Sniper Scope

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
TheArbiter97

Sniper Scope

Post by TheArbiter97 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:27 am

ok so as you all know i am making a water gun sniper rifle but the problem is that since i live in malaysia 1$USD is multiplied by 3.5% precent so when i google ebay.com.my .my is for my country and the cheapest i find is about 2-3k

and dont tell me your parents are willing to buy you a 3k sniper scope?

so i searched for a mini telescope(since mini monokular) won't get me anywhere and there is this brand(only one)called Huaxiang and though they are cheap they are not waterproof so any suggestions?

Drenchenator

Re: Sniper Scope

Post by Drenchenator » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:44 pm

How far do you plan to shoot?

Most water guns don't shoot farther than 40 feet (12 m), so a scope is pointless. Even the most powerful water guns have trouble getting past 70 feet. In other words, I don't see a situation that warrants a scope.

I hate to break it to you, but you can't use a scope in water gunning.
Last edited by Drenchenator on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:50 pm

I have seen scopes before, but only on WBLs. There is an article somewhere (and I can't seem to find it) that has I think a 12K with a scope. He shows how he aims with it.

Arbiter, Drench is right. Scopes are pretty pointless unless the water gun could shoot like 100 feet or something.

Well, scopes are good for one thing however. Intimidation! That would be the only reason I'd put one on.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

TheArbiter97

Post by TheArbiter97 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:05 pm

well guys how far can 300 psi push water cause i have 2 things now

1.i have bought my air compressor but when i tried it out on a car all hell broke loose my heart pumped as fast as it can :eek: so how can i silence it?

2.as a said 300 pounds per square inch should be quite far

my locations:a rooftop,inside of a house,quite far lets say near a bustop

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:05 pm

You can't silence the air compressor. It makes the noise and their is nothing you can do about it. But most air pressure water guns get filled with air and water before being used, so I don't see how this is a problem during a water battle.

300 psi is rather high. It's much higher than the pressures in most homemade water guns. But 300 psi is well past the pressure limit of most PVC pipe, so unless you are making this out of metal, 300 psi is too high. Are you making this out of metal?

Moreover, pressure alone doesn't always get range. The stream must be well laminated and the nozzle must be the right size. Super Cannon II got 73 feet at 100 psi. But if you can get 300 psi, I should expect at least 80 feet regardless of the nozzle and lamination.

TheArbiter97

Post by TheArbiter97 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Drenchenator wrote:You can't silence the air compressor. It makes the noise and their is nothing you can do about it. But most air pressure water guns get filled with air and water before being used, so I don't see how this is a problem during a water battle.

300 psi is rather high. It's much higher than the pressures in most homemade water guns. But 300 psi is well past the pressure limit of most PVC pipe, so unless you are making this out of metal, 300 psi is too high. Are you making this out of metal?

Moreover, pressure alone doesn't always get range. The stream must be well laminated and the nozzle must be the right size. Super Cannon II got 73 feet at 100 psi. But if you can get 300 psi, I should expect at least 80 feet regardless of the nozzle and lamination.
metal is the barrel the rest are plastic

i will walk you all with the schematics soon when i get everything

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:19 pm

metal is the barrel the rest are plastic
A water gun is only as strong as its weakest part. The gun will break then. Just because one part is stronger, doesn't mean that another part is too. The plastic is the weakest part and will not take much pressure. I suggest you switch to using PVC or steel piping for all the pressurized parts.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:04 pm

Arbiter, I hate to be like this, but this is unsafe. 300 psi hurts and even with metal pipe, if you drop it, it could blow.

Some of the plastic pieces you plan to use aren't even pressure rated. This is an explosion waiting to happen.

I would go for like 100 psi at the most - 300 could shoot someone off a building. Make sure all pieces need to be pressure rated.

I like the whole idea of a sniper, but sniping is just not a part of water warfare safely. You still cannot shoot a 300 psi blast at someone 40 feet away.

Your project is unpractical, clean it up.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:10 pm

I would go for like 100 psi at the most - 300 could shoot someone off a building. Make sure all pieces need to be pressure rated.
None of his plastic is pressure rated, so I would be surprised if it can take 50 psi. Soda bottles, I think, can only take about 60 psi. In this current planned state, it's just a bomb, not a water gun.

300 psi couldn't shoot someone off a building, but I'd bet it would hurt and leave a mark.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:41 pm

Was kinda jokin' 'bout shooting someone off the buildin'. It would hurt, though.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:32 pm

Water guns, even high-powered ones, don't shoot very far. So for a scope, I'd suggest using a monocular, or a telescope finder. It will look the part and be affordable. You'll probably find it more useful for scanning the landscape than actually aiming mind.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Ya, just something that increases the eye's range is better because water guns have sloping shots, not straight like real guns. In fact, you don't even need to put it on the gun, just use it to scan around before you fire. Scopes are very expensive. Binoculars are actually a good choice too.

How far are you planning your gun to shoot? Scopes don't do anything unless you are hitting ranges as far or longer than SuperCannon II.

The other thing you could do is add cross hairs to a monocular or telescope finder. This would be similar to a scope. All you need is some wire, a protractor, and some glue or another way to put it on.
SPLASH! You're dead!

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:56 pm

Scopes don't do anything unless you are hitting ranges as far or longer than SuperCannon II.
A scope is pointless even in this situation. I'd say you'd need to shoot at least 125 feet before you need a scope. SuperCannon II lacks a good place to put the scope too. But if you can get a gun to shoot 125 feet, I'd say a scope would be a good idea, since you likely won't see the target well.

But the real reason you don't need a scope is because you can see the stream during the shot. You can see where it hits and where it lands, so if you're off target, you can just move the stream. It's no bullet; it's a stream and it lasts a few seconds. So if you miss, you can aim again during the shoot!

If your shot time is less than a second though, an aiming device might help, since you can't see the stream like how I described before. But the stream doesn't follow straight line; it's very curved. So a scope won't work well in a first place; it's based on a straight line.
Last edited by Drenchenator on Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:50 pm

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I noticed that the Shot Blast has the Nerf Tactical Rail allowing for any Nerf accessories to be put on the blaster. Not that it would be of much use, but interesting and a bit depressing.

@Juch: Was this the 12k Sniper you were talking about?
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:18 am

The Nerf N-Strike attachments are mostly gimmicks, and not only does the Longshot scope not zoom, it doesn't even provide a way to line up the poorly printed "crosshair" properly. (which btw, half the "scopes" they make have the crosshair positioned or rotated incorrectly.)

Some of the sight attachments may be slightly useful, but I don't see a situation to warrant their use, especially when the Shot Blast hardly gets any range anyway.