Vindicator vs. Monster X: who will win?

Post your epic water war tale!
JuchTurtles

Vindicator vs. Monster X: who will win?

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Earlier today, my friend and I had a water war. He had a Monster X (with modded riot blast nozzle) while I had WW Vindicator.

The fight went like this. We started out at opposite bases (treehouse and porch). I pressurized my gun, turned the nozzle selector to the soaking stream (5x), while my friend pressurized his Monster X and used the 8 1/2x nozzle (in other words, my friend had a stronger gun). I ran forward towards him. He stayed at the porch. I shot him in the arm, running. He opened fire. I was drenched!

I ran over behind a bush to re-pump. He also was re-pumping, and changing to the riot blast nozzle (crap!). I returned fire with the medium size nozzle (2.5x) from a distance. He changed to the 5x nozzle, and soaked me. Then I pumped again as I was running. He shot me with the riot blast.

I was tired, and soaked by the end (even though it was only about 15 minutes). That's what I get for using the Vindicator. Oh well. :cool:
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Re: Vindicator vs. Monster X: who will win?

Post by cantab » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm not familiar with either gun. How powerful is the Vindicator's soaking stream? 5x isn't a bad output, but what matters is whether that 5x is delivered with power - some guns suffer on their largest streams.

Facing the Monster X, I wouldn't have bothered with the Vindicator's smaller nozzles, unless there's a range boost.

The battle was obviously in favour on the MX, but the question is how much. The MX's stock max output is about 10x I think. I'd think the Vindicator would have a chance of winning with skill and/or luck.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:12 am

cantab wrote:I'm not familiar with either gun. How powerful is the Vindicator's soaking stream? 5x isn't a bad output, but what matters is whether that 5x is delivered with power - some guns suffer on their largest streams.

Facing the Monster X, I wouldn't have bothered with the Vindicator's smaller nozzles, unless there's a range boost.

The battle was obviously in favour on the MX, but the question is how much. The MX's stock max output is about 10x I think. I'd think the Vindicator would have a chance of winning with skill and/or luck.
Well, the Vindicator is actually weak. A 5x shot only has about a second of shot time (with a severe loss in range). The small nozzle gets a better range than the Monster (but not by very much), even though it's half the size.

The Monster crushed in this war! Easily!
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Okay, Juch, I'm going to dissect your post. I hope you don't find the below content offensive or over-critical. If you do, you get a cookie :) .
Well, the Vindicator is actually weak. A 5x shot only has about a second of shot time (with a severe loss in range). The small nozzle gets a better range than the Monster (but not by very much), even though it's half the size.
Um, no. The largest nozzle on the Vindicator, which is more like 6.5x than 5 x actually has the longest range than any of the other nozzles, maxing out at around 43 feet. Additionally, I wouldn't say it's weak. It certainly doesn't give the kickback of true CPS weaponry but it is in no way weak.

Now, tactics: If he has the high ground, stay out of range. If you're on level ground, the X's 8.5x should hit around 32-35 feet, and the Vindicator's 40-43. If he has porch high ground, the ranges level out at 36-38 and since you're running and he's staying still, it'll be easier for him to aim.
I ran over behind a bush to re-pump. He also was re-pumping, and changing to the riot blast nozzle (crap!). I returned fire with the medium size nozzle (2.5x) from a distance. He changed to the 5x nozzle, and soaked me. Then I pumped again as I was running. He shot me with the riot blast.
In the rest of the war, you took shots you shouldn't have taken and paid dearly. When you take a shot, you need to be certain it's a good one, because if you miss or barely hit him, while you're re-pumping, he'll have a clear shot.
I was tired, and soaked by the end (even though it was only about 15 minutes). That's what I get for using the Vindicator. Oh well.
The Vindicator is a formidable soaker. Don't punish yourself :) .
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:58 pm

I don't see the largest nozzle getting the farthest range (and you get like one second of shot time). It's definately not as powerful as a CPS or a Monster. I see the second-two nozzle getting the farthest range (and a more continuous shot for that matter).

I guess the Vindicator isn't weak, but it still isn't extremely powerful either. :cool:
SPLASH! You're dead!

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:46 pm

If it only gets a second of shot time and minimal range, the problem is obvious: you're not pumping enough. The Vindicator can take up to 40 pumps. You only need 25 or 30 for a 3 second stream on 6.5x. Pump more and you'll see the largest nozzle is great.

I actually use the 1.8x nozzle and the 3x nozzles much more than the 6.5x. The 1.8x shoots for more than fifteen seconds without re-pumping, which would easily outlast the 1 and 2 second shot times of the X. Dodge the low shot time blasts, and punish Mr. X when he's pumping with the 2.5x or 1.8x.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:47 pm

Yeah, the Vindicator has a decent size pressure chamber, similar to the CPS 1000. isoaker says the biggest stream should shoot for about three seconds.

Either like steelboot says, you need to pump more. Or it's possible you've got a dud individual gun. It happens. My Tiger Shark has an issue where the valve is full open when the trigger is halfway pulled - fully pulling the trigger part-closes the valve again, resulting in a weak stream on the biggest nozzle. Maybe your Vindicator has the same. (If it does, the simplest fix is to physically limit the trigger pull - you wouldn't even need to open the gun.)
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:22 pm

Alright, I guess I need to pump more. I didn't realize it, but I haven't done 40 pumps ever.
SPLASH! You're dead!