Giant water cannon w/ 2 inch nozzle or more

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue May 09, 2006 9:30 am

If you want a howizter, build a Douchenator (possibly slightly longer for more range)

Assuming you want a water launcher/cannon (This seems similiar to Duxburian's idea):

Pour the water in through the nozzle, and then use a pump to pressurize. It will be hugely less work, as water is more viscous and weighs more than air (thus harder to pump per stroke), despite the fact that more strokes will be needed.

As I said before, this thing is going to end up flying backwards, unless you bolt it to a pick up truck (and even then - if you took the brakes off, it would probably start moving a fair bit)

If you bolt this to a shopping trolley, get in the shopping trolley and turn it on, if your output figures are correct then you could probably get it moving quite fast. It's probably going to be the only practical use for something that will recoil that much.

Not that I recommend stealing a trolley.

I believe that your output figures are probably off:

An APH with a 3/4" ID, running at around 100 psi, will have a max output of around 50x.

As pressure is force/area, a larger ID at the same pressures will have a roughly proportional output relative to the areas - this may not be true in reality, but in theory...

i.e. with an ID of 1 1/2", the area is four times that of the 3/4" mentioned above - four times as much water will be being pushed, but with the same pressure (so four times as much force to compensate - same stream velocity, but 4 times the output)

You suggested a 3 inch nozzle - this will be 16 times the area. Assuming 150 psi (slightly higher than you suggested before) the force pushing the stream will be 1.5 as much - stream velocity and output will be increased by 1.5 times (it's being pushed 1.5 times as hard, so it will go 1.5 faster)

Assuming all my logic is correct:

50x * 16 * 1.5 = 1200x max output - or 36 litres a sec - I think 60 litres a second would need pressures higher than you should be working with.

I can't do recoil calculations for this - I'm suffering mental block.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Wed May 10, 2006 12:50 am

I guess you did not full read it, my new estimate is 20000-30000 ml sec. When I say a massive stand think of a 3000-5000 pound water weighted stand. It will be about 20 foot long, another way is if I had a huge tree (read with 3 foot or more trunk diameter) which I would mount it to. Third option get a tractor or car and a 20 foot long trailer that has extendable stands that you see on large mobile cranes.
To tell you the truth, it could work as a base defense if you had:
  1. A base that could not be attacked from the back due to property lines and/or underbrush
  2. Had a huge tree where it could be mounted to or has enough room to bolt the stand to the ground (it also has mounting like a turret)
  3. Can store massive amounts of water (hundreds of gallons)
It is going to be more massive than any of you can imagine.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Wed May 10, 2006 12:58 am

Serious overkill. It's like trying to light a cigarette with a cruise missle. Pointless in 1HK, and in a soakfest, the goal is to not drown your opponent, just soak them.

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Wed May 10, 2006 1:17 am

I know, it is more of a pratical joke and a science thing together but the style of the pc counts a little more.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed May 10, 2006 6:57 am

If you bolt it to a one to two tonne stand, it might not move as much.

However, unless you intend to have a water tank which you can fill to weight it, it will not be mobile.

If you bolt it to something, add some soap to the chamber, you could use it as a home car wash... Make £5 a go or something - if it didn't damage the car.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Wed May 10, 2006 11:24 pm

The trailer idea was more for moving it from one place to another (another state). Hopefully I can get the pipes delivered next week.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 13, 2006 7:26 pm

Wow...I'm gone again, and I miss so much.

I think CRAZY Homemade deserves at least some credit--his estimates, unlike Duxburian's (no offense), take into account the amount of water one would need in an ITWC. Needless to say, of course, that still means these are terribly impractical.

Basically all the points against this have been made, so I have nothing more to add. If anything, however, I encourage CRAZY Homemade to not order the tubing or anything--this is a complete waste of time and money. Please don't build this.

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Tue May 16, 2006 11:53 pm

Thanks!
What happen if I told you I were to do it :D ?
However, I am not making it, instead I am turning my attention towards a large backpack (up to 8 gallons (there are people that can carry that quiet easily)). This would be perfect for people like dark ANNIHILATOR, Matt Mcmaster (a guy on our team) and other extreme heavy arms officer. Yes, even I can carry fifty pounds.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 17, 2006 12:05 am

Be sure to disclose, somewhere on the forums, information regarding your new backpack soaker. I'm happy for you that you decided not to build this crazy idea...

You can still get a ton of output, if that's what you were looking for, from a standard backpack homemade. Homemade riot blasts are easily 50X, often 60X, and possibly 80X; and it's easier and cheaper to get that with a CPH. They also don't gulp water so quickly, so it's a good deal...

I suggest you make one last post and then close this thread, as that would be appropriate in this situation.

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Wed May 17, 2006 12:18 am

I will disclose it, but later. However, with this giant thing I might make it when one day I have a huge tree house, however until that day, I will not.