APH Concept

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
SEAL

Re: APH Concept

Post by SEAL » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi. Sorry for delay, but some A-hole planted a virus in my computer, and it took us a while to wipe it out.

I added a strap, and made a new improved nozzle.

First off, here's the blaster with the strap attached. I know what you're thinking, it looks too small doesn't it? It is rather snug, but it suits me just fine.

I took the front off so I could try and lubricate the valve from both ends and do some other things with it.
Here's one of the things I did. It actually turns pretty smooth now, but not enough to add a trigger though.

This is why I can't loosen the screw.

Here is the modification I made to the nozzle. I found a short metal tube thing(I forgot what it was called.) that mushrooms out on one end, drilled out the smallest nozzle, and squeezed it into the hole.
Picture:

The effect was great! It now gets around twice the range of the original nozzle, and the stream has better lamination too!
I didn't do any tests on it, nor did I get any shot pics, 'cause my brothers were acting immature and stupid at the time, and I didn't want to ask them for help. I think it got around 40 or so feet. It shot about as far as our Vanquisher and Equalizer. The nozzle is bigger then my 1/4 nozzle though. (I forgot exactly what size it was.) I hope to find a smaller tube thing for my 1/4 inch nozzle. It got plenty of shot time, but it only shoots 40 feet for about half a second before the stream drops off.

Here is a picture of the whole thing as of now.
I may or may not add a trigger. I'm gonna go to Home Depot tomorrow and look for the valve lubricant again. If I can't find any, or if it doesn't work that well, then I'll go to plan B.

That's all for now! I'm very happy with the new results.

~SEAL
Captain of the Catskill Mountain S.E.A.L.s (Soaker Elite Assault Legion.)

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:25 am

Great to hear it, and thanks for the update. It looks like you're getting all you can out of this water gun! :)

I agree that a smaller nozzle would save water and maybe even increase the range some more. At any rate, I'm definitely waiting for the shot pics.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:19 pm

UPDATE: Range stats and new nozzle.

Sorry about lack of updates. I've been shamefully lazy these past few days.

I changed my 1/4 inch nozzle. By the way the thing I used is called an eyelet.(Not sure of the spelling.) I believe It's used for crimping electrical wires. So anyway, I found one that was exactly 1/4". Excellent. I pushed it through the hole and, with the help of some glue, got it so it was nice and secure. I have a picture, but my mom is using the camera right now, so I'll post it later when I post shot pics.

New range stats:
1/4" nozzle: 51 feet.
Bigger nozzle(I can't remember the size.): 47 feet.
Riot blast: Still the same, 25 and a half feet.

Can you spell success? This blaster is now the power champ. Bypassing our CPS 2700 which was the former champ at 43 feet. I feel like partying right now! :D

I will honestly try to get output, shot time, and soakage tests, and shot pics ether later today, or tomorrow afternoon.

Once again, I'm sorry for making all of you wait.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:58 pm

UPDATE: Okay, I finally got shot pics and stats. I had a baseball camp on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, it was raining Thursday, and I went to the gym yesterday.
It was a long wait, but I have a ton of pictures to make up for it.

First of all, here is the equipment I used to measure output. I couldn't shoot directly into the measuring cup, because the water would just splash out. So I fired into a rabbit drinking bottle, and then poured it into the measuring cup.
Picture:

Let's start with the 1/4 inch nozzle.
Here is a picture of the 1/4" nozzle on the gun next to the original modified nozzle.

As I told you before, the range on this nozzle is about 51 feet.
The output is 1 cup in 1 second.
Picture: (The cup is on a bit of a sloped surface.)

The shot time is 8 seconds.
Here is a shot pic of the 1/4" nozzle.

And the soakage is 15 inches in diameter.
Here's a pic.

Now for the bigger nozzle. I forgot the size, but it used to be the 1/8" nozzle. This was the first one I modified.
The range on this is 49 feet.
The output is 3 cups in 1 second.
Here is an output pic.

The shot time is 5 seconds.
Here is a shot pic.

