Killer WBL

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
Killer 7

Killer WBL

Post by Killer 7 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:30 am

Sorry I haven't been very active on the forums lately, school has been evil. I built this WBL 3 months ago, and have been waiting for an opportunity to post about it. It has a Sprinkler valve for the trigger. My dad runs a cabinet shop and he helped me make the box that houses most of the electrical components. The barrel support was the most difficult piece on this gun to make. I attacked it with a file for 2 hours or more until it was finally loose enough to let the barrel to slide through it easily. The barrel is 2" pvc pipe, and 3.5' long. The pressure chamber is 2.5' long with a pressure gauge on the end and a very convenient handle in the middle. I used styrofoam cups for wadding, and found that if you drizzle a few ounces of water down the barrel to lubricate it before firing it usually increases range by a significant amount. I shot trap for a few years so I have little trouble holding it like a regular gun. I don't think that my parents will ever let me use it in a war so it is not battle tested. Also for safety reasons I do not put more than 60psi. in it. At 60psi. I can almost shoot all the way across the local high schools football field. I also included a safety which is th larger red switch toward the rear. The little red button is the trigger. As a side note I also have a 1 1/2" barrel that fits on the gun it is 5' long and has only been used twice. It was amazing to see it shoot with the smaller diameter barrel. I never found where the balloon landed
Attachments
WBL3.jpg
WBL2.jpg
WBL1.jpg

Silence

Re: Killer WBL

Post by Silence » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:10 pm

That's a very cleanly-built water gun. Good job, and thanks for the pictures! :)

Next time you want to make a barrel support like that, you could try "pipe saddles" instead of actual tees. Saddles are basically pieces that fit around the tube, so there's no inner rim to file away. The entire pipe slides right through.

Is your water balloon launcher a muzzle-loader? I suppose you could make it a breech-loader, but I'm just curious.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:51 pm

Nice water balloon launcher! The electrical box adds something to the aesthetics that other WBLs don't have.

I don't think it's a muzzle loader SilentGuy. It doesn't appear that he cemented the barrel onto the coupler it is attached in, so that could act as a simple breech.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:15 pm

Great launcher! I just love the electronics box; it looks professional. I think that it's the first electrical box I've seen for this type of launcher.

I've experienced that kind of sanding before as well when I built a Nerf homemade. It's a real pain, but obviously gets quality results.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Killer 7

Post by Killer 7 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:00 pm

No it is a breech loader, but its a pain to load.