Wbl Problems

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
blaze

Post by blaze » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:13 am

OK so I just recently made my WBL. It uses a solenoid valve, and is what is shown on aqualabs.tripod.com. So anyways, it is hooked up to a button and 3 9V batteries. It has 3 batteries because my valve required 24 volts. I can hear things moving in it when I press the button, but it made the exact same sounds with 18 volts (2 batteries, less than required) and 9 volts. When I try and shoot, nothing happens, so I have to manually open the valve. However, when I do this it is not as fast as it could be, so I only get around 160 feet of range. The person on aqualabs says his can go from 100-200 YARDS. I need to know what is wrong with my valve, or with what I am doing.

My other problem is that the valve is incredibly loud. When I open it there is an extremely loud wailing noise. It made a baby who lives about 500 feet away from where I shot start to cry. I cannot launch it in a park (my parents won't take me anywhere) and I am not allowed to launch it here. I need a way to muffle the valve.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:54 pm

I wouldn't have got an electric valve and settled for the cheaper 3/4" Orbit Watermaster Inline Solenoid Sprinkler Valve you can get nearly anywhere. As you can see in this Nerf homemade it doesn't require batteries (saves money), is available nearly anywhere and still opens fast.

If you are settled on that valve, you might be able to put some foam or something around it. Not foam backer rod or caulk backing, that's too small, maybe something like foam insulation.

blaze

Post by blaze » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:56 pm

Hm...The only way I would be able to get that valve would either be to use PVC elbows and stuff, or bushings and hoping that there is a non-inline version. I need to know how this valve opens, because it looks like there are wires coming out of it...also, it looks like that valve is the exact sam thing that I bought, only an inline version.

King Soaker

Post by King Soaker » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:04 am

I think the problem is that 9V batteries have very low amperage output. In other words, they have high voltage, but a low amount of current. A solenoid requires quite a bit of current, because they are essentially an electro magnet.
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>The "S" stands for SUPER Soaker!

blaze

Post by blaze » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:36 am

Ahh but I did exactly what the aqualabs guy said and did (I have the same valve he does). Plus, it does open, but only a little bit. And if the buffer (styrofoam cup in my case) is too tight, the only way to go is manual. However, I would like to try to fix mine with what you're saying. What do you suggest I do?