Range measurement

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
tgoacher

Range measurement

Post by tgoacher » Tue May 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Is there an agreed way to measure range. I'd guess that it would be the distance from nozzle to landing point across a flat surface, with the nozzle at the angle of your choice. Obviously range could be qutoed as something insane if there was a significant difference in height between the nozzle and landing point.

zeda.beta

Re: Range measurement

Post by zeda.beta » Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 pm

You measure range from the tip of the gun to the major part of the puddle.

There are generally two things that you care about in range:

The effective soaking range level

and the effective soaking range at an angle.

You want to find those two distances, and for the angle you should pick the angle that gives you the greatest range.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed May 19, 2010 12:52 am

You can also measure it by the furthest drop.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:29 am

You have to have a standard on how high the tip of the nozzle is above ground, and obviously, that nozzle must be exactly at the beginning of the range. I go with 2ft or 3ft; 3ft is better to accommodate larger blasters but could be harder to hold still. Without a standard nozzle height, you will get varying ranges as you grow taller (or if you grow old and shrink). Others will get different ranges too.

As Zeda mentioned, there are two tests done: one at exactly 0 degrees and one at exactly 45. You don't have to be exact, but sometime in the shooting, the stream should definitely reach exactly 45 degrees. Just don't move it around more than 1 or 2 degrees and keep it steady.

Next, there should be two puddles; one for the level shot and one for the 45. There are two numbers to each; one is the middle of the puddle. This one isn't too exact but try your best to get a good median. The last is as martianshark said; the last drop. Get these numbers for both the level and 45 shot and you have a complete set of range data.

Obviously, there are weather factors to be aware of, unless you somehow manage to get the range test done in a warehouse or gym or something. Aside from making sure the wind is steady, you should be sure you're aiming as straight as possible downrange. The measuring tape should be lined up well before taking a number or marking one on the sidewalk.

This isn't rocket science; you don't have to be exact, but when you're stretching your arm out while firing one blaster and going prone to fire the next, don't be surprised if the results don't tell you crap about which gun has the longer max. distance.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed May 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Yeah, range is normally measured on level ground, with either level or angled firing. Level firing range will be much more dependent on nozzle height than angled firing range - for angled firing it should only make a foot or two difference.

Height advantage range could be measured also. Due to atmospheric drag it will approach a limit. With a significant height advantage best range is had by firing level. I'm not sure how high you'd need to be - second (UK numbering, US third) floor would probably suffice for smaller blasters but you might need something taller for the big CPSes. However, it's dubious how relevant such a range is - if you are firing from a building then no matter what your range the opponent can still normally retreat to beyond it, while you don't need to worry much about being shot back.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

tgoacher

Post by tgoacher » Thu May 20, 2010 8:27 am

I've decided to go with C-A_99's statement of the nozzle at 3ft above a level surface. I'm doing some range tests at the moment and so have cut a 3ft plank to allow me to rest the nozzle on so I can get repeatable results.

I know I'm going on about this but could we have introduce a standard way to identify the measurement type.
e.g.
Range: 30ft (Hor) 40ft (Angled)

I don't think a statement of the angle is all that important as all that matters is the angle which gives you the maximum range on a flat surface.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu May 20, 2010 4:38 pm

People would usually quote them as two separate figures, e.g.

Level Range: 25 feet
Angled Range: 37 feet

(You could say "Range Level" and "Range Angled" if you prefer).

The angle for the angled measurement is indeed unimportant - it is taken to be the angle that produces maximum range. This is often wrongly assumed to be 45 degrees - in fact it will be less, due to the effects of drag on the stream. It is, however, often very close.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

tgoacher

Post by tgoacher » Thu May 20, 2010 9:49 pm

ok, distances will now be quoted by me as RL and RA

I was planning to do some range tests this weekend with different nozzle designs but got surrounded by my son et al armed to the teeth with water guns when I got home from work tonight. As my gun is incomplete, I've switched my attentions to a making a backpack harness so I can defend myself this weekend.

The other problem of course is that as soon as I start testing the little sods surround me...