wbl question

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
radman

wbl question

Post by radman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:21 pm

I have made aqualabs 3.2 launcher and it works great but pumping it manually takes a long time. I was just wondering if there was a way to make it fire faster. I need all the help i can get thanks. :)
Radman

guerrilla91

Post by guerrilla91 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:24 pm

The way to make pumping faster and much easier is to buy an air compressor (thats what i did) or to hook it up to a co2 tank with a regulator.

To make it pump faster with a bike pump, you could either (if you have a rather small pump) buy a larger pump or decrease the size of the pressure chamber.

radman

Post by radman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:26 pm

I have used an air compressor and i have the biggest bike pump available to me right now. But, I need a way to fill it fast on the field.
Radman

Big Boss

Post by Big Boss » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:28 pm

In response to my question about WB launchers, It was hypothesised that one could use something like a SCUBA tank, or other such portable compressed air tank to carry on your back, and use that to refill the pressure chamber.

guerrilla91

Post by guerrilla91 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:33 pm

The air compressor i am using is a rather large 6 gallon one. It lasts for a while with my mortar. Heres what i do with my compressor for fast filling. I have a piece of hose attached to a ball valve and a quick disconnect nozzle. The hose is long enough that i can maneuver somewhat with it. I set the regulator on my compressor to 100 psi, and with a twist of the ball valve, my chamber is filled. I close the valve but leave the hose attached, and fire off the balloon. I take the next balloon, load it, twist the valve fire. I can do this until the compressor runs out. Mind you, if you fire too fast, the pc will become cold and brittle, and may explode, so take a few breaks.

if you have a large compressor like me, this is the way to go. However, if you only have a small one for pumping up tires, this will not work.

A scuba tank or co2 tank is defintaley another good option, however you must buy the correct regulator to take the psi down from 800 or something to whatever psi you use.

radman

Post by radman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:53 pm

Is there a way to make a tank that you can put on your back?
Radman

guerrilla91

Post by guerrilla91 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:05 pm

Yes that would be possible. You would have to buy a smaller tank of co2, probably paintball tank sized, and outfit it with the right regulator. then just put it in a backpack and with the ball valve quick fill and youve got it.

take a look at this link. the cannon is a coaxial piston cannon, and his co2 tank is something that would be easy to put on your back or even mount on the cannon like he has.

http://www.geocities.com/cain333_2000/
Last edited by guerrilla91 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radman

Post by radman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:14 pm

About ho much would the co2 tank and regulator cost?
Radman

guerrilla91

Post by guerrilla91 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:19 pm

that I do not know. You could try emailing the guy who built the above cannon to see where he bought his.

Edit: the co2 canister would cost only around $20 from any paintball place.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:13 am

Use a frame or other hiking backpack if you plan to carry a CO2 tank around with you. The other options would be inefficient for me at least, and that includes actually using Schrader valves in battle, using an air compressor, and using a smaller tank.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:41 am

You could build an air pressure tank from PVC too. It would be very cheap but would require construction. You would need an input check valve and an output valve (which could be a ball valve or one of many different kinds of fittings) and some pipe. A pressure gauge would be helpful but not required. You would just have to make sure that you can attach the tank to the gun with some tubing. You could then mount this onto a frame backpack.

To fill the tank, you could get some compressor attachments and a threaded coupler and attach those to the check valve. The tubing that you would use to connect the gun to the tank would depend on the way that you would fill the gun. Most people only use schrader valves, so the end of the tubing that connects to the gun should have a schrader valve filling attachment.

The CAP (constant air pressure) homemade that Ben is making at the moment uses a 7 gallon air tank. Ben and I recommend using an air compressor. We got rid of our old 6 gallon air compressor because it was too small, and now we have a large 30 gallon one.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

guerrilla91

Post by guerrilla91 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:51 am

That seems like a very good idea. I might just have to try it. While not as portable as a small tank of co2, it would be much cheaper and easier to build, as well as being safer. 800 psi is nothing to fool around with. you have to know what youre doing to set up a co2 regulator system.

radman

Post by radman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:08 pm

Does anyone know how to make a pressure tank. Sorry but I am clue less :confused:
Last edited by radman on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radman

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:29 pm

Many home improvement stores sell portable air tanks. Ben is using a 7 gallon one in his newest homemade. I do not know how much they would cost though. Since many water balloon launchers use a schrader valve, you could buy an air tank and then buy a schrader valve filling attachment.

As I have said and detailed in my previous post, you can also build an air tank from PVC. If you want more information on that, you could consult my previous post.
Last edited by Drenchenator on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replacing an indirect object with a pronoun
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:36 pm

If you need high pressure, and you can get one, CO2 fire extingushers can hold more than you will ever be able to create.

Or putting pipe together correctly will allow you a large backpack for not quite the same pressure rating.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston