Sniper Scope

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
steelboot

Re: Sniper Scope

Post by steelboot » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:33 pm

Yes, I did say in my last post that they wouldn't be of much use.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:21 am

I personally didn't think it was worth bumping the topic for to begin with, but if that's going to happen, we might as well explain the whole thing which was what I was doing. Sorry for the redundancy anyways.

Sights would probably be useful on WBL's but creating them is tricky due to the lack of consistent shot arcs. Still, having a center point of reference may help. I should look into a simple solution if it's worth it.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:28 pm

I think a WBL would do better with a pressure gauge, an elevation angle gauge, and a table that relates pressure and elevation to range.

Though a sight would be good for handling the horizontal aiming, especially if you're trying to hit something at a distance where doing it by eye isn't accurate enough.

Then again, I don't know how precise WBLs are. They're smoothbore air cannons, so perhaps not very.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:19 pm

In the older days, tables made for artillery only needed two factors: angle and distance. For WBL's, not only do we add pressure, but there are many out-of-control variables when firing which may nor may not make a significant difference to the trajectories. Each balloon is different, be it shape, material thickness, etc. and each sabot may have not been cut to exact sizes, making some sabots seal better than others. Sabots also seal better when wet. Thus with these variables, accurate firing may not be possible at a distance, though it seems like it never was to begin with since anyone who hears the shot will likely be prepared for it.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:46 pm

A laser pointer would be a much more effective sight, and it takes no skill to use. Once it is calibrated, the gun is able to be used by anyone.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 am

Maybe, but if you're close enough to see the laser, wouldn't it be easier to just shoot without it? It might work okay in night battles, but not in daytime battles.

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 am

I disagree. Laser sights have proven, in my battles, to be moderately effective. However, I only recommend having it turned on when it's on the enemy's back. If you always have it on, you could accidentally shine it in another's eye. If using a laser sight, make sure it's easy to turn on and off.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:56 am

Hmm... I would imagine that they're only a little useful for night battles. They are very cheap to get, though - you can buy one at the dollar store where I live.

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:16 am

Yeah, you can get one for a dollar where I live too, but if you want a good one you might have to pay up to $15. But seriously, don't judge against laser pointers. I have firsthand experience - they're very useful
steelboot pwns n00bs
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:23 am

How would you make them water resistant? They also only seem useful for firing from the hip, though I guess that is useful since there may often be run and gun situations where you don't have time to aim as percisely and have to rely on intuition.

I don't think laser pointers would be useful for WBL's unless at close range though, otherwise it's hard to see the laser and a red dot would do a better job.

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 pm

@C-A_99: Make what water resistant? The pointer? I have mine covered in duct tape with a hole just the size of the button to turn it on and off and space enough for the beam to escape. Laser pointers are useless for WBL's, and I agree the red dot would be better.
steelboot pwns n00bs
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:28 pm

For a WBL I am just using first hand experience, as in this many pumps aimed at that angle goes X feet. But shouldn't a laser pointer still work? You would just have to make an effective aiming device using a protracter.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:08 am

Laser pointers:

-should only be used on blasters
-at close range are very effective
-shouldn't be used with WBL's

-reason: WBL's fail at close range, and at long range the WBL would normally be angled, and if not you wouldn't be able to see the dot. A red dot sight or even a scope is better.
steelboot pwns n00bs
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

Comrade117

Post by Comrade117 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:35 pm

For WBL you can use small transparent plastic plate. In center of plate draw red + (or triangle,circle...). Than draw small lines or dots below +.

Than place rock or something far away from you, on flat ground. Now, aim with the first line or dot directly at your target and fire. Measure the distance between you and the fired water balloon. Measured distance write on the plate, left or right from that line.
Repeat the procedure until you have marked all lines.
So, if you precisely estimate distance between you and target in real water war, you can easily hit him with your WBL.
No escape. No mercy.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:26 pm

This thread is several months old and there is no use for building something like the longshot's scope which can't even line up a target anyways. Aside from markers to estimate range from dropoff, you need a sight to line up the barrel. Even then it probably won't be very accurate.