What is the best way to build the Douchenator?

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
kborissov

What is the best way to build the Douchenator?

Post by kborissov » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:17 am

I was wondering what is the best way to build the Douchenator. For example design optimizations that make it powerful or easier to use. And what is the best lenght for the pressure chamber and the barrel.
Thanks.

aEx155

Re: What is the best way to build the Douchenator?

Post by aEx155 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:58 am

The Douchenator is already good enough to be as popular as it is; no additional things need to be done to it.

Besides, any higher performance or efficiency would probably just end up bursting the balloon. Examples of that might be faster valves, or higher pressure. Good enhancements are things like better sabots and making it easier to refill.

The best way to figure out optimal barrel/chamber dimensions would be through experimentation, as (from what I know) no one has a chart of exactly what does what.

...and next time, try and do at least a little research instead of asking questions like this. A lot of other people have done experiments to find out the things you would be looking for, so you just have to look for them. It's better to ask "Will [insert here] this work if I try this?" than "I need something to try...can someone tell me?"

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:17 pm

Try to keep the air chamber to barrel ratio close to 1:2. It'll get nearly as much performance as 1:1, but with much less pumping.

The Gas Gun Design Tool offers precise calculations, but you would need to measure the friction between the barrel and the sabot, etc.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:04 pm

First off, I'd strongly recommend an over-under WBL design. Carrying a 7ft long hunk of PVC around is not fun. Also, go with a 1ft PC. Other possibilities include a pull valve or modified sprinkler valve, as well as the breech mentioned above.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:06 pm

Said friction shouldn't be too hard to measure, but you would need a suitable force meter, though you might be able to use weighing scales (a spring or electronic type, not a balance). If you're at school or college ask the science department, they'll almost certainly have them and hopefully be able to lend one.

Specter

Post by Specter » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:31 pm

C-A_99 wrote:First off, I'd strongly recommend an over-under WBL design. Carrying a 7ft long hunk of PVC around is not fun. Also, go with a 1ft PC. Other possibilities include a pull valve or modified sprinkler valve, as well as the breech mentioned above.
I don't recommend 1ft PC. That's what I made for my WBL and it gets horrible performance with the water balloon barrel.
I do agree with the over-under design though. Even though I made my WBL so the barrel comes off/is changeable (i used threaded ball valve and have male adapters for the barrels) it is cumbersome when moving it around, reloading it etc.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:06 pm

The 1ft PC is most likely not good with ball valves, but it speeds up pressurization and I figured it would work well will pull or sprinkler valves. On the other hand, I haven't tried 1ft PC's nor better valves before on WBL's.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:47 pm

The basic Douchenator design doesn't deviate far from other water balloon launcher designs and still has all the problems of them.

Anything to improve the rate of fire would be best in my opinion. Smaller pressure chambers are quicker to pump up. Adding systems to recharge the air tank after shots would be good. An HPA tank probably would work great, but be very expensive.

You'd also need some way to quick load the water balloons. While I'm not too familiar with WBLs I haven't seen any tangible improvements in this area aside from simple breech systems.