Supercannon for high school water wars competition.

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
cantab

Re: Supercannon for high school water wars competition.

Post by cantab » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Based on the new info on the scoring, I advise lurking as early as possible. Get them before they get you.

Sprinklers need not be indoor ones. Rig your lawn with a good coverage, preferably somewhat concealed units (not great big things your attackers will give a wide berth), and operable from indoors.

And it's been mentioned already, but be paranoid. The majority of times I was killed in Assassins it was due to insufficient paranoia. It gets annoying after a while - but when I played there wasn't 2500 dollars at stake.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Yeah, needless to say, you could raise quite a water warrior army with a prize that big though one would be much more likely to spend it on college or a computer.

I'd also back up Cantab's suggestion to lurk, but don't miss any good chances if they happen to come up. Given that you don't have anything to worry about (except if someone sneaks into your garage, if that's legal) when going back and forth to school, you may not see much action until having to deal with the few who are left after they've eliminated each other.

After you've waited long enough (either to the point you can't stand it anymore, or when you decide there are few enough players left in the game to take risks), try to implement the camping strategy you mentioned. Never stay in sight of the targets because they will see you too; find a place you think they'll go to and hide there. You may be able to take out two people this way at one time, but if theres three or four, you may want extra waterpower. Either dual wield (though a larger blaster is always better than dual wielding) or get a partner to help. Blasters with riot blasts are perfect for groups of targets who stick too closely together. (if you're interested in those, look for the Flash Flood, or better yet find a CPS with many nozzles and pick one to convert; I'd use a reliable 4100 with the typhoon nozzle removed which gives a nice riot blast but not as powerful as the FF, also beware that after firing a riot blast you'll be very vulnerable so have another soaker ready)

Generally, it would seem that keeping the team together would be a good idea. However, if something goes wrong the entire team risks being eliminated. Perhaps it is better to plan individual operations as a team, then go out alone and hidden. Carrying a CPS gives you the best chances of a successful ambush, but people may spot you before you get into a good position, so it may be up to you to decide for each operation whether to go with a high range CPS or a medium sized but concealable air pressure blaster.

Also, be sure to use the "lurking time" (the time before moving to the offensive) to get familiar with cars, license plates, etc. as mentioned earlier.

The reason I push for the lurking strategy myself is because it always works the best in any elimination game with more than two teams. Most people I know play Super Smash Bros. by stock (lives) and avoiding combat works well in there. In free-for-all elimination water wars, the same strategy is also effective.

Now I'm fairly interested in trying out an assassins game myself. Unfortunately, none are around and I'm too busy with school.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:09 pm

That gives me another idea: stay split up so that you can't be all eluminated by a riot blast.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Are you allowed to use shields? Because if you are, I would suggest that each of your team members carry a transparent umbrella, so that you can see where the person is.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:40 am

Sounds Insane. I haven't posted in a while, but I will now.

You need a CPS, even if its just for intimidation. The 2500 is the best; you can drench or conserve with it. And you also get about 50 feet of range. Just take it with you on one of your guys back. And you don't even have to use it that much even though I suggest using it. It's awesome and you should try to get one if you can.

Good guns for my purpose:
Monster XL
Monster X
Monster
CPS 4100
CPS 2500
CPS 2000
CPS 3000/3200
CPS 1500

These are the largest and most intimidating CPSes. One of these would help a lot, even though they cost a lot now. I think the cheapest you could get one is $65 if you're lucky. If you can, go to yardsales to look. Oh, and also, when does the Assassin's game start?
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Oh yeah, height can be useful to an extent. On uneven terrain, try and occupy the high ground. Upper floors of buildings are good for 'sniping', allowing you greater range and less risk for yourself. But if your initial ambush misses, your opponents can simply retreat and you can't pursue them. If the building has entrances you can't cover, watch your back in case they enter. Climbing trees is not advised (I've tried it, it doesn't work).
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:42 pm

"Intimidation" will only make your targets run away when you try to ambush them; instead, only use the intimidation factor to scare off targets if they're getting too close. Throwing a water balloon is enough to get them to retreat but if it bursts before being thrown and if someone notices it, they can claim a false hit.

I think we've might have tried to pack too many "tips" at him. Not staying packed together to avoid riot blasts is pretty much common sense and there wasn't real need to mention it, and owning every single top of the line CPS is completely unecessary for an assassins game. Some of these random "tips" are useless without completely knowing the situation and ultimately it'll be up to him to decide when to attack, lurk, what guns to use, etc. since only he knows what's going on. (basically I think we've nearly exhausted what we can help him with and only a few tips would be of real use)

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:26 pm

zeda.beta wrote:Are you allowed to use shields? Because if you are, I would suggest that each of your team members carry a transparent umbrella, so that you can see where the person is.
-Zeda
You could also build a homemade umbrella gun like the one we're discussing in this thread.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:50 pm

He's playing assassins, meaning he has absolutely zero use for any type of shield or shield blaster. Unless you deliberately start an engagement where you have to fight the targets, there is no use for them. But then during a fight, if the enemy is smart they can just use a high range blaster or retreat so if you use shields, you'd better be able to run damn fast. The whole point of assassins is to avoid fights and take targets out cleanly and quietly which is evident if one thinks about the game at all or reads the thread.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Actually shields are good in assassins, since usually if you do get in a duel, it's more important to not die than to kill.
They got banned from the Cambridge rules because they 'changed the game from one of sneaking around to one of protracted firefights in the streets'. I don't think they'd have been banned if they weren't useful.
Of course details of rules matter, in particular whether splashing off the shield counts as a kill - in Cambridge rules projectile and water blaster hits have to be direct, if the opponent hits the wall and some water splashes on you that's not a kill.
Arsenal:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:39 pm

You could just fire an arced shot at the shield user so he has to point upwards to block it, then shoot his exposed area when he blocks. Water balloons can also be thrown at the feet. With strict hit rules, shields can be countered easily and plus they lack mobility. (shield blasters also tend to be weak and can be easily overpowered, while if the shield wielder is carrying another soaker, it cannot be pumped easily)