hi, I'm new here.

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
Specter

hi, I'm new here.

Post by Specter » Sun May 13, 2007 11:24 pm

Hello. I'm new here and i would like to build a water balloon launcher. I'm looking on my local Lowes and Home Depot websites and only the Lowes carries PVC pipe (I may just have to go in-store to see who has what). As I'm looking I try to find the pressure rated pipe but they seem to not have any on the site. The only pressure rated sizes i see are 1"-1.3/4" and that won't be good for a PC. Also a lot of pvc parts say "do not use with compressed air or gas" What i have in mind is a 3 foot 3" PC with a 4 foot 2" barrel (its not that big i know, I would like to start a bit small and also keep cost low) Another thing I may have a problem with is that Lowes only sells the pvc in 10 foot sections (i can most likely get 2-3 cannons out of my design with the pipe I get) I may include a picture of my design later. I found that instead of a ball valve I will use the sprinkler valve system. I found one on the HD site 'will this be good?' (if the link doesn't work heres the model name: Lawn Genie
RJ 3/4 In. In-Line Valve (Female Thread))or will i need a bigger one?

Sorry if i have a lot of questions, this seemed simpler at first thought.

I want to use the sprinkler valve as it can be set up to use an electronic button as a trigger(i assume) this will be easy for me to set up considering I work with robotics at my school and I'm into electronics/circuit boards and other stuff like that.

the reason I would like to build one of these is that last year at the end of the school year we had a picnic for the robotics team and someone brought a water balloon launcher with a few balloons (3) what fun that could've been with more.(considering my high school has 60 acres of land) Their water balloon launcher was a bit like the Douchenator except it came apart for transport(the barrel came off from the ball valve)

Ok I think this is enough rambling, I'll add more later in the topic.
Just give me some basic info as how to approach this project.
Thanks.

EDIT: i have most supplies i may need in order so i can add up what it may possibly cost.
Last edited by Specter on Sun May 13, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 13, 2007 11:50 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central!

I'd advise going to the stores to see if they have the pressure rated pipe...then again, it sounds like you need to know what to get before you go.

Assuming the pipe is pressure rated, with a maximum pressure printed on the side, "Do not use with compressed air" means for industrial systems. Those systems use powerful pumps create resonance and the water hammer effect. But just to be sure, ask somebody there. And in any case, if it says "drainage pipe," "cell core" (cellular core - with microscopic bubbles, so it's lighter), or just isn't pressure rated, then don't use it.

Your water balloon launcher will actually be fairly big...unless you're referring to the diameter of the barrel. Even that isn't too bad, although a 3" barrel would probably be preferable. You can use the leftovers from the PC tubing, or just cheap cell core PVC, for the barrel. Cell core is okay as long as you don't have anything heavy as a projectile. Use an over-under format, where the PC is parallel to the barrel, using two tees. The sprinkler valve should be in the straight part with the barrel, not in the part with the PC.

Stores usually sell PVC in 5 foot and 10 foot lengths.

The sprinkler valve you linked to should work. However, for $1.50 more, you could get a 1" valve that would have greater flow and performance for less pressure.

Solenoids are convenient, but their performance isn't very good. What you should do is a basic sprinkler valve mod, using a blowgun or a ball valve. Check out this post for details. I did a search on the Lowes site, and those blowguns are about $5-10.

EDIT: Interchangeable barrels are easy. You'll need male adapters (fittings with male threads) to screw in the solenoid anyway, at least for the solenoid you're getting; so glue male adapters onto the barrel(s). You can add and remove the barrel whenever you want to, although if you use an over-under design, it'll be compact anyway.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:51 pm

Have a look through your local Home Depot(s), most of them should carry pressure rated 3', but yours not carrying PVC at all is just strange... However, I do know for a fact that most, if not all Lowes don't carry pressure rated pipe for larger sizes.

Edit: Didn't see Silent's post before mine came out. For the pressure chamber, you only need about 1 foot of PVC, but you can get more if you want more pressure chambers. It might be a good idea to make the barrel interchangable so you can disassemble, and try out different barrel lengths. I'd recommend cellcore pipe for that (the barrel) simply because it's lighter and a bit cheaper. As said, just don't load heavy objects and it should work fine.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Sun May 13, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Specter

Post by Specter » Sun May 13, 2007 11:59 pm

thanks, I may just use a ball valve to be more convenient. I'll take a picture of my drawing and post it here to show my idea. I find this place to be helpful, (i was looking on google for water balloon launcher plans and found this, looked around it for a few hours lastnight then decided to join today)

Edit: and according to you guys i should make the PC 1'-2'? Now that i think , yea, it would take alot of pumping for 3ft.

heres my drawing. I made this drawing before there were any replies so its not what i may finish with.

Last edited by SSCBen on Mon May 14, 2007 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 14, 2007 12:27 am

Yes, you'll have slightly lower performance with less chamber volume, but you'll have a lot less pumping to do and you can always use a longer barrel instead.

The design you had look good. All I'd suggest is moving the valve so that it's inline with the barrel, so that the launcher is more compact and there's less dead space between the valve and the projectile to lose pressure. You could move the valve to be inline with the PC - it wouldn't solve the dead space issue, but it would make the launcher more compact. The dead space helps a bit, not much though...your choice.

In the end, once you're on the battlefield, nobody will care whether your launcher gets 600 feet or 700 feet of range. It's still 20 times better than many water guns. :p

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon May 14, 2007 2:08 am

I don't really plan to use it on a battlefield since there's no "water fight league" or anything like that in my area. haha, but i plan to use it for fun/fooling around/recreation. basic stuff like that. when i mentioned that my school has a lot of land, i kinda referred to having the wide open unobstructed space to see how far it can shoot, compared to a street or somewhere else.

