How to make a water balloon launcher

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
SSCBen

How to make a water balloon launcher

Post by SSCBen » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:42 pm

I keep getting emails and PMs about making water balloon launchers. We've seen quite a few requests for water balloon launchers here at our forums and at other forums. Apparently some think that Pepper's Havoc launcher here at our site is too hard to make. This thread will exist to post links to existing water balloon launcher designs so people will know how to make other water balloon launchers.

Feel free to post a new link you find here. I will post a few links from my head, but please remember that my list is far from complete.

- AquaTech's website with water balloon launcher instructions
- SoakerMedia's "Douchenator" water balloon launcher
- Pepper's "Havoc" water balloon launcher
Last edited by SSCBen on Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:36 pm

http://s8.invisionfree.com/soakermedia/ ... wtopic=541

-Bad Footage of the Douchenator firing. We've filmed some amazing shots since then, will post the new footage ASAP.

http://www.soakermedia.sscentral.org/wbl.html

-The old Douchenator. New ones have a longer tank, longer barrel, and bigger ball valve. Our next ones will both have 3" metal ball valves.

^So that's what's wrong. The word filter takes "water balloon launcher " and makes it "water balloon launcher" effectively destroying the url. I've noticed this happening on all SM urls using any common abbreviations. Replace the whole end of the url with water balloon launcher.html and it should work.

And this is why I hate word filters. My whole post is now screwed up! Forget it.
Last edited by SSCBen on Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

m15399

Post by m15399 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:26 am

I assume you meant W B L? Since neither of the above links to the Douch work... Go here and click on "Water balloon Launcher Design". If someone can't follow those instructions, they really shouldn't be concerned with building a wbl. :p

DX

Post by DX » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:36 am

I may rush the v2 article...complete with our new footage as well. Articles will have video clips whenever possible, and the new Douchenator speaks for itself when filmed.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:42 am

I don't want a 3 inch ball valve. Firstly it's too big and secondly it's hard to turn the handle. I'll stick to the 1 1/4 inch or 1 1/2 inch. Also, W.B.L. is filtered? That's just rediculous.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Here: http://www.soakermedia.sscentral.org/wa ... uncher.php is the link for the new Douchenator Article, with new pictures and a better quality video.

http://www.soakermedia.sscentral.org/wa ... uncher.php

addy606

Post by addy606 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:20 am

Great sites, but how about a guide on how to make a homemade with buck shot (other than Doom's APH).
Last edited by addy606 on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your close enough a spray-bottle will do.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:52 am

How about looking through recent threads? I've been working on this recently: http://forums.sscentral.org/t3456/

SoakerMedia also has their APR homemade water gun design that is similar to the APH design and can get a riotblast.

Big Boss

Post by Big Boss » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:36 pm

I dunno where else to put this... but it sort of has to do with launchers.

I tried to learn a bit about PVC Schedules, but I didn't find much useful information. What I'm trying to find out is if it is safe to switch a recommended PVC SCH for a higher one. (Specifically, 40 -> 80)

I found rifled PVC, which theoretically should increase my WBL's accuracy and range. (If the ridges don't tear the balloon apart, that is.) It's available in the diamater I need, but only in Schedule 80. Now, schedule 80 is rated at a higher max pressure than 40, but I want to be positive that the nonuniformity won't cause problems.

Also, would it cause problems if I only built one section (the barrel) out of Rifled PVC SCH 80, and the rest out of standard SCH 40? Again, I'm thinking it won't, but you guys may know something I don't.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:02 pm

The compatibility should be fine, so don't worry about it. Also, I don't suggest rifling at all--it will just add complexity (if it's even possible to get a sabot and all), possibly ruin the balloon, and it won't increase accuracy too much. Naturally, having a combination won't work because the sabot wouldn't create a proper seal, unless you only intended for the rifling to be in the barrel and for the smooth PVC to be in the rest.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:33 am

Do NOT rifle a WBL! Especially with the Spudtech stuff.... (Besides the rifling reduces the pressure rating)

The main site states that it might be a good idea (perhaps it would be good to change this Ben?). 1 day on the spudtech forums can blast that idea apart.

It will not work whatsoever, and the edges will merely rip the balloon apart.

You'd need to spin the water up, and rifling will not do that - your only option would be to have a motorised barrel to spin the balloon prior to firing (Very tricky, but the only way).

However, the spin will cause the balloon to flatten out against the air when fired, and will reduce range, and will probably actually reduce accuracy. Spin is the last thing you want on a water balloon.

I am also fairly well informed that the spudtech rifled barrels have little effect on a GOOD projectile.

If you want accuracy, then have venting/porting to reduce muzzle blast, a tight fitting balloon and a long barrel.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

vaporizer_2

Post by vaporizer_2 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:04 pm

A while ago, I made a douchenator style launcher, and I must say, the design rocks.

My launcher is almost 7 feet tall, and it can launch a balloon 300+ feet. :eek:

I need to buy another bike pump or air compressor, because it already popped the other two that I was using to pressurize it.

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:19 am

Sorry for reviving an old sticky, but I realized something today, that I did not know!
People in Canada can make Douchenators/WBLs!
I found this plumbing store called Holmar Plumbing Supplies Inc., and it has pressure rated 3" PVC, and reducers from 3" down to whatever...
I then just have to go to home depot and get a sprinkler valve, and find an old switch that's lying around my house (Not to mention getting batteries). I have noticed that it is possible to hide the circuitry from getting wet, by putting it inside a handle that is connected to the barrel or PC, whichever you choose. I am hopefully getting my parts for a Douchenator tomorrow, or some time during my 2 week march break.
~CROC~
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back