Additives

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
SSCBen

Additives

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:29 pm

After remembering something from WWN I finally picked some up, Glycerin (Glycerine in the UK). This stuff is expensive, more than $3 for a bottle. For those of you thinking "What the Hasbro HQ does this do," it is supposed to increase your range 5 to 10 feet at his amount, claimed by Big Bee. You are supposed to mix it 19 parts water and 1 part glycerin (5% Glycerin). One bottle, which actually is for skin care and making beer, should be good for about 2.36 liters of water. I am unsure about how this will affect a CPS sytem, I will test it on some of my CPS tubing and see if it reacts.

This stuff will make your water toxic! Do not drink it, and contact poison control ASAP if anything happens.

This really is mostly a test that I am recording online. I am still yet to test it, but if it works them I might use it. Currently I think it is too expensive and should only be used for snipers who need all the range they can get. With a good APH I think you could get easily more than 60 feet range, likely close to 70. With a gun designed purely for sniping I think that more than 70 feet could be easily achieved.

I also will be finding other "additives" and testing them. I also will test if using more than 5% will increase range. Wetting agents is what I think they are called, I hope I can find something cheaper and that comes in larger amounts.

Storm

Post by Storm » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:51 pm

Wow, this seems pretty cool, dangerous, but cool. I hope you find some that is less dangerous. I wouldn't mind paying for stuff like this if I had a big war.
Storm

ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:13 pm

is this glycerine like the explosive nitro glycerine by any chance :) . that would be soooo funny if it was. it would be like that one scene in zoolander where the male models spray themselves with gasoline at a gas stop and they frolic and play. then one of them lights a cigarette. ben stiller goes "nooooooooo" then, BOOM!
http://xs7.xs.to/pics/04512/sig2.jpg
-whoamg, I can't put ANY anime girl in my sig without doom deleting it. =\

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:02 pm

Now I have tested and I must say, this stuff is sniper juice!

I used 30 ml of this stuff, and a bit less than 600 ml of water, trying to get close to 570 ml but I'm not perfect. I mixed it afterwards, and kept mixing it just in case it settled. I then used 600 ml of water to compare it too. Using my single chamber APH with a 3/16" nozzle at 14 pumps on both of them, I shot the normal water and the glycerin water.

The improvement between normal water and glycerin water was incredible. The glycerin water shot 10 feet 7 inches more to the last large spot, and 9 feet 3 inches more to the last drop.

Normal range was 38 feet flat to the last large spot and 42 feet 3 inches to the last drop. Glycerine water range was 48 feet 7 inches to the last large spot and 51 feet 6 inches to the last drop. There was no change in shot time, so the output was the same.

Two pictures below, I suggest some of you try this if you say you are a sniper. However, wait for me to make sure it's CPS safe if you are using a CPS gun.

http://www.sscentral.net/images/glycerin/DSCN0230.JPG
http://www.sscentral.net/images/glycerin/DSCN0235.JPG

revengeofline

Post by revengeofline » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:50 am

The glycerin does sound cool, but I'd probably worry if I used it. I mean, what if you shot is at someone out of, say, a CPS 2000? The range must be incredible! It would definitely be cool, but I agree with Storm, using glycerin could be dangerous. If someone accidentally ingested it during a water fight, then the fight would stop being cool and start to not be fun. By the way, what does exactly does glycerin have to do with increasing the range of a water gun? :huh:

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:38 am

I don't know, but you can use it to clean your teeth or gums, or something. As long as you Don't swallow it. I think it must somehow increase stream cohesion. Thats the only way to increase range without increasing outpoot.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------

Storm

Post by Storm » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:11 pm

Doom, is there any safer additives?
Storm

blaze

Post by blaze » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:38 pm

Wow! If I added that to my APH I could get at least 60 feet of range! And I could get the same range if I added that to my 21000! That range will beat the XPBackfire-esque out of any stock gun! And the shot time is the same thats even awesomer! Whoa I can't wait to test this XPBackfire-esque out!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:35 pm

Yeah, same here. That was the range on a 3/16" nozzle with 14 pumps. Imagine if I did this on my dual chamber on a 3/8" nozzle with 55-65 pumps... 60 foot range easy, probably closer to 70.

I am not sure about other things. I am still researching this and I'm going to at least try to find something safer and better. My biggest problem with this stuff is that it's expensive, $3 a bottle, and a bottle is only 118 ml. I am hoping to be able to buy this stuff in bulk.

I could explain how this stuff works, but it would be too complicated for most. Just accept that it does work. ^_^

I am wondering if I add more than 5% if it will increase range even more. If 5% increases range 8 feet, then 10% would increase it by 16 feet? It probably isn't like that but I bet more would increase range even more. I wonder how far it would shoot a PC full of pure glycerin...

asdffdsa

Post by asdffdsa » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:56 am

try

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... lectronics

they sell another wetting agent... shd work like glycerine

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:13 pm

[at]doom : yeah then you fire 80% glycerine and it goes 128feet further...
It might be just that it increases stream lamination (I.e. the water stays together for longer)
Do you think it'd work with an XPSed blaster (I.e. my 310 with fanspray) because that'd just be awesome!

Oh yeah Doom, if you fired a chamber of pure glycerine it would just stick up around the chamber walls and wreck your blaster (at least more likely than not), so I wouldn't try that...
Visit <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Sam's Supercars

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color :o range'><span style='font-family:Arial'><u>My Weaponry</u>
CPS2100 (Thank You King Soaker&#33 ;)
1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000
1 XP310 w/my own power mod and 8 balloon XPS mod
2 piston-pistols (backup)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:59 pm

The stuff isn't sticky. I don't think it will gum up anything. It doesn't increase stream lamination directly, rather it increases the viscosity of the liquid which basically means it sticks better together. Stream lamination is not when the stream stays together, it actually means linear flow, but let's not get technical.

http://www.sscentral.net/tech/streams.php

This article I posted a while ago but haven't release officially. Believe me, I know more about soaker tech than 99% of everyone.

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:40 pm

Then a chamber of glycerine might work...

I took my XP310 apart AGAIN today, removed the res, it was useless anyhow, and noticed that there is nothing forcing water to go into the chambers, the pipe going from the res to the chambers is merely cut open at the point where the chambers tap into it, the chambers don't actually block the pipe in any way.
The water only goes into the chambers because since the nozzle is closed by the trigger mechanism, it has nowhere else to go. So the glycerine would, if it isn't sticky, run from the res, along to the nozzle and the be pushed back into the chambers. What I'm getting at here (Yes, there is a point to this&#33 ;) is that if the pure glycerine moves from the res at all, it should fire OK.
In my XP310 at least, yes a chamber of glycerine would fire.

How much further d'you think a full chamber of glycerine would fire? Thinking about it , err... if 5% goes 8 feet further, then 100% , pure, glycerine would go 160 feet further technically... Although the chances of that happening practically are pretty small. Probably the best range would be acheived by going 50-50, one part glycerine and one part water. Try out different combos.
Visit <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Sam's Supercars

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color :o range'><span style='font-family:Arial'><u>My Weaponry</u>
CPS2100 (Thank You King Soaker&#33 ;)
1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000
1 XP310 w/my own power mod and 8 balloon XPS mod
2 piston-pistols (backup)

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:14 pm

Originally posted by Dark Elite@Jul 23 2004, 08:40 PM
Thinking about it , err... if 5% goes 8 feet further, then 100% , pure, glycerine would go 160 feet further technically...
The distance will almost certainly not be linear. Possibly a graph based on y=x^0.5 (is there a square root symbol?)?
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:39 pm

I don't think it's on the keyboard. I'll study it and try to figure out what kind of graph it follows when I get more time. I bet it does follow a fractional exponent type thing, that would make sense.