Monster XL For Informal Auction

Advertisements on soakers for sale. Sellers post here!
EliteExis2000

Monster XL For Informal Auction

Post by EliteExis2000 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:29 pm

Hello all!

This is just my second sale, but I had such a great experience selling my CPS2000 and 2500 that I feel comfortable sending this big ole' soaker along as well.

A couple things first:

1) It's used, not NIB. There are the usual scratches, damage to stickers, that one would expect from a soaker that was cared for unprofessionally. Most importantly, one nozzle (on the left spray selector) was holed out, in an attempt to make an even larger flood of water for close ranges. It seems to have worked very well, but if you have special plans for all 12 nozzles, one has been enlarged a great deal.

2) It works wonderfully! I'm amazed that this gun, having sat in my basement for years at this point, still soaks as well as it does. I tested out all the nozzles, including the "cap" on the right spray selector, and they're working well, seals and all.

Now, because of 1, I'm not expecting anywhere near the $200 prices that are sometimes on Ebay. However, because of 2, I'd like to get a good amount for it. From what I've seen on these forums, the community here is very well-educated about all things soaker, and will know what's a reasonable offer and what isn't. Therefore, there will be no minimum bid.

I figure I'll let the bidding go until next Monday, at which point the highest bidder will be selected. FYI, I'm also putting this up on a local school's intranet, in the hopes that someone in the Western Mass Soaker Association might want to make an offer.

Thanks to everyone, and (I hope!) happy bidding!

Cooper :rolleyes:

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:01 pm

Unfortunately, I won't be able to buy this, but what is the "Western Mass Soaker Association?" Is it some type of school club or something?

However, it's nice to see that you've done a successful modification on this. My friend once tried to mod his MXL (I'm not sure exactly what he was trying to do), but all I know is that it didn't work out.

EliteExis2000

Post by EliteExis2000 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:45 am

It's a collection of area schools actually, but it really just amounts to a club.

Luckily, some of these schools are private ones, and rich parents represent more money for hobbies!

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:23 pm

So, do we bid on here? Are we supposed to send you a pm, or what?

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:41 pm

Generally you bid inside the actual selling thread, and then whoever wins trades PMs containing contact information. It's simple, but it actually does a decent job of imitating eBay; a public auction but with hidden contact info for security and safety. So pretty much, if you want this gun, place a bid now!

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:45 pm

Alright, then. I have a bid in mind, but I need to know where the gun is being shipped from. I live in California.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:01 pm

Actually, EliteExis2000's first auction revealed that he lives in Massachusetts...but still, a low bid now could be a real deal even with the shipping.

What range do you get from the drilled nozzle on the left nozzle selector?

It's funny...one of my friends has a broken MXL, and he says at one point he had tried to plug up one of the two nozzles with epoxy or something. I'm assuming he didn't know about the nozzle cap.

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:02 pm

I Might be willing to go $100 + shipping, depending on how it looks in the pictures there could be an extra +$20. Scratches don't bother me, as I plan on painting.

EliteExis2000

Post by EliteExis2000 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:09 pm

Well, it'd be coming from Western Massachusetts. As I said before, the "modified" nozzle was intended for closer ranges. I'll be happy to test, but it wasn't meant for distance!

As for pictures, I'll get some as soon as possible. At work right now, and tonight'll be busy. If anyone wants to bid, but isn't sure about how it looks, I apologize for the wait.

Until further notice, $100 is the lead bid, with the understanding that the pictures may change it.

Thanks Chewie and all!
Coop

EliteExis2000

Post by EliteExis2000 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:10 pm

Alas, work calls, so it might take me a bit to get back to the house and dig out the XL. I'll try to get some stats up here ASAP, but we'll extend the "auction" for a bit, till I can.

EliteExis2000

Post by EliteExis2000 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:39 pm

Unfortunately, a series of events has led to the Monster XL being inoperable... sorry all who were waiting!

:mad:

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:51 pm

Well, this is the right site to ask about fixing your problem. And anyway, some technologically-oriented people might offer to buy it anyway since it's such a deal.

EliteExis2000

Post by EliteExis2000 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:16 am

Well, if someone knows about Monster XL plastic molding, that might help--but anything short will be too little. I'm talking smashed: a friend of the family, who is a carpenter, uses our basement as a sort of makeshift workshop. Some cinder blocks were placed on this supposedly empty cardboard box... a lot of cinder blocks. :(

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:34 pm

Oh...well, that's certainly a shame. Some people might pay a couple bucks for a few of the parts (the nozzle system? The pump? Anything that's intact), but otherwise, I doubt you'll have much luck.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:23 am

They were just irresponsible if they put cinder blocks on a cardboard box. You can't expect a cardboard box to hold cinder blocks on top of it. I would ask for the gun's worth. If you break it, you bought it.

Take a picture of the gun's condition. It might actually be repairable. I've read about people replacing broken PC containers with pipe, but I've never seen a full reconstruction. Some people will be able to reconstruct it, so it might still be a good idea to sell it.