Is this sprinkler valve OK?

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
adiventure

Re: Is this sprinkler valve OK?

Post by adiventure » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:38 am

Also, is there any recommendation of where to put the psi gauge?

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:48 am

Drilling a hole weakens the pipe, so always install your gauge in a socket to pipe connection, because the plastic is twice as thick there. Keeping that in mind, just put it wherever is most convenient so you can easily check your pressure.

adiventure

Post by adiventure » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Hm, Ok, I'll try that. I have finished building the launcher (pressure gauge, future silencer and bolt non withstanding), and am having some trouble with air leakage through the . I think the problem stems from a half arsed drilling job (my valve apparently has a guide rod, and one hell of a difficult design to modify [there is almost no room with which to drill through, I ended up having to go through the external wall and one internal wall, ending millimeters before the guide rod). I'm going to be going down to the hardware store to get some epoxy putty, which I hope will be able to stop the leak around the edges of the barbed hose adapter, and allow the valve to build up of pressure. I will also be getting the sabot materials, along with some tennis balls to test with, so hopefully I'll be able to launch by tonight.

adiventure

Post by adiventure » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:41 am

Well, I puttied pretty much everything I could think of up, but air is still getting through. Any Ideas? I was wondering if perhaps the spring in the valve is not strong enough to hold the initial pressure, but I honestly cant tell what the actual problem is... The problem seems to have existed before I modified the valve, but I cant be sure as I didn't have the materials to test it until after it was modified. I guess I could have gotten a lemon, but is there any way to fix it now? I assume no store will take back a valve with holes, and epoxy putty all over the place.

Edit: I have found 2, small air leaks in places I have never touched. One, from an overhanging piece where the solenoid goes, and the other is coming from beneath a screw. Might anyone have an idea on how to fix the screw leak? There doesn't seem to be a crack, and I certainly cant tighten it any more. I figure I can try a little more teflon tape, but that seems more of a temporary solution.
Last edited by adiventure on Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:13 am

I've never used a sprinkler valve before but if you post some pictures, other members might be able to help you.

adiventure

Post by adiventure » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Ok, I just went outside and tested it at slightly below 100 psi. It was a complete flop. Despite hours of leak plugging and epoxy puttying, I got literally 30 ' with a tennis ball. I have no Idea what Is wrong, I assume the valve isnt opening fast enough, and I think that is probably a problem with the specific valve. The majority of leaks have been blocked, but there seems to be a few that are eluding me. The valve is a rainbird 1" valve, but I dont remember the number right (and my camera is lost). I think I'm just going to have to spend another 30 bucks buying one already modded online and getting it shipped to me, because this is asinine.

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:34 am

That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear about that. What does the valve sound like when it fires? Does it have a sharp 'crack' or a slower 'shoomp' or even a honking noise? Also, what sort of wadding were you using to fire the tennis ball?

adiventure

Post by adiventure » Tue May 13, 2008 11:10 pm

Thought I might as well give an update. The cannon itself is finished, and as of ten minutes ago all the airleaks are plugged (atleast I think so, more on that later). I was unable to resolve the trouble I had with the valve, and resorted to purchasing a 1" modified valve from BCARMS, which I recieved a few days ago. Unfortuneatly, despite a fair amount of troubleshooting the valve does function >.> . It is quite possibly my error, but unlike the original valve the new one seems to either A, hold no air, or B, hold some air with a continous leak, and not fire upon releasing the blowgun. I have just plugged the small leaks in the PC itself, and am waiting for the epoxy putty to dry, but I do not expect to be able to test the airtighness as the valve seems to be holding no pressure. Hopefully the owner of BCARMS will get back to me soon and either help me repair my valve, or send me a new one, but as it is I would value all your advice on the matter. I have tried unscrewing the valve and everything looked normal (take that with a grain of salt as I have only ever seen the inside of one other valve). The valve in question is: http://www.bcarms.com/product_info.php? ... 1c9b7b8ab0

Quick update, I am now almost entirely convinced that there is some major problem with the valve. I achieved momentary compression, and the launcher was pressurized to approximately 90 psi (the max of my current compressor), however at some point in the proccess the spring from the valve blew out and gave me one hell of a nasty bruise. I have since tried pressurizing with, and without the spring to no effect.
Last edited by adiventure on Wed May 14, 2008 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 14, 2008 12:52 am

Unfortunately, we're not exactly sprinkler valve experts. If you want better feedback about firing valves, try searching the SpudFiles forums. :cool:

Good luck with the launcher, and thanks for posting back!

adiventure

Post by adiventure » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:21 pm

I have now solved the problem with the valve (there was a missing piece), and received a replacement. I have gotten all but one leak clogged, however that one leak is currently limiting me to about 60-80 psi, and my compressor currently only goes to 90. Hopefully I will build a new sabot and get to test it out today or tomorrow.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:47 am

Good to see you're still working on this, and thanks for keeping us posted! :)

Hopefully you can get the leak clogged. We have a fillet welding and seal fixing guide on the site, but Google's not turning it up...I'll look again tomorrow.