WBLs

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:35 pm

:angry: I started to build BSs WBL, however my dad saw it, and because he understands the basic principles behind air pressure and stuff, he knew what it could do, so now I'm not allowed one because apparantly it's too dangerous. :angry:

Has anyone got any ideas on how I can convince my parents it's not dangerous?

Well ok it is, but any good lies to tell them would be good.
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:16 pm

Just say you will only use it at long range not close range making it way less dangerous.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:43 am

Don't build one. If you're parents don't want you to build one, you're bound to run into trouble if you do. Just don't do it.
Whatever music you listen to probably sucks.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:25 am

dude! Have your parents read my article? A weapon not to build is the one on aqualabs (however I would like too)
His shoots 200 yards. Mine shoots 90 feet! It is designed to be a small WBL. Because of the it can't have a very large PC. It only gets 90 feet! Ive been shot plety of times. Point blank hurts, but no more than paintball (never aim for the eyes, im sure it could damage them).
I'm sure anything past 15-20 feet is fine. I invented the design for crying out loud! You could even lower the PSI to 100 or below for less power.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:49 am

Originally posted by BlueSmudge@Aug 19 2004, 07:25 AM
dude! Have your parents read my article? A weapon not to build is the one on aqualabs (however I would like too)
His shoots 200 yards. Mine shoots 90 feet! It is designed to be a small WBL. Because of the it can't have a very large PC. It only gets 90 feet!
Your dad is probably thinking about you using other projectiles than water balloons, in which case a WBL which only shoots 90 feet will be no more attrative to him than one which shoots 200 yards, since a stone in the head from 90 feet is still somewhat unpleasant, to say the least. <_<
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:28 pm

This topic should really be in the Tech department, since it doesn't deal with Soakers, strictly speaking.

Ah-movin'....

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:47 pm

Yeah, to tell you the truth, I have shot gravel with my WBL. To say the least, it isnt capable of shooting a stone 90 feet. Maybe 20? This thing isnt powerful. I Don't know how responsable you are, but most should be able to handle my design. If you arnt responsible you shouldnt be building this anyways.

P.S. I tried it at 80 PSI yesterday and only reached 38 feet of range. This proves 105+ PSI is needed for a WBL that exeeds a human ability to throw a water balloon. (Your not going to kill anyone)
BlueSoak.net

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:51 pm

Wait... you shot a balloon 38 ft with 80 psi? Or was it a stone?

Freakymist

Post by Freakymist » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:36 pm

Hey, that's funny. with my wbl I can shoot a tomatoe 315 feet with 80psi

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:39 pm

It was a balloon. Im trying to show you here, that my WBL isnt very powerful. I say again, anything below 100 just lobs the balloon so weak, it isnt even practical. Ask your dad if you can build it to show him thi, and if it is too powerful you can throw it away.
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:04 pm

Actually, BS's WBL design is very poor.

It's first problem is the valve selection. Never, ever, choose a ball valve unless you are extremely poor.

It's second problem is the barrel length. You choose a fast opening valve because by the time a slow one has opened completely it already has left the barrel. Because it's a small barrel, it doesn't even get close to the full potential of it.

Another problem you'd see if you fixed those problems is the PC size. To support a longer barrel you'll need a larger PC. I've read stuff from spud gun websites, and a WBL basically is a spud gun. You will want a good C:B (chamber:barrel) ratio.

So technically it is a very weak WBL design, but it still is just that, a WBL. I would build the AquaLabs design if I wanted to, but my concern with WBLs is that the balloons pop many times before leaving the barrel. I'd stick with normal water guns.

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:11 pm

Originally posted by Doom@Aug 22 2004, 01:04 PM
Another problem you'd see if you fixed those problems is the PC size. To support a longer barrel you'll need a larger PC. I've read stuff from spud gun websites, and a WBL basically is a spud gun. You will want a good C:B (chamber:barrel) ratio.

See that top half of My version of the AquaLab's WBL? That whole thing is the PC.

Oh yeah, about 2 out of 10 balloons that I shot popped when exiting the barrel with my WBL.
I don't check this forum anymore.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:14 am

Ive never had a balloon pop. I know my WBL is a poor design. I was just making the best of a already poorer design that I was going to put on my APH. Thats why its so compact. Give it a cool name, and some pics, suddenly it seems awesome. I would never use it, but a couple people have built it. I too recommend aqualabs.
BlueSoak.net

Cavendish Turkey

Post by Cavendish Turkey » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:52 pm

My first spud gun uses a ball valve and is made of sch 40 pipe, it can shoot a balloon 200 feet on only 55 psi :blink: It is only 4 feet long. just say to your parents that it doesn't just shoot wbls mine can shoot just water in a huge shotgun blast, but that can sting at close range too.

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:42 pm

http://www.balloonbazooka.com/product_details.html This looks good but overpriced. http://www.balloonbazooka.com/movies.html here's a link to the videos.