DX

Post by DX » Mon May 14, 2007 3:23 am

If you do ever want to fight in a good war, Ridgewood, NJ is not that far from your location.

Home Depot doesn't have PVC? Mine carries pressure rated pipe up to 6"! Even my local Sears and Home Hardware carry rated PVC, up to 4". PVC is as common and cheap as dirt in Jersey, you shouldn't have any problems finding it. Don't trust the websites, look directly in the stores.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon May 14, 2007 3:36 am

DX wrote:If you do ever want to fight in a good war, Ridgewood, NJ is not that far from your location.

Home Depot doesn't have PVC? Mine carries pressure rated pipe up to 6"! Even my local Sears and Home Hardware carry rated PVC, up to 4". PVC is as common and cheap as dirt in Jersey, you shouldn't have any problems finding it. Don't trust the websites, look directly in the stores.

yea i mentioned in my original post i think that it might just be the site and i might just go look in the store. In my opinion Lowes and Home Depot have the crappiest sites i have ever seen and used. They are highly unreliable. Lastnight i was on the lowes site shopping at my local store because you have to put that in before you shop or whatever, so i go to look for pvc pipe and it says "this department is not available at the ______ location lowes store, please try a different location" or something along those lines, then i go on the site today and it works, seems really dumb to me... And home depot know showing pvc at all on their site seems unusual to me.

edit: when are these wars you speak of? You say its not that far away, but in this day and age to drive there and back would cost as much to build a water balloon launcher, haha. But for me, 45 miles/1hr5min is a bit long.

edit 2: where would i be able to find a pressure gauge without "stealing" one from my robotics compressor supplies? Preferably cheap and around 100-120 psi max? and how could i go attaching that to a WBL
Last edited by Specter on Mon May 14, 2007 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon May 14, 2007 5:17 am

i have a question about how these water wars or whatever they are, are fought. Is it comparable to paintball , only using water and water guns ? it may seem better than paintball to me considering theres less injury?, and not having to where all the armor etc. needed in paintball. I have played paintball before so i know some types of strategy needed in war based sports.

DX

Post by DX » Mon May 14, 2007 4:07 pm

Don't trust the sites and don't even trust the workers. I've asked them before about parts, and many don't know what any of it is. "That doesn't exist" is a common answer, and I often found the fitting like a minute later. The good thing about NJ is the selection of parts - you may be able to find really rare ones. I once found a 3/4" to 3" bushing - weird stuff like that saves you money and space on the launcher.

Most bike pumps and air compressors have an attached pressure gauge. You shouldn't have to buy a separate one.

As for wars, they vary. My wars are somewhat comparable to paintball, with huge 1-2 mile woodland battlefields [though water wars can be fought anywhere], homemade water cannons, water balloon launchers, etc. Unlike in paintball, most water guns generally can't shoot farther than 60ft or so, therefore the emphasis is on tactics and maneuvering. The chance of injury is very slim and you don't need any body equipment. Locally, we've only had two minor injuries in the past 4 years, both related to bad falls.

The main advantage to water warfare is the cost - virtually free.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon May 14, 2007 9:06 pm

edit 2: where would i be able to find a pressure gauge without "stealing" one from my robotics compressor supplies? Preferably cheap and around 100-120 psi max? and how could i go attaching that to a water balloon launcher
Pressure gauges are pretty easy to find. Walk into Lowes or Home Depot and ask anyone where the air compressors and air tools are. In that area there should be pressure gauges. Typically these gauges are only available in 1/4 inch diameter NPT size, but if you have a selection, choose a 1/4 inch one.

As for attaching them, a few seem confused about how this is done, but in reality it is rather simple. You'll have to go into another part of the store in the plumbing section (typically right next to the PVC section) and find a 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch bushing. They should be golden in color and look something like this drawing:

With this part and some teflon tape, which is also in the plumbing section and typically is very easy to find (it's probably the most common thing there!), you can simply screw the pressure gauge onto a PVC part with threads to attach it to the launcher.

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon May 14, 2007 10:09 pm

thanks for all the help. I'm deciding if I should actually put the gauge or not. and instead of the sprinkler valve I'll use a ball valve to cut down on price a bit and make it easier to use.
does the over/under style really matter? I know it makes it a bit more compact, but as I said, I won't be using this in any water fights/battles or anything, just for recreation/fun.
maybe I'll make my own Douchenator type launcher, like take the basic idea of the douche but modify it for my own ideas.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Well, if compactness isn't an issue, then it doesn't matter. Still, I think over-under systems looks better...but maybe that's just me. :rolleyes:

Use a ball valve if you want to, but a sprinkler valve will have much better performance. If the thing is just for demonstration you could either go for more range or just forget it entirely.

Specter

Post by Specter » Tue May 15, 2007 10:38 pm

i thought up a second drawing. As soon as i can i will take a picture of it and post it up. If it needs any changes feel free to tell me. thanks

Specter

Post by Specter » Wed May 16, 2007 12:38 am

heres my second design. I choose the over-under type to keep it a bit more compact and because it looks cooler like silentguy said. i think I will choose to make it all 3" pipe like i wrote on the drawing just to save me the hassle of having to buy more pipe, and being able to fit slightly larger water balloons. What i may have a bit of trouble with is how do i attach the ball valve to the barrel and elbows? Just give me some easy to follow suggestions just to get the gist of it. Thanks. heres the photo: