Sabot's for 2" & 3"

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
adronl

Sabot's for 2" & 3"

Post by adronl » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:22 pm

I am looking for as many options as I can for 3" and 2" sabots please post as many idea's and options as you can. I am having a bit of trouble getting the launches right.

SSCBen

Re: Sabot's for 2" & 3"

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:45 pm

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:48 pm

Disposable cups maybe? They usually taper, so you can cut them to fit your barrel nicely.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:09 pm

I had really great luck with the sabots in the section for homemades, but instead of a tennis ball can I used a couple of disposable plastic cups with one styrofoam inside for padding. Otherwise you could always use a grocery bag.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:14 pm

Pringles/tennis ball cans, when used alone as the sabot, are not very good at sealing and tend to have high friction. They used to be common before trimming the tapered cup, which is now the most common method. See below, tennis ball cans, pringles cans, and the grocery bag are only used for padding, to reduce the chances of the balloon getting popped before exiting the barrel.

Currently, the best, most easy to mass produce sabots right now are tapered cups trimmed down. Simply take any cup that fits into the barrel, put it in straight (and somewhat tight), draw a line around the cup using the barrel to keep it steady, and cut along it. Numerous cups work for 3" barrels; plastic party cups are the best, but cups used by restaurants' soft drinks also work. The only issue is that they have a gap due to the paper wrapping around.

I haven't been able to find many cups suitable for 2" barrels other than styrofoam ones. There are a few others but seem to be harder to find.

http://www.sscentral.org/homemade/shells.html

These sabots are the same as above, with an added holder to slow the sabot down so it doesn't go as far, and to prevent the balloons from popping. This addition is optional.

adronl

Post by adronl » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:44 am

Pudding cups like snack pack pudding cups either that or I'm going to walmart to look at their cheap plastic cups . The links Ben posted will help me find a permanent sabot though

Specter

Post by Specter » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:56 pm

i use a disposable plasic drink cup in my 2" barrel. cut to size when shoved into the end of the barrel,
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october