hi, I'm new here.

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
DX

Post by DX » Wed May 16, 2007 2:45 am

Depends on the type of ball valve. Firstly, 1" is the smallest valve you want. Most larger ball valves are brass [I can find 2, 3, and even 4" PVC valves but they are ridiculously expensive]. That is a personal choice - prices vary by region. Everyone complains how expensive metal valves are in comparison, but I could drag them into a "local" hardware store [national chain, regional chain, actually local, any sized store really we have multiples of everything] and prove the exact opposite. Rural area = PVC probably cheaper, big metro area = metal probably cheaper. Next, you probably want to go with a threaded valve for either. If your valve has threads, you can connect it with a male adaptor on each side and can therefore screw on/off the barrel and pc. This can be useful later.

You might not need a brace if you make your elbow connections as short as possible. I tend to try to get things like that compact enough to simply wrap duct tape around them. Pipe saddles work really well if you do need a form or brace to hold the barrel and pc in place.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Specter

Post by Specter » Wed May 16, 2007 3:01 am

ok i can see how the valve having threads can be useful. Like can change the barrel.

I don't know what a pipe saddle is, can you briefly explain what it is and does? (i cant seem to find anything useful off google.)

hydroblast

Water balloon Bazooka and W.B mortar.

Post by hydroblast » Wed May 16, 2007 4:52 am

I realize I'm new here, but I make and sell all types of water balloon shooters. Its easy with the right peices.
I built a W.B mortar that will shoot 9 to 12 balloons up to 700 feet. No I,m not jokeing. My bazooka was featured on attack of the show about 4 weeks ago.
Please check out myaircannons to see all the crazy stuff I make.
Thanks Randy

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 16, 2007 9:28 pm

Search for pipe saddles on McMaster-Carr. They essentially fit over some pipe and you put the end of another tube or fitting over it. But it's a nice design, and if you need a brace, duct tape might work better than a pipe saddle. ;)

Most areas have PVC ball valves cheaper than metal. And it's more of an industrial-nonindustrial thing than a city-county thing.

Welcome aboard, hydroblast! Where are your air cannons? Do you have pictures? Sure sounds interesting, I'd like to check them out!

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu May 17, 2007 12:43 am

for a brace i will probably use some foam and duct tape, considering duct tape is the best invention ever, and i have some tough foam laying around.

and you guys always throw that mcmaster name around, i've known about that before i came here, because we order robot parts from there at my school.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu May 17, 2007 10:56 am

Welcome to the forums Hydroblast! Enjoy your stay.

SilentGuy, his website is http://www.myaircannons.com/

hydroblast

If its wet... we can shoot it!

Post by hydroblast » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:11 am

Hi guys
Thanks for the welcome.
I'm cronically busy being thats its summer and all,(building too many water toys).
I do a lot of design work, and as times permits I want to offer some of this back to you all here.
Thanks Hydro...