Different check valves

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:39 pm

CROC, are those US dollars?

Check valves indeed are expensive, and they have poor flow. Ben, you should really consider exploring homemade valves, perhaps to sell in a store. I might try making one for my CPH, because I'll need at least one small check valve, but I'm not quite sure. I'm not quite sure why the valves are so long. 1/2" check valves have 1" long sockets on each side and 2" in the middle. Commercial water gun valves are tiny!

The problem is testing. Configurations, spring strength, seals and all that *could* be a problem. I doubt it though--the designs were pretty solid, and I know the springs should be weak enough to apply maybe a pound of force per inch of deflection. Something should stop the spring from being compressed more than half an inch.

High-flow valves would be welcome for the second check valve in piston pumpers if they use large nozzles. I'm actually considering trying a new type of check valve - the inflow and outflow are opened and closed as the pump moves back and forth. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to reverse directions in mid-stroke.

CROC

Post by CROC » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Nope, those prices are CAD, but they're still outrageous
In Canada, the brass check valves are really short in comparison to the PVC check valve.
When my homemade is complete, I will have paid ~$50 CAD on just check valves, and the gun will be so heavy, that I could use it to strengthen my arms after it's done (when it's empty)
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:39 am

That's the advantage of swing valves. They have great flow and are only about 2" long. They also cost half as much as spring-loaded valves.
Also, my riot blast stopped 'pooping'.