldn't be too difficult. Sadly I don't have infinite time or money. :p

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:29 pm

Just For Copper sounds like JB Weld, but just for copper. Anyway, if it's easy to use, go for it!

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:49 pm

Latest on this is I'm going to postpone it until I return to uni and get my student loan.

Also, does anyone know a cheap source of check valves in the UK? It seems like they're going to be the most expensive parts (well, them and the nozzle valve), so if I can save money there that would be great.

Also, is it possible to make a quick filling gun without using a check valve. I'm thinking basically connect a hose to the nozzle, open the nozzle valve, close when pressurised, remove the hose, sorted. If that will work, I'll probably use my leftover pipe and fittings from Granta for such a design, named 'Nene'.
In fact, I might try and rig it up so that Granta and Nene can be connected nozzle-to-nozzle, then pumping Granta pressurises both, then they are seperated into two guns again. That way I only have to build one pump.

Aside: more confusion on valve nomenclature - the term 'ball valve' in the UK most commonly refers to the automatic valves used in toilet cisterns, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballcock
Arsenal:

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:38 pm

cantab wrote:Also, is it possible to make a quick filling gun without using a check valve. I'm thinking basically connect a hose to the nozzle, open the nozzle valve, close when pressurised, remove the hose, sorted. If that will work, I'll probably use my leftover pipe and fittings from Granta for such a design, named 'Nene'.
In fact, I might try and rig it up so that Granta and Nene can be connected nozzle-to-nozzle, then pumping Granta pressurises both, then they are seperated into two guns again. That way I only have to build one pump.
You could always make a detachable put and make it fit onto both guns. If you make your pump and attach it with some quick-disconnect fittings (male on pump and female on gun; get the kinds with the stop in them so the water won't flow out when you disconnect the pump) and just make a "pump space" to fit the pump into, then you can pump both up without having to do that "nozzle to nozzle" thing. (you could also use the QD for filling from a hose)[... but then again, I think you're going after filling both guns up at the same time.] Just a thought.

As for your hose to nozzle idea, I guess that would work, but since there would still be pressure in the hose, you'd get soaked. I used to do that when my pump broke, and I had to figure out a way to disconnect the hose while not getting wet. If you were going to do that, I recommend you get a female QD with stop (to keep the water from spraying out) on the hose and put a male one the gun after the ball valve. Connect to fill, close ball valve, disconnect, and fire! If you get the right size, you might be able to use the male QD as a nozzle, too.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:15 pm

I've found a much cheaper supplier for most fittings, especially check and ball valves

http://www.screwfix.com

(despite the .com address it is a UK company)

so that should save me a fair bit. They only sell pipe in big packs though, so the pipe I'll get elsewhere.

I've also found there that unequal tees are very expensive. It'll probably be cheaper to use an equal tee with a reducer, though making the gun slightly longer.
Arsenal:

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:22 am

If you have the right parts, a homemade valve might work. You need the right fitting, an olive, a ball (like a large BB/slingshot ammo, a marble, or a hard rubber ball), and a spring. That does get a little complicated though.

Ben's 2 liter homemade water gun uses a ball valve instead of a check valve.

devvo

Post by devvo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:50 pm

http://www.plumbcalldirect.co.uk have cheaper fittings than screwfix also http://www.plumbworld.co.uk, just dont get any brassware from plumbworld though, there notorious for sending out conex branded rubbish.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Silence wrote:a ball valve instead of a check valve.
Ball valves are even more expensive than check valves...
devvo wrote:conex branded rubbish
Would you say conex should be avoided then?
Arsenal:

devvo

Post by devvo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:24 am

avoid conex if you can, there compression fittings always seem to nip the pipe so it kinks slightly at the nut which also leaves it open to bending, not a major problem when chucking it in a house as it wont be moving but a water gun thats being thrown around.... you get the picture.

get crane or yorkshire if you get a choice, that 20p more could save you having to rebuild whole parts of the watergun.