Very easy WBL

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:38 pm

One of the great things this WBL has done is drawn interest to our group. I think people are hooked now and want to go to our war in april. The militia is growing. B)

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

War Admiral

Post by War Admiral » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:44 am

I made your WBL today.Iam waiting for the glue to dry.Though mines size is 4'4".
Its not as small as yours.
It is the old who declare war but it is the youth who die for it.
-Herbert Hoover

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:45 am

:blink: Are you sure you have all the materials? I haven't even shown an article on how to make it. Did you get thread seal tape? Hope yours works. I'm not too sure it will.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

War Admiral

Post by War Admiral » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:02 pm

I followed the drawing except I have a plastic ball valve.Though I Don't have any thread seal tape
It is the old who declare war but it is the youth who die for it.
-Herbert Hoover

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:42 pm

The PVC ball valve is not going to be able to release air fast enough. Thats why I got a metal or gas ball valve. Takes care of the problem of releasing it too slow.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:11 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but why do metal ball valves release air faster than PVC ones?
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:21 pm

They seem to have more grease in them and for some reason slide better. I tested the PVC ball valves at the store and they were too stiff to be able to get the air out fast enough to make whatever is in the barrel go anywhere. Then I tried the metal/gas ball valve and it was so much easier.

USSA

Post by USSA » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:05 pm

If you test just about the entire box of pvc ball valves you can almost always find one that is quite loose. Also the design is incredibly simple (on a side note I already have 1 and the parts for another.)

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:17 pm

Jeeze! How many people have made them?! And have you tested yours?

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:28 pm

Maybe this whole WBL thing needs to be taken to another level. Perhaps we should have a race for the first Automatic/Semi-automatic WBL design and manufacture. B)
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

USSA

Post by USSA » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:08 pm

I'm building a giant (say 7 feet long) piston cannon as of now (insert crazed demented laugh) but a semi auto gun competition would be fun. The only problem is what the definition of semiauto is. I could just duct tape 3 of my air cannons together and then turn their switches thus being semi-auto for all intents and purposes. Perhaps a gun which fires multiple rounds out of the same barrel? (Then again that is equally simple... You could just have a gravity feed or if it was still eligible a bolt action gun would allow the air to remain more... contained. Then for pressure multiple tanks with T pieces and ball valves which would open the way for a solenoid to send the shell rocketing.) In short if we do this then a very specific description must be created.

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:36 pm

I can see a gravity fed wbl already in my mind but semi auto? Maybe semi auto can be done with a gatlin gun design but it would be hard to make and cost a lot.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:31 am

I had an idea for a feeder, or a clip for my WBL. But I would have to make a new one. I'll see if I can build it this weekend. The design is basically my WBL with a long piece ontop that hold water balloons. I can't think of anyway to make a continous line of pressure to allow for multiple shots in a short period of time though.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:10 pm

EDIT: Sorry, this post went unposted through the night. It was going to a direct response to the Semi/Auto WBL race.

That would be a long ongoing race. As far as I know, it has always been going on. Even semi auto nerf guns are a rarity, and they require massive amounts less of space for ammo, and amounts of air.
I say, anyone give it a go. A WBL is a very simple thing. Its making one that is useful in battle that is hard.
A PVC ball valve is finee. The cost is much less, so thats a plus. Because of that you can get a much larger internal diameter for the same price or cheaper as a small metal one. The 2" ball valve in my Offensive WBL cost me $10 and opens super smooth. Much faster than normal PVC ball valves. Look here to see the ball valve. You will notice it looks very different. I think this style ball valve is normally used in different application than most ball valves, and so has a easier to use handle.
And guys remember, this isn't the first compact WBL. My offensive WBL is only 2.5' and can shoot 90'. If you want better performance, make the "T" 3" instead of 2. The larger air capacty will make a huge difference.

EDIT #2:Having a long use air capacity is an extreamly simple idea. All you need is a large Co2 tank (like one for paintball guns). Hook it up to a regulator so the PC is being continuously pressurized at 100 PSI and your good to go. I think if I am right, the regulator will continue to let compressed Co2 in until it is up to pressure. So if used in cunjunction with a selinoid valve, the amount of air lost after the balloon has left the barrel would be much smaller. Put a ball valve after the regulator to completely deal with this problem, and only have one extra fireing step.

As for gravity fed loading mechanisms, thats a good idea but not one of the best, as they have to be mounted in the line of view, making targeting more difficult. You could of course have it off center with a slope to the barrel at the end. But, this all looks very weird.
The next idea would be a platform spring load mechanism. These can prove difficult to assemble, and if not done properly will cause many loading problems. If done right, they are wonderfull llittle things.

Anyone with a tone of money *cough* DREWSKY*cough* might want to try building something like this. I know I would if I had the $$ to spare.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------

USSA

Post by USSA » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:33 pm

I'm thinking about a three shot pac but it's still in the planning phases