PVC Designer

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Drenchenator

Re: PVC Designer

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:14 pm

Don't fret if you can't get it to work though. You can always go back to the tried and true method of design: pen and paper! Ben designed all his water guns this way, and they've built many far more complicated things without the aid of computers.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

CROC

Compatibility

Post by CROC » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:28 am

Ben wrote:I've never had success running this under Wine. I've also read that it doesn't work under Windows Vista. I don't think there's anything you can do about it unless Wine lacks some DLLs it needs. Run it from a terminal and post what errors you get. I'll compare it to what I get and see if I can figure anything else out.
I have a linux solution for you. Get VirtualBox. It lets you run operating systems inside operating systems, therefore allowing you to run a full copy of WinXP on your computer, and still have all the functionality of Linux. It can also access the internet if it is set up properly.
Innotek VirtualBox

For Macs, since there is no Virtualbox for Mac, there is a program that is well known called Parallels, which lets you run OS's in your Mac. Or, if you feel like it, there is Crossover, which I have not had much experience with, and try to run it.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:42 am

VMWare does the same thing and I mentioned it. I run Windows 2000 in it and I haven't had a problem yet other than missing DLLs (which is easily fixed).

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:07 am

The problem with virtualization is that it requires you to run the other operating system anyway. Which means expense (although I believe Windows 2000 is free now) and all the other problems associated with Windows/Mac.

Wine has to be updated for many programs, and with such a small user base for PVC Designer, I doubt anybody will update it. That said, it might work if you look for tweaks for other software produced with Game Maker.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Wow. I've never noticed this before. This will help me a lot. Now I don't have to use paint anymore. :) I never was that good with paint.
This program has every single type of fitting available right? It's not missing any fittings, is it?

I will definitely be downloading this in a little while. Thank you Scavenger, wherever you are!
Captain of the Catskill Mountain S.E.A.L.s (Soaker Elite Assault Legion.)

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:52 pm

Read the thread. It's missing plenty of fittings. The kind of stuff that's available for piping is incredibly diverse, a simple program like this is never going to cover it all.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:04 pm

I didn't really read much of the thread. Just the first page.

I downloaded it anyway. It will still help. Even if some fittings are missing, I could always do a complete drawing with paint if I need to.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it seems I can't find the program on my computer. So I have to open it right after I download it. But it says that windows can't run it because it doesn't recognize it.
Last edited by SEAL on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:46 am

Hmm, what version of Windows are you using? If it's recent, it might need to use a compatibility mode?

I agree with cantab, PVC Designer is a little limited and inflexible in terms of pipe selection, spacing, and angles. It's still a good way to get a rough idea out there - just don't expect the proportions to be perfect. Consider drawing on graph paper for that.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:10 pm

I'm using Windows XP. I'm a complete washout when it comes to computers, so I have no idea what a compatibility mode is. :confused:

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Compatibility mode allows you to run a program written for an older version of Windows if you have a newer version of Windows.

As for why it's not opening, I'm unsure.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:34 pm

It should run on Windows XP but will NOT run on Windows 7, period. I'm unsure about Vista since I never ran PVC Designer in the few months that I used Vista, but I don't think there's any way to get it working on 7. (Compatibility mode on W7 is almost completely useless too.)

But since you have XP, my guess as to why its not running may be because you have the 64-bit edition of XP. I'm not sure on that, but it's a possible reason. If your XP computer isn't very powerful (has less than 3 or 4gb total memory) then 64-bit probably isn't the issue.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:17 pm

Have you tried "XP mode". That's only on Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate. It basically runs XP in a virtual machine, so according to MS it will run anything that ran on XP.
Arsenal:

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:33 pm

I have no idea if I have the 64-bit edition or not. I use the family computer, because I don't have my own. My mom probably knows.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:48 pm

If it's Windows XP, you almost certainly do NOT have the 64-bit version.

It's quite probable there's something wrong with your PC.

Also, I would say that unless all of the following are true:

Windows is fully updated.
Your virus scanner is up-to-date.
You do your routine work as a limited user.

Then it is very likely you have malware on your PC. And once malware has got on, a 'normal' virus scan from Windows might not catch it.
Arsenal:

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:45 pm

#($*&@. i have the same problem as SEAL. stupid malware