Stream Speed Standard

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:51 pm

Also, not sure how others measure their output, but the output numbers on iSoaker.com are based on the first ~1s timepoint.
I assumed that most sites only measured average output (chamber capacity divided by shot time), but I guess that since iSoaker does a more accurate assessment of the output when the gun is first fired. In the end, what you put into the equation is what you get out, so if you put in the average output, you get out the average velocity. And if you put in the output of the first second, you get out the average velocity over the first second, which should be so close to the real "muzzle" velocity that it should not matter.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:12 pm

You get the real "nozzle velocity" - which doesn't cover deceleration.

The method isoaker came up with factors in the deceleration over the shot's range. Both figures can be used. Perhaps the stream speed should be quoted as:

(nozzle velocity, stream deceleration [calculated from results of both experiments])

OR:

(nozzle velocity, average level velocity)

but I prefer the first, as the information is more practical.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston