A WBL design inspired by BBT

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
mr. dude

A WBL design inspired by BBT

Post by mr. dude » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:29 pm

I have the Buzz Bee Toys Ball Blast-Zooka, and I thought that, with a bit of modifying,it could make a good Water Balloon Launcher.
Here's the link to what it looks like: http://www.buzzbeetoys.com/RSAirBlaster ... 04160.html
Basically what it does is every time you pump, it pushes the air inside the gun, thus forcing the balls out. I can throw further than this thing can shoot, but as I said with a bit of modification it might be good.
What do you people think of this?

radman

Post by radman » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:36 pm

I am new so I am not sure this will work but you can try. I think You would need a lot of modifying to get it to shoot water balloons I would say to some how turn it into a value and make a separate air chamber.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:25 pm

Foam balls wiegh a few grams - a water balloon can weigh 100+ grams - that will seriously reduce range.

It's probably not worth the bother to do it.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:36 pm

Yes, it appears as if joannaardway is correct. There is nowhere near enough power in a Blast-Zooka to propel something as massive as a water balloon far enough to be effective. Unless, of course, it were seriously modded...

How many pumps does the Blast-Zooka usually take to become completely pressurized? The only way to allow for increased pressure beyond that is to freeze the check valve. Even if this still leaves insufficient pressure for the purposes of a WBL, it will still give you more impressive range (hopefully further than you can throw its projectiles).

By the way, the only reason I'm even suggesting that you mod this is because you already have. If you did not have, and if you were still interested in WBLs, then you could spend money on building a cheap WBL (and you still can). Even though I'm not really a fan of WBLs, as joannaardway will attest, I agree that homemade WBLs have a greater performance to price/effort ratio with any commercial counterparts than do actual soakers. Read up on the Douchenator if you want any proof of that.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:12 am

How many pumps does the Blast-Zooka usually take to become completely pressurized?
If you pump it hard enough, you'd only need one pump to shoot the balls out. It also doesn't really get pressurized, it's something like piston pressure because every pump usually shoots the projectile.
Read up on the Douchenator if you want any proof of that.
Croc and I do want to make a douchenator, and we have the instructions so we just need the materials.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:04 am

Ah, so this is a rapid-fire weapon. I guess it might be more effective than WBLs in some situations (short range, enemy charges, etc.), but there's no way it could get water balloons any distance at all--at least, no farther than throwing range.

Okay, I've spoiled your fun now :D , so I might as well put in my suggestion. If you can find some really tiny water balloons--say, with a maximum capacity of 10-20 grams--then this might be possible to ward off enemies in "urban" conflicts. Basically, if a whole group of guys pop out at close range from behind a corner, then you can use this to "saturate the air" with water balloons. But it will probably still need extra work; maybe you can have a pressure chamber that feeds air as you pump, possibly doubling the output.

I was thinking of something else that I was going to suggest, but I forgot it while writing that last paragraph...maybe I'll edit my post when I remember what I was going to say...sorry...