Compressing CPS from the outside

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Spinner

Post by Spinner » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:51 pm

Originally posted by DoomSoaker@Mar 5 2004, 05:45 AM
I meant the air pressure would rupture the CPS chamber too btw.
Which CPS chamber? The one it's surrounding? Any suggestions for safe pressures?
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

THIRST

Post by THIRST » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:30 pm

Ah, ok, it just shows how little us inexperienced users know :Hey, that's funny.: Thanks for explaining, im learning...

THIRST

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:56 pm

It's ok, I was a real inexperienced user just 2 years ago. I don't even think I've been around for 2 years yet.

Spinner, the chamber the CPS bladder is in will not rupture. In this situation, you'll have to think about what the weakest part is, your design is only as good as it's weakest part. The CPS tubing is flexible, soft and can split. PVC or metal is hard, designed for strength. The best way to increase power of a CPS bladder other than k modding or collosusing would be to use a spring in a turn on or off thing so that you can pump it easier. I've tried nearly everything to push the water out faster, from bungie cords to electrical tape. Air would seem better than some of my other ideas, as long as the pressure isn't high enough to break the bladder. No tests have been done on that though, I'm very sure it's not the PSI rating that comes with the tubing, 35 PSI is what the tubing I bought was rated at. That's really low, because it was meant to be low, something like 100 PSI would be better. Maybe you could try this stuff spinner, it sounds like a semi-good idea, don't be discoraged, I could be completely wrong and the tubing won't burst even at 200 PSI. I doubt that it will get that high, but it's worth a test, I actually am not doing is myself because that's like $30 worth of materials.

toothpickmatt

Post by toothpickmatt » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:01 am

I think its a good idea... but that may be b/c we came up with some thing very simular ... I wanna say aobut a year ago put up some posts but nobody showed much interest at the time. me and my little brother had started on gathing materials, but it never got much past that... so yeah... if we have some free time durring summer it may see some work =)
but yeah man definitaly play with it and see if ya can get it to work... I dought you'll really blow anything. =D

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:15 pm

Originally posted by DoomSoaker@Mar 5 2004, 05:56 PM
The best way to increase power of a CPS bladder other than k modding or collosusing would be to use a spring in a turn on or off thing so that you can pump it easier.
What spring thing?

I think I will try this. Suggestions on good CPS bladder construction please?

Thanks.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:26 pm

Nevermind the spring idea, I think I'm one of the few who understands it.

You would have to buy latex rubber tubing from http://www.mcmaster.com and all the PVC and such to hold it in. I would recommend 4" PVC and buying one foot of tubing. This thing will be loooonnnngggg to allow the tubing to expand fully, if you use 1 foot of CPS tubing it could expand to about 3 feet. Remember to use tubing clamps and make what I guess you could call a "dead end" on one end of the CPS tubing so the water can be held in. You'll probably need a tire valve thing so that you can add the air pressure too. Construction should be easy except for sealing the barbed fitting onto the CPS chamber. I could draw something up if you don't get what I'm saying. The price should be about $30 from my estimate.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:39 pm

I think I get most of what you're saying, but a picture would be great. Thanks.

EDIT: I'm just confused by mcmaster.com. Couldyou give me a list of stuff you think I will need including valves etc and links to the pages on mcmaster?

We were thinking of using several inner tubes and making a big CPS bladder (kinda 6 inches diameter when fully expanded). Do you think this would work?

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:10 am

A double post to draw attention to my edit ^ Feel free to delete this post when you've seen my edit, DoomSoaker. :)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:43 am

Couldyou give me a list of stuff you think I will need including valves etc and links to the pages on mcmaster?
No, strangely their website does not let links to individual pages work very well, and they use frames. Just do a search and scroll down the pages. You'll get used to it, if you want to find it faster in the just search the page, how to do that depends on the browser.

As for using inner tubes to make a CPS chamber, that may work good for a while, but from what I've heard it's not very powerful and will break after extended use. The CPS tubing is just fine for what we'll use it for.

I'll type up what you need later, right now I have to sleep. -_-

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:52 pm

OK, sorry for dragging up an old topic, but there's been progress.

Basically, yesterday I made a pretty poor CPS weapon (SC only at the moment) out of inner tubes. I've got a non-return valve at one end along with a pressure gauge, and the inner tubes were clamped on with Jubilee clips. It worked much better after colossusing (and shot time was awesome :Hey, that's funny.: ), but then I put 2 more layers on and pressurised it to 2 bar (30-40 psi, I think :blink: )...

Yes, it burst. :angry: At least I now know it can't take that kind of pressure.

So now I'm just looking for CPS tubing, which I will then collosus with inner tubes: exactly what type do I need?

Thanks...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:03 pm

You need to get the tubing from mcmaster.com

It's called latex rubber tubing. Get it as thick as possible and to the size you want it to. You may want to buy larger tubing to collosus it with, but make sure it is not the same diameter as the total tubing size, make it larger so it will slide on easily.

What's a non-return valve?

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:17 pm

You might call it a one-way valve. Water can enter one way, but can't come back through it. B)

I suspect http://www.mcmaster.com won't ship to the UK, I'll have to look for another website. Any guidelines for inner and outer diameters of the tubing?

Thanks...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:01 pm

We call that a check valve. ;)

I know mcmaster is a huge company, check if they ship to the UK.

The tubing should be as thick as possible so that it's stronger, and the inside diameter shouldn't be smaller than 3/8 or so inches. See what attachments and such your local hardware store has before buying the tubing, when I bought some I had to buy new tubing to PVC things because the ones I had were way too small.

Basically most everything is up to you, you can choose how thich it is and the tubing's diameter. Btw, because the tubing expands you can put a larger stuff on it, so instead of a 3/8" barbed fitting for 3/8" ID tubing, I used a 5/8" one, I could have gone even larger to like an entier inch but it would have been hard to attach.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:28 pm

Originally posted by DoomSoaker@Apr 10 2004, 02:01 PM
See what attachments and such your local hardware store has before buying the tubing, when I bought some I had to buy new tubing to PVC things because the ones I had were way too small.
What other ones would I need? I've got the check valve/pressure gauge at one end, and the trigger at the other end (a garden hose trigger attachment). I've used Jubilee clips to clamp the ends of the rubber. Apart from the pump mechanism, what else do you think I would need? <_<

Thanks for the sizes - that'll be handy.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:10 pm

Ummm, your trigger should be a ball valve unless you want something more advanced. I don't think I understand some of the parts you have, what are Jubilee clips? I'm guessing that they clamp stuff together.

The only attachment type things you would need are barbed fittings to attach the CPS tubing to the internals. I think I should have cleared that up.