The soakage is 19 inches in diameter.
Picture:

And last but not least, the riot blast.
The range, as you may know, is 25 and a half feet.
The output is a whopping 4 cups in 1 second. It may be more though. The rabbit bottle that I used overflowed when I was shooting into it before 1 sec. It filled up the cup to just below 4 cups, so I figured it's around 4 cups.
Here is a pic of the cup.

The shot time is only about 2 and a half seconds.
Here is a shot pic. I already got a shot pic of it, but here's another one.

The soakage is 27 inches in diameter.
Here is a picture.

Here is one final picture of the blaster with a CPS 2700 next to it for comparison. Huge, isn't it?

Here are the new pros and cons.

PROS:
Better range then almost every stock soaker except possibly the CPS 2000.
Rather intimidating.
It's good for my first blaster.

CONS:
Kind of heavy and very bulky.
No trigger due to stiff ball valve. (But I may add a lever, SS300 style.)
Hard on your arms after a while.
Takes a substantial amount of pumps for full pressure.

Well, that's that. I'm pretty much done with this blaster. I might add a handle to the valve to make it easier to turn.

So long for now!
~SEAL

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:42 am

Thanks for the pictures! Don't worry about not posting...I don't think anyone's complaining. :p

Most homemade water guns aren't too portable but they sure can intimidate. I'm glad to hear you fixed the range problems.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:43 pm

Yeah, For some reason, it often makes me feel guilty when I don't post pictures when I said I would. But I've seen some people who don't post pictures for months, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Oh well, you're looking at the final version I suppose. I won't add a handle on the ball valve unless something comes up, like a big war or something. I'm gonna call it SEAL H1. That stands for Soaker Elite Assault Legion (The name of my team.) Homemade No. 1. That's what I'll be calling all my homemade blasters.
I already have a plan for my next blaster. I just lack the parts.
Here's a hint: It's not going to be the CPH that I talked about, I'm not building that until winter. No, this will just be something to do in between. The concept drawing is on the way...
Last edited by SEAL on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:23 am

I guess I might as well make a parts list.

1/2":
2, Pipe sections. (You probably only need one though.)
2, Threaded endcaps.
7, Male adapters.
1, Ball valve.
3, Female adapters.
2, Check valves.
1, Union.
1, Elbow.
1, Tee.
1, Thread X Slip elbow.

3/4":
2, Pipe sections. (But you definitely only need one.)
1, Coupler.
3, Tees.
2, Male adapters.

1":
1, Very short section of pipe. (For the reservoir to clamp onto. I actually used the gray pipe meant for electrical wires.)
1, Coupler.

3":
1, Section of pipe. (I just found some around the house.)
2, Endcaps.

Bushings, reducers and two size fittings:
1, 1/2" X 3/4" bushing.
1, 1/2" X 1" bushing.
2, 3/4" X 2" bushings.
2, 2" X 3" reducers.
1, 1" X 3/4" tee.

Miscellaneous parts:
1, 1 gallon water jug.
1, Bike pump with about a 1/2" diameter.
2, Different sized eylets. (Eyelets are used for crimping electrical wires.)
1, Rubber strap. (I think it's from a bike tire.)
2, Twist ties. (I need a better solution.)
1, Styrofoam pipe insulator. (I think that's what it is.)
1, Roll of electrical tape.
1, Hose clamp.
1, Roll of teflon tape.

These are all the parts of my blaster. I did not list the tools I used. Tell me if you think I forgot something. One thing I didn't add is the long screw and few nuts that I used to modify the pump handle.
Last edited by SEAL on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killi101

Post by Killi101 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:14 pm

well, what i would do is decreace the size of the pcs, yes you need output but still it will be easier to pressurise, also you have made the blaster too tall, that is another problem, which is why it is bulky. nice ranges though. and a great first blaster
Water:
dont like drinking much
like to throw it at people

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:39 pm

Well I wanted a lot of power. But you have a point, the whole thing is way oversized. My main goal for my CPH will be downsizing.