Simplest WBL

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
C-A_99

Re: Simplest WBL

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:55 pm

I got about the same range with a similar design, using an elastic band, a 1 1/4 x ~1.5' PVC tube, and with a 3"x2' tube as the barrel. Either way, it doesn't work very well and anyone can throw a balloon farther than that. I don't have pictures because I disassembled it long ago since it was never useful nor noteworthy. These designs really serve no further value than as just-for-fun projects; it will be pretty difficult to build one that's even remotely useful for water wars. Has anyone noticed just how far the 3-man launchers have to stretch? You need a LOT of power for a good elastic launcher.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:42 am

C-A_99 wrote:The Havoc requires elbows, so how is it simpler than the Douchenator?
Doesn't the Douchenator use a solonoid sprinkler valve?

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:08 am

If you read the instructions on there, you can use any valve you want. Modified sprinkler valves are the best way to go though; they cost more and it takes work to modify them (they are not necessarily harder than ball valve launchers because for ball valves you need a torque arm unless you get a metal valve, but metal valves' torque arm's aren't that good and the valves are expensive enough that you might as well just get a sprinkler valve)

The advantages of a modified sprinkler valve over a ball valve with performance and ease of use is comparable to the advantage of having CPS chambers instead of piston powered blasters. Modified sprinkler valves are so much easier to fire that shooters will be much more accurate, and their performance is much better.

While the simplest WBL may be easiest to build, I think it's well worth it to add a modified sprinkler valve and some elbows to make the design more compact. Over-under designs have long been chosen since it can shorten the launcher by as much as 2'.