Friction

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:30 pm

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/18_404.html

Interesting read here. I decided to search for something like this after finally reading some posts at iScF, some idea about teflon coating to reduce friction. The page shows how many feet you'll lose per 100 feet of plastic pipe (works for PVC) based upon the output of the pipe and the size of the pipe. I did some pretty rough calculations based upon my APH on a setting that lasts 4 seconds, and that's about 6 gallons per minute in output. That means I lose 8.83 feet for every 100 feet of pipe. I then divided the 52 foot range I get about from that nozzle by 100 (actually I skipped this because I knew it would be .52) and then multiplied it by the number the table gave me to get 4.5916 feet lost. That's not including drag btw. The larger the pipe the less friction it looks like too, must be because there is more room for the water where it's not touching the side. Another plus from larger ID pipes I guess!

[edit]

A few other charts I'll link to below.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/flowchart.html
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fus ... il/ttid/54

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:33 pm

Teflon coating was actually my idea.
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:07 pm

can you actually BUY teflon to coat the inside of the pipe with?
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:04 pm

It was determined that it wouldn't be effective enough to be worth the price. I think it would wash off eventually too. Maybe someone could try some of that teflon surface protecter XPBackfire-esque in one of their soakers if they have one they don't feel like using. Just coat everything in and after the trigger valve I guess.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:10 pm

While you are building the homemade you could coat all the internal pipes with pipe dope.(thats a gooey form of teflon that has the same purpose as teflon tape. )
The only problem is; for awile, all the extra stuff that didn't stick would try to shoot out, and may clog up smaller nozzles.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:19 pm

That's what I was thinking too, I don't think coating pipes in something will get less friction. I personally wouldn't care much about friction, but if you did, then make a gun out of brass or something. That should have much less friction.

All I would do is use larger ID pipes to get less friction personally.