Great minds think alike

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
adronl

Re: Great minds think alike

Post by adronl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Off subject I was just messing with you Juch I can tell you get bored sometimes and post your heart away on everything the site will allow you to post on.

Seriously what is the SC2 distance record? like 70-75' to the last drop. I am trying to find the brass hose barb to get the water supply connected I just moved recently and am having trouble finding all of my parts. Ill have to freshen up those blurry pictures like Drench said IDK if it will out perform the SC2 but ill have to find out soon.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:54 pm

On the instructions page, it says Ben's SCII got an 'effective range' of 73 feet with plain water, and 78 feet an additive (glycerin). He doesn't list the last drop range.

I think a Russian guy posted here a little while back, he'd made an SCII that broke 80 feet I think.

Five ways to push the range higher spring to mind:

Increase the pressure. Obviously, safety limits this, and anyway it may not help very much.
Make everything bigger. This makes it even more impractical though.
Use better additives in the water. Or even use completely different fluids altogether. But this might be considered not really valid. Shooting say canola oil a hundred feet wouldn't seem relevant to measuring the performance of a WATER gun.
Reduce the piston's resistance to motion. This may be a key thing I think. The piston will have some friction with the pipe, which will essentially sap some of the pressure, reducing power. I'm not sure how smoothly it moves - those who've actually built SCIIs will know.
Improve the nozzle. But I think SCII's is pretty good anyway.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

adronl

Post by adronl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:12 pm

I have built several piston guns of every size except 4" including a SC3 6". The piston moves very smoothly and fast in a well made SC or PG (Piston Gun). I was getting around 70ft with just a 3" gun before and this design incorporates a lot of improvements that the original SC2 design does not have on the internal parts. The potential amount of pressure that can be stored in this gun safely exceeds the SC2 and will be 40-50% more powerful than the previous 3" Piston Guns I have built.

The beauty of this gun is you can change the pressure stored and the nozzle for different battle conditions. Max it out for a devastating long range cannon blast. The medium would be less pressure and a 3/8 inch nozzle about the range of a good syringe gun or river gun. Then for the lower closer range of CPH APH and modded SuperSoakers a 1/8 inch nozzle. quite a large and accurate stream and is very safe but powerful.

So who knows I might just be surprised myself I have to go pick up another 1/2" male adapter the one I bought from home depot sucks too long and it is tapered grrr. I want to get it on there and start testing. I got a longer tape for making measuring easier. As for anyone curious about the SC3 I will show it off come summer.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Wow, the hand cannon sounds very practical for war situations! And if you add trigger configurations, after pressurizing, you could duel wield these on lower settings (the APH sized nozzle and pressure) and tap shoot with 50 feet of range.

Sounds like this cannon could easily acheive 70' of range and go higher with the new status. How much pressure can the Hand Cannon take?
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:54 am

How much pressure can that gun take? It seems like a liability to have, especially when it might blow up in your hand. But maybe you could add a prv for safety, or some kind of pressure gauge. Otherwise the design is great.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

adronl

Post by adronl » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:29 am

Well I did do some testing today and there was a minor problem that needs to be fixed. So I did get some test results the pressure is very impressive with the hand pump alone I maxed out my 120psi gauge actually going well over the 120. I need to add some teflon tape to some threads and put some silicone in the center of the piston and everything should be gold. Distance tests right now are pointless because of air getting through the center of the piston other than that the cups sealed perfect even with an air leak no water got by so that is promising.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:28 pm

Seriously what is the SC2 distance record? like 70-75' to the last drop.
On the instructions page, it says Ben's SCII got an 'effective range' of 73 feet with plain water, and 78 feet an additive (glycerin). He doesn't list the last drop range.

I think a Russian guy posted here a little while back, he'd made an SCII that broke 80 feet I think.
I was there when Ben shot it and measured the range. It was 73 feet to the end of the puddle. A lot of water shot past this puddle, but most collected into the puddle.

We took a photo of that shot for proof:

Ben and I measure range in the end puddle method. This method gets conservative ranges, but the range is an effective range. It's the maximum distance at which you can soak somebody.

Chekist built a Supercannon II in Russia. He got slightly more range than Ben, around 72 to 82 feet according to this video. His Supercannon II was larger and more robust. This Russian news report shows that his SuperCannon II was well over his head in length. That makes his about 8 feet long, while Ben's was about 5 feet long.
Last edited by Drenchenator on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

adronl

Post by adronl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:13 pm

Ok so I had a problem and and had to take the gun apart again. I had air forcing through the hole where the bolt holds the 2 sides of the piston together despite the rubber washers apparently I skipped the part where I was should have filled the piston with silicone. I have been not really thinking about water guns and all and taking my sweet time. I got it all back together on Sunday and did some tests so far so good.

Update: Early test results are in 1/8" nozzle 45', 3/8" nozzle 52' and 3/4" riot blast with only 12 pumps 60' . Again these are early test results I haven't even teflon taped the threads so I still got a couple of leaks making me loose a little pressure
Last edited by adronl on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.