Power Pak w/ 8 chambers

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
USSA

Post by USSA » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:34 pm

Here is my concept: make 8 cps bladers encased in 3"pvc all connected to one big 1" thick oval made out of pvc (using T spliters) then at one end of the oval would be a connection to a 3 foot section of hose. This would in turn be connected to a ball valve a double male thread and a hose head. To pressurize you would screw off tmale thread and hose head and connect another hose. After pressurazation you would close the valve and reattach the hose head and thread. you guys are the experts so can you find any flaws? Thanks in advance.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:10 pm

Weight? :D

Yeah, I've had this kind of idea myself, I'm just waiting until I have some experience with making ONE CPS chamber. Then maybe the Spinner Six-Pack will come ^_^
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:43 pm

There are several flaws.

The biggest is the number of chambers. 8 is way too much, do you want to carry 20 liters of water? Here's something you should always consider when making homemades. 8 also may be too much for the hose to take. I would stay with something lighter like 4, if you pressurize it like Leftovers was that's about 12 liters, more than enough. Connecting all that in an oval also will be uncomfortable, it would be better to put them in a wide rectangle formation. Remember to calculate the size of this thing, as well as how much water and such it's going to hold. I am writing an article with a lot of this stuff in it, including how to find out how much water is in a cylinder, cube and more. I know it's a lot, but it's what you have to do to make a good gun. I didn't need to worry about that stuff with Leftovers as it only holds 3 liters, but I did when I designed my next PowerPak like one, 4 chambers and 1" ID PVC.

A second error is where you are pressurizing it, it does not allow you to fire it while you are filling, that makes a difference. If you put a check valve and a few other things on one of the T connectors, you could make it fill like a normal gun with one of the gardening QFDs. I've tried it, it works good, no valve turning or anything, you just turn off the water and take the QFD out of a 1/2" ID piece of PVC because it fits snug in it.

The third error you did not say, but you should know. To get high performance, you need to have internals with as large of a diameter. If your internals are considerably larger than your nozzles, you'd be ok, like on Leftovers, the nozzle is 5/64" and it uses 3/8" tubing, I think that's a ratio of 1 to 6. The more the better, but don't go and buy tubing that is huge in diameter, 5/8" should be good for most nozzles sizes, maybe not 20X and more but most.

USSA

Post by USSA » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:55 pm

for error 1 woops I guess that would way quite a bit. I guess I'll use only four pipes.

for error 2 I realize I couldn't fire at the same time. However being able to do this would be useful so on that note what should the check valvle be rated at. (psi) I probably will do the same thing as doom did on the 2L. Simpler

for error 3 I was intending to use the 1" pipe for the tubing. (I was going to use the walls rather than an internal piping)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:26 pm

The check valve wouldn't have to hold more than 30 psi.

I would recommend that you make the internals out of PVC because it would hold together better. I'll take a picture of what it should look like with some of my leftover PVC, I'll post it later. It would work better with the check valve because tubing only check valves are hard to find.

USSA

Post by USSA » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:49 pm

great thanks this'll help me a lot when I make it keep it comin