Electrolysis...

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
CPS

Post by CPS » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:48 am

ELECTROLYSIS!

THAT IS NO A GOOD IDEA!
what is that supposed to mean?

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:06 am

well...actually electrolysis might work...but you either need to give it a teeny PC or hook it up to a wall outlet...actually I tried that once...it still produced hardly any hydrogen...not to mention hydrogen is flammable...I held a match over the part where the hydrogen collected for fun...it was cool....

EDIT:

[at]perilous-that last post sounded like you were trying to insult trekkie...he's a vet at water wars and it (electrolysis) was a good idea...just not very applicable...

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:08 am

I'll try the dry ice idea sometime - I live close to a place that sells it, and it's only about $0.60 a pound. I'll try it in a water balloon, water bottle (which will explode if the rumors are true), and then possibly a water gun. Do you think it would build up too much pressure if I just held the trigger open?
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:50 pm

Well, I tried the dry ice today in my XP215. It improved the shot time (up to 19 seconds w/o pumping), and seemed to improve range and power.

The dry ice would be fun for showing off, but its difficuly in storing, cold temperatures, and possible danger would prohibit its use in a full-fledged water fight.

blaze

Post by blaze » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:59 am

Originally posted by hunter@Apr 9 2005, 09:44 AM
someone could try dry ice....have a thing you pull that puts dry ice in the chamber...as far as I know when dry ice comes into contact with water...it expands rapidly...
[snapback]23624[/snapback]

Hehe once my neighbor put dry ice and water in a 2 liter bottle and put it on the ground and put a trash can above it. We duct taped the can down, and 30 mins later, the thing exploded. It broke the trash can and sent it up 10 feet in the air.

Perfectly safe...

Maybe a small chunk would work.

Oh yeah and the xp215 is a novelty gun, actully using it in a fight with your friends is dumb. They will have guns like 10 times its size, and will laugh at you when you're all wet.

CPS

Post by CPS » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:19 am

hey, aren't you supposed to be banned or something?

blaze

Post by blaze » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:34 pm

Well it seems Doom has given me the account back, and since I really didn't care much whether he did or not, I'm fine with it.

How does everyone here know?

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:05 pm

True, it's a novelty gun, but its relative simple layout makes it very good for testing out new ideas.

soakup

Post by soakup » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:52 pm

I have this one science experiment book from second grade that teaches how to take a handkerchief and a glass with water inside and make bubbles pop up on the inside and form a vacumm pump but I forgot the trick and lost the book.
sponge+James Collins+ water=soakup

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:23 pm

Hey blaze, nice to see you back. I pretty much agree with Doom, the idea is very impractical. It would take a lot away from mobility and would be very hard to work. I'm also not so sure of the safety factor. Although, if you really want to try it nobody's stopping you (except maybe your parents ^_^ ).
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:48 pm

An ice cube-sized chunk of dry ice is enough to blow up a 2 liter after enough time. You'd have to find a perfect balance between pressurization and safety. Even so, it would only work with pressurized reservoir guns, severely limiting its usefulness.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:42 pm

Unless you've frozen the check valve to your PR gun, it should be safe to use. It's designed to prevent overpressurization, right? The worst that happened when I tried it in my 215 was that it overloaded the trigger valve and it began to spray through the nozzle.

It is very impractical in the battlefield. You cannot control how much pressure is produced, and it is very easy for it to begin leaking through the nozzle. Still, for trick shooting, it is nead having a XP215 that has about the same range as a MD3K.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:13 am

Still, for trick shooting, it is nead having a XP215 that has about the same range as a MD3K.
There isn't much of a difference in range of those 2 guns. Also, why would you be using an XP 215 in a battle anyway? There are many other pistol class guns that would be better choices. I wouldn't use the dry ice, it must be a great feeling knowing that the gun you are holding could potentially blow any second. :Hey, that's funny.:
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:56 am

Meh, it feels a lot safer considering the check valve. It's safer than some of my friends' science experiment.

"Common Household Chemicals as Rocket Fuel"

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:26 pm

I really can't believe I haven't seen this topic before. Firstly electrolysis wouldn't work. Sure it would change the water into it's component atoms, but the increase in pressure would be incredibly small, and you would have less water.

As for pressure without pumping, If you could use spring power, you could build up constant pressure without pressure. Although having a way of pulling the spring back might be difficult because you would still need the PC to hold pressure (duh).

And I would suggest no-one tried to pressurise guns using explosive (the SS semtex series (hur hur)). But you could use Bicarbonate of soda and vinegar to pressurise. They expand when they mix.
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes