How to Shoot Gunge???

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
mr jd

How to Shoot Gunge???

Post by mr jd » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:31 pm

dear all

i trust you are all well.

bit of a weird question, but has anyone tried, instead of water, to use gunge (you know, the coloured stuff favoured by kiddies tv programmes to pour over each other and poor unfortunates - Natrosol is the formal name) ?

because of its viscosity, i guess maybe an electric pump. i have tried various knapsack type sprayers and they do not produce enough pressure.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

mrjd

cantab

Re: How to Shoot Gunge???

Post by cantab » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:05 pm

I suspect the issue with knapsack sprayers isn't pressure but rather very narrow tubing and valves, that get clogged more easily. You'll probably need quite fat tubing, valves, and nozzles to shoot gunge effectively.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:52 pm

APH! The problem may be cost. The founder of this site adds glycerin to his water to increase ranges.

Wecome to SSC!
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:51 am

Hmm, the viscosity is a good point to start with.

As it seems this is the american equivalent of slime, which is a non-newtonian fluid with an extremely high viscosity compared to the water we are used to shooting, it might be a huge challenge to secure parts large enough and pressure high enough to overcome that.

All in all, can't wait to see how you plan to use it.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

superpants

Post by superpants » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:35 pm

I have had some experience with this sort of thing....

Firstly, whilst you will be able to get gunge to shoot, you won't reallistically be able to shoot anywhere as far as you will with water. As others have said this is primarily down to the viscosity, which will be massively higher than water. You will therefore need larger bore pipes and higher pressures. Electrical diaphragm or centrifugal pumps are highly unlikely to be able to provide sufficient pressure.

Most materials used to make gunge are not newtonian in behaviour- their viscosity is dependent on the shear rate. The good news is that the most common materials (natrosol, xanthan and guar) are shear thinning, meaning the viscosity reduces as it they are sheared (mixed/ or made to flow).

My recommendation would be to use a pistol that has a simple direct acting pistol pump and drill out the nozzle to a larger size. You could use a pressure sprayer modified with larger bore pipe, but this won't be very effective. I have used this arrangement to enable baloons to be filled with gunge effectively.

Other thing to think about include making sure the gunge is very thoroughly mixed- any lumps at all are likely to block the pistol. You might also want to ensure that the colouring used is fairly concentrated to give the best visual effect (i'd use 3-5% of powder paint.

Hope this helps!