Water Balloon Launchers

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
blueviper

Post by blueviper » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:23 pm

Originally posted by Soakologist@Jul 24 2004, 11:41 PM
Water Balloon Launchers (WBLs) simply aren't practical in the majority of water battles.
Before I point out why WBLs are often not useful, let me praise them.
I've used a WBL before (the one Pepper gave me broke, though), and I have been absolutely stunned at its capability. A home-made WBL is like nothing else I've ever used or seen before. They can shoot water several times farther than any water blaster, stock or modified. There is an intangible excitement that overcomes the user when he sees the balloon soar seemingly endlessly into the heavens, hang in midair, the plummet to the ground and explode like a weapon of mass destruction. In fact, I will go so far as to say that playing with a WBL is more fun than playing with conventional weapons in many instances. Yet though they are a sight to behold, they simply are not viable in water warfare.
For the sake of reading simplicity, let me make a list of raison d'être explaining why they are impractical:
1. Pumping. There is simply no convenient way to pump WBLs akin to commercial water blasters. Compressors, in addition to being deathly heavy, are expensive and can be damaged or even rendered useless when exposed to water. Bike and sport pumps will easily slip off the air jack and require more pumping than a Monster XL (upwards of seventy pumps) to achieve full pressurization.
2. Loading. Even when you’re not fighting, WBLs are a pain to load. The whole process of taking off pipes, buffering the balloon, making sure it doesn’t pop, and replacing the pipes is not only time consuming but also difficult. Getting the pieces all situated correctly requires patience, practice, and a little bit of strength in order to wedge that pipe in. Having to reload in battle would be aquatic suicide.
3. Unreliability. Water balloons have a tendency to either pop before leaving the barrel or get stuck and not leave the barrel at all. Finding the optimum pressure for firing water balloons successfully also requires a lot of practice out of fighting, and the slightest changes in balloons’ sizes, pipe angles, lengths, and even temperature can throw the entire pressure formula off.
4. Size/firing. These things run on par with the Monsters X and XL in terms of size. Maneuvering quickly with anything the size of either of those beasts is no picnic, but that in addition to the awkward and sometimes stubborn twist firing system and requiring of precision aiming (they’re literally a one-shot deal) makes a WBL the most difficult weapon to shoot accurately.

In summation, I think that WBLs are fascinating, entertaining, and ingenious inventions, but their practicality is jeopardized by their difficulty in pumping and loading, unreliability, their size, and their firing system’s flaws.

Perhaps one day, some crazy modifier out of Soakerdom will invent a small, self loading WBL with a hopper, trigger, and pump. Until then, save your WBLs for showing off to friends, barbeques, and precision sniping.

B)
gogo copy and paste!
Any other succesful WBL has a 3" barrel diameter. Mine is 2"

oh, and actually when me and aquatech(not isoaker) built the first few water balloon launchers, the barrels were 2".

Super Sonic

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:23 pm

Where could I find designes for BlueSmudges' WBL?
"Rejoice not over me my enemy, for when I fall, I shall in turn arise." Micah 7:8

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:22 pm

Go read my last post. WBLs aren't worth it in battle! You're wasting time and money!
Whatever music you listen to probably sucks.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:44 pm

Compressed Air WBL's aren't worth it. Sling-style WBL's are practical to use in battle. So maybe most of them can't shoot as far as a compressed air launcher, but a homemade sling-style launcher can still hit a target 100ft. away. Easily. They take up to 3 people to man, but are easy and quick to load and fire.
Plus, my friend's only weighs about a pound, if that. If you don't want to spend time/money making a launcher using compressed air, pick up one that slings a balloon instead.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:58 pm

Originally posted by Super Sonic@Aug 15 2004, 11:23 AM
Where could I find designes for BlueSmudges' WBL?
You don't want plans for that. It uses a ball valve and has a barrel that is way too short. Bad design. If you use a slow valve, like a ball valve, the only way to counter that is have a long barrel. I would make a normal WBL if I was making one (and I don't plan to).

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:20 pm

What would you suggest using instead of a ball valve then, Doom?
Whatever music you listen to probably sucks.