Question about nozzle ratings

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
JuchTurtles

Question about nozzle ratings

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:18 am

What do the nozzle ratings (as in 3x, 5x, 10x, etc.) mean in size? Do they have a scale? I'm just wondering so I can figure out the size of nozzles I plan to drill.

EXAMPLE:

The size of a 10x blast = ( ) inches or ( ) milimeters
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Re: Question about nozzle ratings

Post by cantab » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:07 pm

1X is approximately 1 fluid ounce per second water output. (The output of the XP 70 I think.) However X ratings on some guns are somewhat off reality.

The relationship between output and nozzle diameter will be somewhat affected by stream speed on different guns, but should be a fairly good correlation. I can give you one data point - the nozzle diameter on both the CPS 1200 and 2100, both rated 5X, is 3/16 inch.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Re: Question about nozzle ratings

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:29 am

Thanks for the info. I guess I should just try different sizes and try to figure out what works best.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!