Minicannon

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
soakernerd

Re: Minicannon

Post by soakernerd » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:51 pm

I will use a backpack for this, but my idea was basically just a template for creating a pump-operated Supercannon which did not need to be filled from the nozzle. This design is basically a LPD APH with a horizontal firing chamber. The benefits of this over the LPD are the improved linear flow and the larger firing chamber.

Pumping in water forces the piston back, compressing the Air.

I will use a nozzle for this, and you could probably move the pump further back with an elbow and some pipe. I designed it this way to minimize pump lag.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:00 pm

Oh that's cool! I suggest large hose bibs for nozzles, probably 1/4" to 3/4" are good sizes. You could always drill PVC endcaps though, so you could do that because it's a lot cheaper.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

adronl

Post by adronl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:21 pm

The piston you have should work but you probably wont be able to really generate the power of a SC. This is due to the fact that the piston you are going to use is from a SuperSoaker unless it was made really well and is good and solid the SuperSoakers were never meant for high pressure like 70psi or above. The other reason is with the higher pressures the air will probably start to force its way around the piston because the O-rings aren't forced against the walls . The pistons in the SC guns seal better because the design utilizes the high pressure to seal.

Your gun should work well though and have better pressure than a non modified stock soaker maybe even better than a modded gun. It should be more durable if built solid but don't expect amazing range on the riot blast.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:50 pm

Wait! I thought the Waterzooka was a homemade (here's a link) It actually should work well because the Waterzooka is a homemade piston-powered gun.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

adronl

Post by adronl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:31 pm

Whoops my bad I was thinking of the SS Bazooka I thought it was called a waterzooka it used a quick fill had a translucent green tube with a piston in it, anyway. Yeah those are pretty cool.

I actually said it would work just probably not over 70psi. I doubt that will be a problem I don't think the volume of the air will compress to that pressure unless already pressurized or aided with an air valve. If the parts are from a homemade it will definitely get better range than a modded stock gun.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:38 am

That looks pretty cool. I might make something like that sometime...