Practical applications for air cannons?

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
fradzap

Practical applications for air cannons?

Post by fradzap » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:30 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if there are any practical applications for air powered water balloon launching cannons? Actually, from what I've seen of them on this forum, Bazooka would be a more accurate name than cannon.

One use I thought of was to knock down some dead branches from a tall, old tree in our yard. ( or retrieving that tree-captured Frisbee )

Any others out there with thoughts on the subject? Your responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much, Fradzap (Kirk) :)
"I don't think so..but maybe not".. K. Adams

"...There's no insult like the truth".. Charlie Peacock

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:07 pm

I thought there was a topic like this, but searching didn't turn up anything. Maybe it's at another soaking forum.

I did, however, find Strictly Utilitarian. But it uses a water gun and is only one case.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:12 pm

Practical applications...how about a fairly harmless way of keeping pests out?

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:02 pm

I've seen them used for launching long antenna wires up into trees (to improve reception), or launching ropes into them to climb/pull them down.

Most of the practical uses that have been found appear to be for doing stuff to trees - other than stopping intruders in your house. (But don't talk about that kind of stuff here... *shifty eyes*)

I'm kidding about the home defence - in case you don't know...
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

fradzap

Home defense, eh?

Post by fradzap » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:34 pm

That idea of home defense sounds good to me! ....... Imagine getting blown from the front porch to half-way out into the front lawn with a water baloon shot at close range to the mid-section. You'd probably think a time or two before trying to pull a job in that neighborhood again.

My wife & 21 Year old daughter think I'm nuts for wanting to build a water balloon bazooka. My older daughter (27) would be helping me to get it built in a hurry so she could try it out, if she still lived at home.

I'm sure that they will all be impressed when I prune the old dead limbs out of out of the big, tall trees out in our yard. I know the pre-teen boys that live in our neighborhood will be impressed.

I'm considering making something along the lines of the douchenator with sched. 80 PVC and painting it camoflage style. Something that looks quite leathal and that would be quite sturdy.

Thanks for your response, Fradzap :)
"I don't think so..but maybe not".. K. Adams

"...There's no insult like the truth".. Charlie Peacock

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:55 pm

Nice plans! Mind you, you'll have to find a way to pump it up to levels that would make Schedule 80 PVC worth the weight and price trade-off. People normally don't pressurize much past 125 PSI (or less?) because of diminishing returns, for safety reasons, and because bike pumps and the like often can't reach higher pressures. Also, if you want power, it's just as efficient to create a larger pressure chamber (for a greater volume of air) or to create a longer barrel (so there's more time to accelerate the projectile). And finally, remember to use a fast-opening valve like a modified sprinkler valve (I can link to a guide). Good luck!