Great minds think alike

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
adronl

Re: Great minds think alike

Post by adronl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:44 pm

Off subject I actually build a CPH with a pressurized tank the advantage more power. The disadvantage you have to use really thick rubber because the 2 forces can cause the bladder to burst. Second the pressure gain is not very much and is not worth the high maintenance I did make it work but I wouldn't trust a long life out of the bladder. I just noticed a few topics other than my own where an idea may have been prematurely shot down. Like the Sniper gun idea that was kicked around but shot down. On a small enough scale built right with good materials (metal parts) it could possibly work (with enough pressure that is).

adronl

Post by adronl » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:17 am

Here changed the orientation a bit, happy :D now it's more dangerous there is a piece
missing right now and there will be several hose clamps to strap things up really solid.
The view is actually of the bottom of the gun so you can see how it works and this layout
solves a couple of problems other than not having the most efficient flow

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:50 pm

That looks like a solid build, but I do have a few concerns. One, what would happen when you attempt to remove the excess water that remained unpressurized. Two, can it be easily dissasembled to perform repairs and upgrades. And three, when are you going to convince Hasbro to start making these commercialy? :D
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:22 pm

The re-adjustment should definately help, though it does demand a bit more creativity on ergonomics. Perhaps it'd be a good idea to find a way to attach handles to the pipe? That's how many ergo-designs are done.

I don't think it will be easy to disassemble. That's one of the issues with piston/air homemades; the pipe has to be cut in order to access the piston. The first solution that comes to mind is to use a male adapter and make the part twist off, but the piston may not seal or even fit through that part. I can't think of any solutions for this right now, but a well-done piston shouldn't need maintenance for quite a while.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:28 pm

A coupling with threads on the outside of the PC pipe would work, as would a bolted flange type coupling. The latter are much more common on metal than PVC.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:00 am

What you need for easy dissasembling is a coupling in the middle to water half of the PC that doesn't restrict the piston's motion. It's got to wide enough for the piston to slide though after it is un-screwed.

But that brings up another point about homemades practicality-wise. Most are difficult to take apart and require cutting and ruining the homemade. This would be great to try to fix for all homemades and would be a good category for the contest.

adronl, you're homemade is awesome! :cool: How much water does it hold?
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

adronl

Post by adronl » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:58 am

Yeah one of the things about the piston inside it has a great seal and will never hit the end on the chamber that is problematic. Also it is very reinforced so there will be no distortion or warping of the piston over time. Basically it is extremely low maintenance the piston has enough grease between the 2 cups to keep it self greased for a long time.

The beauty of a well made homemade they are virtually maintenance free it may not be your first build but it can be done. As for taking it apart really there is no need to and really I wouldn't want to have a potential large pressure leak or have to mess with sealing those large threads. Last on that it adds onto the cost and weight of the final product.

There is more to come I do plan on putting a handle for ergonomics and a handle coming off the pump at a 90 and if possible a trigger for quick fire. I have all the straps in place and everything situated the way I want it I want it to be very functional.

Oh yeah how much water you mean in the gun or the backpack that attaches to it. Short answer 1/2 of a gallon in the gun and 5 gallon backpack, the backpack is just a 5 gallon water bag in a backpack with a hose connecting to the pump.
Last edited by adronl on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:03 pm

We should make that a component of the contest, then people would have to make a really great gun with amazing ergonomics. This is going to fit into my homemade, just have to work out the details. And if you could make your cannon easy to dissasemble, then it would be easier to transport, and probably a more useful battlefield tool.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

adronl

Post by adronl » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:09 am

Yeah you were saying the cannons should be more portable maybe disassembling to make it a more
useful battlefield weapon :D I would say this will just get the job done and the main body of the gun is only
27 inches

Last edited by adronl on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:11 am

Looks good adronl! If it only is 27 inches, it compares in size to a CPS 1500. That is very portable! :cool:

I think handles would be good to have, though, and I don't see them in the pictures. Have you put on a strap yet?
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

adronl

Post by adronl » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:59 am

I see that your eyes work today Juch :rolleyes: . Yeah handle has to be made I had to glue and strap the main parts together first. The handle has to accommodate existing parts and be made for best ergonomics & style. The handle comes in a couple of days I am going to make one custom that straps on solid. As for a sling or hanging strap I don't need one but I already have one that could be thrown on there. Another detail I already listed is that I am going to work on a trigger for firing from the handle instead of reaching out to use the ball valve (naturally).

So yeah pretty much what you were thinking I probably thought but not always usually I like to make things differently for the heck of it. In the case of this gun there were too many problems getting the gun strapped together, prevent pulling the pump too far, and the flow issue possible performance loss. It benefited me to change the design for a more direct flow and it is still quite compact and not too boring looking :) .

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:53 am

Maybe that cannon is the bridge between SC's and CPH's, because that way you can get great firepower with a smaller size. I am going to try and make my homemade shorter in length then 25 inches total, and probably not weighing more than 3-5 pounds.(If i don't get creative with lead bars.:rolleyes :)
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:07 pm

I think this is an interesting homemade. It certainly crosses the gap between smaller guns and the larger, performance water guns. I think SC2 was around 60 inches long overall; this things overall length looks to be around 40, which is a huge drop.

adronl, do you have any statistics for this? Any shot pictures? I'm curious to what kind of blast comes out of it. Could be huge!
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:18 am

zeda.beta wrote:Maybe that cannon is the bridge between SC's and CPH's, because that way you can get great firepower with a smaller size. I am going to try and make my homemade shorter in length then 25 inches total, and probably not weighing more than 3-5 pounds.(If i don't get creative with lead bars.:rolleyes :)
-Zeda
This makes no sense. The name CPH, APH, or even CAP all stand for what kind of pressure system the blaster uses. SCs were called Supercannons because they were large and powerful (cannonish). adronl's gun actually uses air pressure, so it could be considered an APH, even though it uses the same principle as a supercannon and will hopefully perform as well or better as SC2. So it is basically a small cannon that uses air pressure (and a piston). I can see your point in size, but not all CPHs can be small. JUCH1, the homemade I'm making this summer, plans to be fairly large, and it's going to use CPH tech. But it's going to be powerful, too.

Sorry adronl, I'll try to do better in my posting in the future. When I don't have anything important or necessary to say, I won't say it. :p
SPLASH! You're dead!

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:29 am

This makes no sense. The name CPH, APH, or even CAP all stand for what kind of pressure system the blaster uses. SCs were called Supercannons because they were large and powerful (cannonish).
I was beginning to think that the acronym SC would be used for all air pressure piston guns, just from its ubiquity, but maybe not. Most people seem to refer to air pressure piston guns simply as "works like SuperCannon 2." But it's probably best not to refer to all air pressure piston guns as Supercannons. It really should be left to just really, freakin' big water guns. The original Supercannon (the one from 2005) was just straight air pressure, but it was really big -- hence the name.
adronl's gun actually uses air pressure, so it could be considered an APH, even though it uses the same principle as a supercannon and will hopefully perform as well or better as SC2.
I think it will perform well, but I don't think it will perform better than SC2. SC2 used much larger pipes at the valve (has a larger internal diameter), so it would get a lot more flow, which is vital for range. This gun won't perform poorly; I think it would get at least 65 feet. But I highly doubt it will perform better.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.